Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-26-2011, 03:22 PM   #16

I wouldn't expect too much, there's only so much discussion that's happened regarding product lines, and most of it likely only within a very small group. Maybe I'm off on this, but i doubt they have model/announcement ready on a full lineup at this point.
I would expect them to possibly outline some rough plans, such as perhaps expanding Pentax and Ricoh markets in the Americas regions, piggybacking on each for service/sales/etc.
Looking at their lineups is interesting - Ricoh has a specialized 'tough' camera (G700), several P&S class models, including a waterproof "tough" one, then the grx.
I could see them folding up the smaller sensor cameras between pentax and ricoh into one lineup pretty easily, keeping the GRX potentially with a K mount module.
that would make me wonder if there will be a "Q2" or nothing really resembling the Q in the next gen, IF the above happened and the Ricoh side took priority.

I can't see Ricoh touching any K5 replacement at this point, although hopefully they'll do some shakeups about Quality/testing and some PR..

The big question is what the R/P plans are around the 'one step down' (from APS-C/DSLR) mirrorless. The Q is nifty and all, but not in the class of NEX, which is lacking in the lineup, something in the range of ~CX, MFT, up to APSC, in a mirrorless, smaller design. Personally, I'd turn Q into the entry level on pricing fast, then there's pricing and features room for an 'upscale' mirrorless, otherwise you're competing against yourself price-wise. The next gen K-r might be interesting - I'd guess they'll let it come out as planned, along with a mirrorless > Q sensor camera, sitting pricewise between the K-r and the K5/K3.

Their statement about making Pentax competitive to canon/nikon is an interesting one, because with the Pentax lens lineup, they're going to need a new lens lineup..and if it's simply in a move to FF, it might make the most sense ($) to keep only a few of the crop DA lens lineup, replace them slowly with FF lenses retaining the K mount, and maybe overhauling SDM as part of it. The lens lineup gets kind of interesting, as really, who would want to manage 4 or more lens lineups (Q, 'new MILC' potentially, GRX, DA, FF, 645D/MF)? With the trends of smaller, smaller, and sensor improvements, maybe there's just no FF coming, but turning the APS-C into pro territory in the next gen or two, improving advertising, distribution, servicing, and having the 645D(2?) as the next step?

I think the potential for interesting news on the 1st exists, but I'm betting the next 6 months or so will become more interesting..

09-26-2011, 03:53 PM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rtpguy Quote
I wouldn't expect too much, there's only so much discussion that's happened regarding product lines, and most of it likely only within a very small group. Maybe I'm off on this, but i doubt they have model/announcement ready on a full lineup at this point.
I would expect them to possibly outline some rough plans, such as perhaps expanding Pentax and Ricoh markets in the Americas regions, piggybacking on each for service/sales/etc.

I can't see Ricoh touching any K5 replacement at this point, although hopefully they'll do some shakeups about Quality/testing and some PR..
The work on the K-5 replacement would have started before the K-5 was announced. There is a good chance that the K-5 replacement is 90+% ready to go to market. Will it be a 20MP Samsung sensor or a 24MP Sony sensor? Pentax probably tested both before making a decision.

Ricoh probably requested that the K-5 replacement be held until after they took over the company, but I doubt development was delayed because of the acquisition. The deal between Hoya and Ricoh was probably in place a month or more before it was announced and Ricoh has probably had input on future product from that point on.

Holiday buying season is right around the corner and Pentax needs a new toy to put under the tree. I'm not expecting much out of the announcement, but it is entirely possible that Ricoh wants to make a big splash with their entry into the DSLR business and acquisition of Pentax. But the announcement could just as easily be a corporate sleeper.
09-26-2011, 04:22 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Since Ricoh specifically mentioned the 645d, I believe some new lenses for it may be in the works.
I also think a K-Mount GXR module will be announced.

However, I don't know if it will happen on the 1st...but soon thereafter.
09-26-2011, 04:26 PM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
it is entirely possible that Ricoh wants to make a big splash with their entry into the DSLR business and acquisition of Pentax. But the announcement could just as easily be a corporate sleeper.
My money is on the sleeper. Sorry.

09-26-2011, 04:36 PM   #20

I'd like to see a K-5 Super (before I go out and buy a K-5!), upgraded AF and SR and a few firmware additions from the raft of wants/thoughts of the users.
09-26-2011, 04:45 PM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by brembo Quote
I'd like to see a K-5 Super (before I go out and buy a K-5!), upgraded AF and SR and a few firmware additions from the raft of wants/thoughts of the users.
I see K-5 and K-r Supers maybe with articulating screens, better AF, and video controls. Same sensors. Pre-Christmas update. Maybe a 645D lens announced.
09-26-2011, 05:28 PM - 1 Like   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'd be happy with a lens and camera roadmap to take the uncertainly out of the future.
And some new product announcements to reaffirm the commitment to the current Pentax owners.

09-26-2011, 05:36 PM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by 7samurai Quote
I'd be happy with a lens and camera roadmap to take the uncertainly out of the future.
And some new product announcements to reaffirm the commitment to the current Pentax owners.
+1, but I expect nothing.
09-26-2011, 05:50 PM   #24

I just wish they would announce a camera that would automagically make all my photos look professional! With one single kit lens!
09-26-2011, 05:51 PM - 1 Like   #25
Veteran Member

Genuine QC kicks in after the Ricoh took over? No amount of new products or features excite me more.
09-26-2011, 05:51 PM - 2 Likes   #26
Pentaxian

How about a firmware update?
Thank you for using a PENTAX K-5 digital camera.
PENTAX wishes to announce the release of Firmware Update Software Version 1.12 for K-5.
Firmware in this document is the software that runs inside digital cameras.

Changes to V1.12
  • Updated EXIF make field to RICOH CORPORATION
09-26-2011, 05:59 PM - 1 Like   #27

Wanted announcements:
Immediate price cuts on all lenses and cameras to boost sales and market share
Re-release of all FA prime lenses (24mm, 85mm, 200mm macro, 600mm, etc..)
Re-release of FA 250-600mm zoom (and FA 80-200mm)

Last edited by pz1fan; 09-26-2011 at 06:07 PM.
09-26-2011, 06:18 PM   #28
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by JinDesu Quote
The K9 comes in Dalmatian, Golden Retriever, and Pitbull.
Brindle Pitbull would be nice.
I love brindle dogs.
09-26-2011, 07:17 PM   #29
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
Brindle Pitbull would be nice.
I love brindle dogs.
A brindle Great Dane for ya

Oh, and to stay on topic, this was taken with a K-5 and 70mm DA LTD, which doesnt have WR...a nice set of WR ltds would be nice
Attached Images

09-26-2011, 07:43 PM   #30
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I am thinking along these lines.....
  • October 1 - I am thinking that there are several possibilities that might be in play. Maybe, some announcements that were held up so that Ricoh could announce something upon their takeover.
    • The announcement that the acquisition of Pentax Camera assets by the Ricoh Corporation is complete. This is a given.
    • Possibly an announcement of the Kr replacement since the Kr is a year old on September 8 and is on a 12 month replacement cycle. This would also setup the entry level unit for Christmas sales, something that would provide Ricoh a nice present.
    • They could also do a 645Dv2 announcement, but there might not be sufficient time passed since the Red 645D was announced. They possibly could announce a 645D Super with some additional software based functionality (requiring some minor hardware upgrades) that were not ready to go on the initial model. The original 645D announcement was on October 12 2010, and is probably on a similar 16 month or so replacement cycle.
  • November - A lens roadmap for 645 and the K mount. Hopefully to show that Ricoh is making progress with Pentax.
  • January - Announcing the merging of the Ricoh and Pentax lines - after Christmas clearance of the model line(s) killed off.
  • February - Announcement of the K5 replacement or a K5 Super to bide some additional time on the K3 (maybe some better QC). The K5 (K10, K20, K7) were on a 16 month replacement cycle.
  • March - If the 645Dv2 was not announced before, possibly an announcement here.... Then again with such a high end model, they may stretch it out to 36 to 48 replacement cycle.
QuoteOriginally posted by JinDesu Quote
The K9 comes in Dalmatian, Golden Retriever, and Pitbull.

Actually IGgys (Italian Greyhounds) and Dachshunds
QuoteOriginally posted by pz1fan Quote
Wanted announcements:
Immediate price cuts on all lenses and cameras to boost sales and market share
Re-release of all FA prime lenses (24mm, 85mm, 200mm macro, 600mm, etc..)
Re-release of FA 250-600mm zoom (and FA 80-200mm)

I like this suggestion - the re-release with digital coatings - all the best Pentax lenses from the past - as Limiteds.

Last edited by interested_observer; 09-26-2011 at 07:51 PM.