Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 18 Likes Search this Thread
10-08-2011, 08:27 PM   #196
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
IMHO many salescritters steer customers to brands they've been instructed to push.
Having worked in commissioned sales, I can tell you that there are three types of salespeople. The first type pushes what they are told to push, a lot of times these are managers who are mindful of inventory.

The second type, and this is by far the majority, push the product that earns them the most commission. Now that's not always the most expensive product, proprietary brands have a lot more margin than third-party brands so they usually land you the most commission $$$ per dollar spent by the customer. Think filters - it's a lot easier to convince the average joe off the street to buy a $30 store brand filter than a $130 digital coated, low profile Hoya, and it probably earns them more commission. Some brands are better than others about margin, or they may have low margin, but offer a "spiff" or a bonus to the salesperson for selling a certain product. I don't know what kind of margins Pentax offers to dealers vs. Nikon or Canon.

The third type of salesman, which I like to think I was, listens to the customer, and tries to find the product that best suits their needs and their budget. I should, at this point mention that I am no longer in commissioned sales... Folks like that are rare and often don't last.

Last edited by maxfield_photo; 10-08-2011 at 08:37 PM.
10-08-2011, 08:45 PM   #197
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by maxfield_photo Quote
The second type, and this is by far the majority, push the product that earns them the most commission. Now that's not always the most expensive product,
Correct. Back in the very early 90's I worked for an Electronics Supplier. Other sales guys where all over the Mobile Phones that had just started hitting retail outlets... they thought selling these $1500 bricks was a ticket to high commissions.

However - the place paid Commision based on Gross Profit Margin. I made more commission each month selling $0.08c Resistors and $0.50 Capacitors because A: I could move dozens of the bastards ("You should buy some spares.. you never know... be a pain to come all the way back for a $0.08 component!"), B: they were all about 900% markup where as the phones and PC's where about 80-100%.

Last edited by adr1an; 10-08-2011 at 09:05 PM.
10-09-2011, 01:42 AM   #198
kff
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
24Mpix is only marketing trick... it is good but who need it really ?

better new 645D+ with high resolution, fall price of 645D to half ...

I think that they have to keep inovations like GXR with K, 645, GXR, Q and other lens mount modules ...
... for more usable system then other (for me to collaborate with tablets and its display >= 7'')

FF is Utopia at this time ... and if there is APS-C, 645 and Q sensors and mounts then it would be so stupid way.

Last edited by kff; 10-09-2011 at 02:14 AM.
10-09-2011, 06:14 AM   #199
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by maxfield_photo Quote
The second type, and this is by far the majority, push the product that earns them the most commission.
A good friend of mine used to tell me various tricks of selling TV's. At his shop they'd see to it that only the set with the top commission in each bracket would be properly tuned; all the others they'd subtly screw up to make the high commission unit stand out.

10-09-2011, 09:13 AM   #200
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
Yeah, that's what a guy in a local camera shop told me in 2009, just before the shop shut down.
Several camera shop owners have told me that Pentax used to be their #1 brand and money maker. I suppose that goes way back to when Pentax was the market leader. Then once Canikon became popular and flooded all sales channels (read internet and box stores) Pentax was still the main brand for many mom & pop shops because it was not as available in box stores and the little stores could maintain their margins. And also I suppose because they knew the product very well. One shop I stopped in had the owner's Spotmatic proudly displayed in the case with a number Takumars. He was quick to point out it was his first camera.

When Hoya bought Pentax that changed dramatically. Margins were reduced and the minimum order was increased dramatically. One guy told me he would have had to buy two years inventory at one time just to stay a dealer. So from very loyal brand supporters these small shops suddenly became major detractors of the brand they feel stabbed them in the back. Most I have visited still carry a good amount of used Pentax gear but nothing new. And they have nothing good to say about Pentax.

Alienating the only sales channel they actually had any presence in was IMHO the single biggest mistake Hoya made. These little shops were not selling lots of volume but they were selling to the real enthusiasts, the people who other people ask when they have a question about which camera to buy. And they were the only place you could actually pick up a Pentax camera and handle it. Very, very few of these left.

I know the time of these small shops is largely gone with the majority of sales going over the internet but I cannot help but think that having a demo camera in the case and a salesperson willing to suggest it to a customer is still a very good way to sell cameras. It will be interesting to see what Ricoh does about re-establishing sales channels.