Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-08-2007, 05:38 PM   #31

QuoteOriginally posted by RMabo Quote
But the body must support the technology in the lens, the body needs to be designed for the technology the lens have. Pentax current bodies does not support in-lens shake reduction.
No it must NOT, the in-lens IS is lens-and-only-lens-alone business. For the body it's just an ordinay lens, nothing more. Turn on the in-body LS, they will de-sync and go wild. But with in-body LS off it will be ok. Read the article I've linked to earlier in this thread, it's all there.

12-09-2007, 02:49 AM   #32
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by *isteve Quote
(b) some people are never happy!
You bet!

RH has already started writing on the new camera even before it comes out.
Herb would continue his rambling about the imminent demise of Pentax.
And Larry would probably find a deficiency in the K20D firmware and protest that it would not be fixed until K30D....

12-09-2007, 04:26 AM   #33
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by nosnoop Quote
You bet!

RH has already started writing on the new camera even before it comes out.
Herb would continue his rambling about the imminent demise of Pentax.
And Larry would probably find a deficiency in the K20D firmware and protest that it would not be fixed until K30D....

I wonder why some people are so predictable
12-09-2007, 08:15 AM   #34
ogl
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
New sensor had been developed as APS-C sensor by 4 companies: Trans Chip Ltd. (Israel) - already sold to Samsung, Samsung, Pentax and unknown 4rd - rumors - Sanyo, Casio, Cypress or Sharp (no true information).
All DA and DA* lenses are not developed to work with APS-H.

Canon had started to use 1.3 when FF had very high price and Canon makes now only 1 camera with such crop-factor for reporters. With very high price, although Canon is manufacturer of their own sensor. Leica uses Kodak sensor. It's too expensive to make and to use APS-H sensors. The price of APS-C sensor in production is very low now. And it's very profitable to sale APS-C DSLRs. How many users can buy APS-H camera from Pentax for 4000-5000 USD?

It's absolutely unreal situation for Pentax which work in the sector of DSLR under 1500 USD. A lot of DA lenses can't work at APS-H correctly.

There are no any rumors from insiders about new APS-H sensor. There is information about new APS-C sensor.

The 1.3x crop format will simply disappear in future. No good wide-angle and no good tele. Canon will offer new FF DSLR under $2000 USD and Nikon will make less expensive version of D3. No place for APS-H. To make APS-H sensor is expensive for manufacturer. It's simply as day. Canon and Nikon make the main money in DSLR market selling cameras with price under $1500. The best-sellers are not Mark EOS-1DMII/III.)) They keep very small niche.

12-09-2007, 08:33 AM   #35
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
New sensor had been developed as APS-C sensor by 4 companies: Trans Chip Ltd. (Israel) - already sold to Samsung, Samsung, Pentax and unknown 4rd - rumors - Sanyo, Casio, Cypress or Sharp (no true information).
All DA and DA* lenses are not developed to work with APS-H.
First let me welcome you to the forum. Now where in the world did you pick up this information? It sounds logical but can you verify any of it.

Thanks,

Ken
12-09-2007, 08:39 AM   #36
ogl
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by mithrandir Quote
While in the realm of speculating, has anyone considered the possibility of the new K20D sensor being a Kodak CMOS development using their new low noise/low light patents?
It could be...Kodak said that this technology would be used in new products in the beggining of 2008. This article in Russian.
[url=http://www.photoscape.ru/news/business/Kodak_new_censor/[/url]

Use google or altavista translator.
The last phrase -
The company has already begun to work with several leading manufacturers to introduce new technology. The first product using the new technology will be to test in the first quarter of 2008.
12-09-2007, 08:40 AM   #37
ogl
Banned

I've analysed the infromation from various sourses and from Samsung insiders.

12-09-2007, 12:29 PM   #38
Busiko

QuoteOriginally posted by RMabo Quote
But the body must support the technology in the lens, the body needs to be designed for the technology the lens have. Pentax current bodies does not support in-lens shake reduction.
In the Pentax SR system, as used in the K10D, the sensor which is moved orthogonally to compensate for the shaking can be substituted for a floating lens element. So the SR system can be formed into a lens body and there you have in lens IS.
12-09-2007, 07:02 PM   #39
Veteran Member

I've analysed the infromation from various sourses and from Samsung insiders.
Ah the Russian connection. Seems your ahead of the leaks from Malta this time around.....
12-09-2007, 10:57 PM   #40
ogl
Banned

As you remember I said about 30 Mp 645D - it was true - Pentax said about changing sensor from 18 to 30 Mp. And I said about new APS-C sensor from Samsung,
but Pentax had no time to put it in K10D.
Sensor is ready just now. It took too much time to arrange with new technology.
I have information that Pentax planned to show new products in Paris Photo Salon, but for some reasons delayed till January, 2008. I don't know why. Maybe they already started to produce new cameras to fill camera shop's shelves in February...
12-10-2007, 09:59 AM   #41
JMS

I have information that Pentax planned to show new products in Paris Photo Salon, but for some reasons delayed till January, 2008. I don't know why. Maybe they already started to produce new cameras to fill camera shop's shelves in February...
That would corroborate with a rumour started by Ben...
12-10-2007, 10:04 AM   #42
Veteran Member

I'm feeling increasingly skeptical that Pentax will be able to increase resolution and improve DR & high ISO performance at the same time. Granted, they haven't publicly stated that as their goal, but it certainly seems that it must be considering recent offerings from Nikon & Canon.

What I've noticed from looking at the high ISO samples of the 40D & D300 is that clarity and sharpness is sacrificed to reduce noise. This seems to be a compromise inherent to an APS-C sensor. The 5D is the only camera I'm aware of that can shoot ISO 3200 without a significant loss of detail, and without a prohibitive level of noise.

Sean Reid states in his review that he liked the K10D because it has one of the weakest AA filters of any DSLR he has tried. He appreciates this because it means the files from the K10D are quite detailed and stand up very well to the competition.

I fear that Pentax has abandoned this strategy simply to leap-frog Canon and Nikon in the APS-C megapixel race. If that is indeed true, I'll be very sad. I don't like the direction most manufacturers are going with AA filters & on-camera noise reduction, and I am still hoping that Pentax isn't swayed by this trend.

I guess we'll find out soon enough.
12-10-2007, 10:16 AM   #43
Veteran Member

At lesat with on-camera noise reduction you can usually turn that off. I'd rather use software on my computer if I really needed to clean up some noise rather than the built in noise reduction on the camera. Once I learned I could turn that off it has been off since. Then again I very rarely change my ISO from the lowest setting.
12-10-2007, 10:17 AM   #44
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by switters Quote

What I've noticed from looking at the high ISO samples of the 40D & D300 is that clarity and sharpness is sacrificed to reduce noise. This seems to be a compromise inherent to an APS-C sensor. The 5D is the only camera I'm aware of that can shoot ISO 3200 without a significant loss of detail, and without a prohibitive level of noise.

I fear that Pentax has abandoned this strategy simply to leap-frog Canon and Nikon in the APS-C megapixel race. If that is indeed true, I'll be very sad. I don't like the direction most manufacturers are going with AA filters & on-camera noise reduction, and I am still hoping that Pentax isn't swayed by this trend.

I guess we'll find out soon enough.
Good points. The sample photos from the Nikon D3 are also outstanding. Let's hope Pentax does not follow the trend. The weak AA filter on the K10D is one of it's best features.

Regards,

Ken
12-10-2007, 01:26 PM   #45
Veteran Member

The only other camera out there that tempts me right now is the 5D, for exactly the reasons I described above. (Yes, the D3 would tempt me too if I happened to have $7k to spend on a camera. I don't.) I love the idea of being able to shoot at ISO 3200 without a huge loss of detail or a ton of noise.

Since 95% of what I shoot are portraits in available light, this single feature would have a huge impact on my photography.

When I chose the K10D a while back, my needs were different (and more varied). If I had to choose today, I'd probably get a 5D. That's not a criticism of the K10D - I actually think it's probably the best all-around, mid-range DSLR out there. But my needs are much more specific now, and the 5D is unsurpassed when it comes to low-light performance (in its price range). I also love the idea of having one-stop narrower DOF for portraits.

The only reason I'm hesitating to buy a 5D, to be honest, is my infatuation with the 31, 43 & 77 Limiteds I own. I really have a hard time imagining selling them. I'm also hoping (although not optimistically) that somehow Pentax will pull off a miracle.