Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-26-2011, 08:02 PM   #31
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

How bout a firmware update that adds tethering for the K-5 and 645D, something easy.

09-26-2011, 08:04 PM   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
So, with the upcoming official execution of the Ricoh merger on October 1st, do you think Pentax will announce anything product-related while they're at it? My guess is that it will be something K-mount related.
Pentax has consistently been making announcements during the first week of each month this year- I hope that next week's isn't limited to "oh look, we merged".
Do you know something we don't, but can't tell us?

There isn't any information out there to say they would announce something besides a second mirrorless, but I don't think that's going to arrive until next year. Usually the rumor sites get news quite a few days before an announcement happens.

K10D & K20D (same body) >> K-7 & K-5 (same body) >> ???

Outright replacing the K-5 seems like a waste of a camera with life left, unless it was a K-5 Super using the same body for the most part.

Will there be three DSLRs in the lineup again, I wonder...
09-26-2011, 08:16 PM   #33

Overhauled firmware for manual video on K series with 720p 60 1080p 30/24 and h.264 as an option along with higher bitrate mjpeg. I'm about to buy a canon t3i for video if they don't...which would break my heart because the k5 rocks! But I need me some video support.....
09-26-2011, 08:46 PM   #34
Inactive Account

I'm hoping to see some new lenses available. Enough with the camera announcements, a few more DA* lenses wouldn't hurt !

09-26-2011, 08:58 PM   #35
Pentaxian

I would like to see a long-term roadmap after the merger. Pentax currently has 3 different mounts. The Ricoh GXR will make number 4. If (a big if) the much-discussed large sensor mirrorless is planned, then there's maybe a 5th mount. What new cameras and lenses do they have in the pipeline? Will any mounts be discontinued?

[/snark] I'd also like Pentax USA tell us when the O-GPS1 will be more than vaporware. [snark]
09-27-2011, 01:40 AM   #36
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Does anyone know whether Ricoh has it's own lens manufacturing facilities? Presumably it has some optical engineers of its own. I'm just thinking that resurrecting old (FA*) lens designs isn't feasible with Pentax's current manufacturing capacity and no FF camera.

Pentax was already working on 645D lenses so a 645D lens announcement wouldn't surprise me.

Falconeye had already suggested that the new mirrorless was likely delayed by the Ricoh deal.

So all in all I don't expect much. Maybe an official statement of intent by Ricoh (not quite a roadmap) but I'd be surprised to see any new products.
09-27-2011, 01:52 AM   #37
Banned

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by interested_observer Quote
I am thinking along these lines.....
  • October 1 - I am thinking that there are several possibilities that might be in play. Maybe, some announcements that were held up so that Ricoh could announce something upon their takeover.
    • The announcement that the acquisition of Pentax Camera assets by the Ricoh Corporation is complete. This is a given.
    • Possibly an announcement of the Kr replacement since the Kr is a year old on September 8 and is on a 12 month replacement cycle. This would also setup the entry level unit for Christmas sales, something that would provide Ricoh a nice present.
    • They could also do a 645Dv2 announcement, but there might not be sufficient time passed since the Red 645D was announced. They possibly could announce a 645D Super with some additional software based functionality (requiring some minor hardware upgrades) that were not ready to go on the initial model. The original 645D announcement was on October 12 2010, and is probably on a similar 16 month or so replacement cycle.
  • November - A lens roadmap for 645 and the K mount. Hopefully to show that Ricoh is making progress with Pentax.
  • January - Announcing the merging of the Ricoh and Pentax lines - after Christmas clearance of the model line(s) killed off.
  • February - Announcement of the K5 replacement or a K5 Super to bide some additional time on the K3 (maybe some better QC). The K5 (K10, K20, K7) were on a 16 month replacement cycle.
  • March - If the 645Dv2 was not announced before, possibly an announcement here.... Then again with such a high end model, they may stretch it out to 36 to 48 replacement cycle.
Well for 645D maybe telling us wich lens is coming next year, since there is a lens roadmap, but not known wich portraitlens to come. For 645D-II only if there will be a second model with eiter KAF50100 sensor or really revolutionair with a CMos sensor from Samsung. But then there is a great need for a new electronic lay-out with PRIME-III processor. I think that the current 645D stayes in production for at least another 18 months.

09-27-2011, 02:05 AM   #38
Pentaxian

I think so too, in the meantime a new firmware with practical (last menu modification recall, more USER possibilities...) and functionnal (tethering) improvements as well as some new lenses would be most welcome...

I don't believe in lens or whatever roadmaps to be an efficient way to market products, it gives strategic infos to competitors ... better sort out novelties with the positive surprise effect that this involves.
09-27-2011, 03:12 AM   #39
Veteran Member

If there is a new DSLR in the works, please let it keep the same sensor and processor as the K-5 and spend the R&D on a class leading AF system rather than the usual crap which we all have come to expect and deal with. Can you imagine a K-5 which behaved like a D700? A new sensor is pointless and a risky (remember the K-7?)

Jason
09-27-2011, 04:31 AM   #40
Pentaxian

Agreed on my side ; moreover, the A77's sensor seems terrible.
09-27-2011, 05:13 AM   #41
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Zygonyx Quote
If Pentax releases a follow-up to the K-5 with the Sony 24 MP sensor, I'm buying a K-5 as fast as I can...
09-27-2011, 05:18 AM   #42
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Zygonyx Quote
Not according to DxO.
09-27-2011, 06:26 AM   #43
Veteran Member

I don't expect any major change in the product families soon since anything being released this fall is bound to have been developed for quite some time by now. But I wish Ricoh gives some sort of a roadmap where the company is heading. Perhaps something general at first and a real product roadmap soon after this.
09-27-2011, 07:26 AM   #44
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by UdonUdon Quote
Yes, in the text, but the global note is 4 points behind the K-5 (78 versus 82), with no better achievement but a mere 0,3 points on colour rendition...

You can go and see the RAW samples on Dpreview for confirmation...

QuoteOriginally posted by Raffwal Quote
I don't expect any major change in the product families soon since anything being released this fall is bound to have been developed for quite some time by now. But I wish Ricoh gives some sort of a roadmap where the company is heading. Perhaps something general at first and a real product roadmap soon after this.
I agree that roadmaps are an indispensable internal and strategic tool.
But i doubt it is a good idea to make them public.

Last edited by Zygonyx; 09-27-2011 at 07:36 AM.
09-27-2011, 07:29 AM   #45
ogl
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by UdonUdon Quote
DxO is 3D mark for photography. We want to make photos not to measure SOMETHING.