Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-29-2011, 03:57 AM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
It's sad really. Kodak was always an industry leader. As far as I know, Kodak even made the first digital camera. Still, their core industry always rotated around film and I guess they never dreamed that digital would pass up film so quickly.

09-29-2011, 06:09 AM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by aurele Quote
Kodak has such a big intellectual property, that i'm not worried about the reduction of their income related to their core industry.
Kodak does own a lot of intellectual property. The problem is that they are gushing money and will probably be insolvent within a year and they will have to start selling that intellectual property. Kodak is going to be sold off in pieces. CCD sensors are a dying technology, so I'm not sure anyone will buy their sensor division.
09-29-2011, 06:16 AM - 1 Like   #18
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
Kodak does own a lot of intellectual property. The problem is that they are gushing money and will probably be insolvent within a year and they will have to start selling that intellectual property. Kodak is going to be sold off in pieces. CCD sensors are a dying technology, so I'm not sure anyone will buy their sensor division.
CCD's are not dying. they have many uses outside mainstream photography. CMOS has its issues as well.
09-29-2011, 06:17 AM   #19
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
Not sure if that is a good move or not. If Kodak had a strong CMOS sensor division then I could see the advantage, but if Kodak had a strong sensor division they might not be in financial trouble.

Kodak owns the rights and patents to a lot of different technologies in the photographic world. They have value, and the name has value. But they have drifted into irrelevance. Ricoh could make a big splash and it would be good to see that happen.
While they may be behind on the cmos, that could be remedied. Currently, Kodak does have the 645D sensor tooling and the M9 ff sensor tooling. This is how Nikon has been slipping into their own sensor production.

09-29-2011, 06:31 AM   #20
Site Supporter

Kodak has no CMOS technology at all. They stopped production of the sensors they did have and sold off the IP earlier this year. Kodak does have a lot of patents, but how much are they really worth? The value of the portfolio will be decided by the ITC. Kodak has gone all in on Apple/RIM lawsuit. They have one decision against them, and one victory on appeal. If the ITC finds in their favor then they can expect a bidding war, if they lose then it's game over. If the best patent they can come up with for a lawsuit is JPEG preview then the portfolio must be pretty weak.
09-29-2011, 01:47 PM   #21
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Aristophanes Quote
CCD's are not dying. they have many uses outside mainstream photography. CMOS has its issues as well.
Market share for CCD sensors has been declining for years. CMOS is passing it in almost every application. Cell phone market is turning to CMOS ans several security camera makers have turned to CMOS. There is not real growth for the CCD market, so there will be no real investment.
09-29-2011, 02:14 PM   #22
Site Supporter

CCDs have many industrial applications, and NASA still favors them. Camera makers favor them because they are cheaper to manufacture in the smaller sizes.
09-30-2011, 12:51 AM   #23
ogl
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
Kodak has no CMOS technology at all. They stopped production of the sensors they did have and sold off the IP earlier this year. Kodak does have a lot of patents, but how much are they really worth? The value of the portfolio will be decided by the ITC. Kodak has gone all in on Apple/RIM lawsuit. They have one decision against them, and one victory on appeal. If the ITC finds in their favor then they can expect a bidding war, if they lose then it's game over. If the best patent they can come up with for a lawsuit is JPEG preview then the portfolio must be pretty weak.
Wrong. Kodak has CMOS technology. First FF camera from Kodak had 14 MP CMOS sensor.
FillFactory made it. But it's Kodak sensor.
http://www.dpreview.com/news/0209/02092303kodakdcs14n_qanda.asp

http://www.kodak.com/ek/US/en/Image_Sensor_Solutions/Products/Discontinued_Products.htm

09-30-2011, 02:15 AM   #24
Pentaxian

Kodak sold it CMOS business. Hello, OGL, go back to earth !
09-30-2011, 08:25 AM   #25
ogl
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
Kodak sold it CMOS business. Hello, OGL, go back to earth !
Who is the buyer? Proof link, please.
Kodak is the pioneer of CMOS technologies.
Kodak has developed a number of different technologies that improve the image quality available from CMOS.

I know that OmniVision Technologies purchased image sensor-related patents from Kodak. It's true.But not only CMOS.
It's hard to say that Kodak sold ALL CMOS technologies. Do you have such info?

Thibs, you are in my ignore list for almost 1 year. Only you from this forum.
Do you really think that if you would sell your camera, you lose the ability to make pictures?
09-30-2011, 08:34 AM   #26
Banned

I wonder then, who Leica will turn to? this can’t be good news for them, as their M9 has gained them more popularity and business than I think any other camera since the M3.

QuoteQuote:
If you're a film photographer get ready for your hobby to get really expensive.
thats not necessarily true, because there is more than one major player in the film game. besides that, there are other companies stepping up to fill in the gaps and the demand that is albeit slowly but steadily rising, to fill the demand for film. if kodak goes by the wayside or sell things off, that doesn’t mean that all that film will disappear. someone could start manufacturing kodak formulations under a different name, or another company could buy out the film division all together and continue to make kodak film without kodak.
09-30-2011, 08:42 AM   #27
Pentaxian

Well, Ogl, tell me what CMOS product Kodak still sells.
They may have patents of course, it is valuable, but patents do not mean they can tomorrow come with up to date products.
They would NOT have sold their CMOS factory if such was their plans.

As for the ignore list, I do not give a damn, and it proves you don't understand the use of such list.
Otherwise, you wouldn't bother read my posts.
09-30-2011, 10:07 AM   #28
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Kodak as we know it is toast. Will someone buy the film business? Probably. Will someone buy the CCD division? Probably. Kodak has valuable assets and a brand name that is very valuable, but they have not been able to leverage those assets. They are gushing money at an alarming rate and bankruptcy is the only way I see them being able to restructure. Kodak needs to merge or be bought if the brand it to survive.

The question is not "Does Kodak have value?", but "To who does Kodak have value?" What company would benefit the most from acquiring Kodak and do they have the money to acquire Kodak? My guess it that Kodak will be broken up and sold. Olympus use to use Kodak CCDs in 4/3 cameras and I believe they still use Kodak sensor for their medical imaging division (which is very strong). Is it worth it to Olympus? Ricoh has the resources and if they want to grow their camera business Kodak has the brand and assets to fit in with the company.
09-30-2011, 12:14 PM   #29
Pentaxian

George Eastman knew when the work was done...

09-30-2011, 01:24 PM   #30
Site Supporter

Are you sure this is not General Electric note ?