Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-01-2011, 07:06 AM   #121
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Asahiflex Quote
Statements like these seem to bode well for Pentax:

"We, PENTAX RICOH IMAGING will further strive to promote the digital camera business under the long thriving brand of PENTAX, and establish it to be a leading company in its unique path to be able to rank with other competitive top tier brands."
Agreed. It's boilerplate, but as far as boilerplate goes, it's encouraging.

10-01-2011, 07:16 AM   #122
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by the swede Quote
Well, Ricoh doesnt make the regular me too P&S camera, they will probably continue their niche. Pentax will probably make a few more P&S's, but the market is heading in a different way now. Mobile phones will take over the P&S segment. And mirrorless will be the new "my first real camera". hmm or maybe the second camera after the mobile phone........
I agree. Cell phones will eventually take over the P&S market. EVIL will be entry level for move ups and provide higher end options for higher end users. The X100, NEX-7, EP-3 are all attracting a higher end user. Olympus and Samsung have both indicated that a higher end "professional" EVIL camera is on the way. BSI sensors will eventually make their way up to 4/3 size sensors and we could see some significant improvement in 4/3 high ISO.

I would guess that Sony's SLT technology is a bridge technology to a mirror-less future for Alpha mounts. I am really hoping that Sony continues the A900 line with a OVF.
10-01-2011, 07:34 AM   #123
ogl
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
So we're all PRIC'ers now? 'K...
It's cool.... PRICkers ...
10-01-2011, 07:38 AM   #124
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
(...)

I would guess that Sony's SLT technology is a bridge technology to a mirror-less future for Alpha mounts. (...)
I agree with you but on one point: the mirrorless future for Alpha mount already exists, it's called NEXT... er... sorry... NEX.

(the "NExT" brand belongs to Apple; Sony coud not use it)

10-01-2011, 07:42 AM   #125
ogl
Pentaxian

PENTAX RICOH IMAGING EUROPE n.v. - Belgium, Zaventem

European head-office was in Germany and then in France...It's Belgium now.
10-01-2011, 08:16 AM   #126
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Emacs Quote
It's too artifical segmentation: there's nothing the DSLRs are any better than mirrorless cameras.
I'm sure DSLR will disappear (or take their niche, like rangefinders).
sure and yes and no

People will still buy a "DSLR sized" camera with a good grip, regardless of how the inside looks like. The manufacturers will make what we need and want, but the sure push us in directions.

Im one of those who will always favour the K-7/K-5 type of body, because it fits me so good. The technology inside it doesnt really matter for me and the ability to take pictures is in myself

I think the manufacturers know this and they wont let go the larger bodies "just because" mirrorless cameras at the moment tend to be small.
10-01-2011, 08:21 AM   #127

Going back a bit here to the announcement date, I suspect if there are going to launch something it will on the 6th at Photo de Salon in Paris, we know they are exhibiting there. A Saturday always was a highly unlikely day. I suppose they may just release details a day or two in advance to help draw crowds to the stand though. If they don't announce anything then I think it unlikely we will see much before next year as they will have missed the all important Christams rush, so why hurry.
Woody
10-01-2011, 08:46 AM   #128
ogl
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ukwoody Quote
Going back a bit here to the announcement date, I suspect if there are going to launch something it will on the 6th at Photo de Salon in Paris, we know they are exhibiting there. A Saturday always was a highly unlikely day. I suppose they may just release details a day or two in advance to help draw crowds to the stand though. If they don't announce anything then I think it unlikely we will see much before next year as they will have missed the all important Christams rush, so why hurry.
Woody
I think it could be October, 3.

10-01-2011, 08:53 AM - 1 Like   #129
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Emacs Quote
there's nothing the DSLRs are any better than mirrorless cameras.
I strongly disagree.
10-01-2011, 09:03 AM   #130
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
PENTAX RICOH IMAGING EUROPE n.v. - Belgium, Zaventem

European head-office was in Germany and then in France...It's Belgium now.
I think that Belgium is temporary. It is at the airport. There are a lot of big offices in Europe, so there is a restructure in the future I guess. One headquarter and several sales offices for different countries and languages.
10-01-2011, 09:07 AM   #131
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
I think that Belgium is temporary. It is at the airport. There are a lot of big offices in Europe, so there is a restructure in the future I guess. One headquarter and several sales offices for different countries and languages.
No, no this is something else, I believe.
I agree with Ogl, this is very weird. AFAIK Pentax Europe (which was indeed in Zaventem, Belgium) closed a couple years ago and Pentax.be website is operated by PENTAX Europe Imaging Systems SAS, France as indicated on the frontpage.

Very weird.
10-01-2011, 09:32 AM   #132

QuoteOriginally posted by ukwoody Quote
Woody
Agreed. Trade shows are busy places, and if they don't release/leak info beforehand they might be passed over for other interesting goings-on. I don't know if the mystery of the changing Salon de la Photo pdf file demonstrates much, other than management confusion (the '???' dslr silhouette was removed), but if the 1.5 yr refresh cycle on the top level model is to be assumed there won't be anything for Santa to bring us.

Maybe another fabric covered camera shape, or a body mock up if the body is going to change... which is another sore point. I don't like having to re-purchase grips and extra batteries because of some stupid marketing weenie trying to make a point that 'this is a new camera'. Maybe they'll shrink it enough that they can sell empty K10D/K20D shells for us to slide the new camera into to make it big enough to hold properly. Or maybe Ricoh is smarter, and will recognize that undersized cameras are a joke, and make a real camera. I didn't upgrade from the K20D to the K-7 because of the smaller size and change in grip/batteries. And I'm resisting the K-5 upgrade until I know what the new body shape is going to be, although I do like the K-5's performance.
10-01-2011, 09:51 AM   #133
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
No, no this is something else, I believe.
I agree with Ogl, this is very weird. AFAIK Pentax Europe (which was indeed in Zaventem, Belgium) closed a couple years ago and Pentax.be website is operated by PENTAX Europe Imaging Systems SAS, France as indicated on the frontpage.
A quick search showed that Ricoh Europe (Belgium branch) is located at Zaventem. Coincidence?
10-01-2011, 10:00 AM   #134

Does this mean that Ricoh is getting into the D.S.L.R. market? I still have my first Ricoh S.L.R. ,a KR5 Super 2.
10-01-2011, 10:03 AM   #135
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Asahiflex Quote
A quick search showed that Ricoh Europe (Belgium branch) is located at Zaventem. Coincidence?
and the future of that will depend on the freightservice that Ricoh wil heire in the future to bring Pentaxgear to Europe. It might be a different carrier that services another european airport and thus will relocate this small branche-office.