Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-02-2011, 06:38 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Pentax ricoh imaging company, ltd

QuoteQuote:
Ricoh Company Ltd. : Ricoh Establishes PENTAX RICOH IMAGING COMPANY, LTD.

Tokyo, October 1, 2011–Ricoh Company, Ltd. (President & CEO: Shiro Kondo; hereinafter referred to as "Ricoh") announces the establishment of PENTAX RICOH IMAGING COMPANY, LTD. as its wholly owned subsidiary on October 1, 2011.

Earlier, HOYA Corporation (President & CEO: Hiroshi Suzuki; hereinafter referred to as "HOYA") transferred the PENTAX Imaging Systems Business to PENTAX Imaging Corporation, a newly established subsidiary of HOYA, through an absorption-type split (spin off) and business transfer. Ricoh has acquired all shares outstanding in PENTAX Imaging Corporation, as of today, completing the transaction. Ricoh also changed the name of the company at the same time.

By forming the new company, Ricoh will strive to further bolster consumer products and services, in addition to its existing digital camera business
Ricoh Company Ltd. : Ricoh Establishes PENTAX RICOH IMAGING COMPANY, LTD. | 4-Traders

About Hoya.........
QuoteQuote:
Since its establishment in 1941 as Japan's first optical glass manufacturer, HOYA has pursued a basic business strategy of being "a big fish in a small pond." The "pond" is the market and the "fish" is the share of that market. This expresses the basic strategy of gaining a dominant position by capturing the top market share in limited niche markets. We believe that finding many small ponds and creating our own new ponds will translate into sustained growth for the HOYA Group as a whole.
May global warming evaporate your pond............
Sorry, personal rant...

Last edited by jeffkrol; 10-02-2011 at 06:48 PM.
10-02-2011, 07:08 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I wonder if they'll retain the subsidiary for some reason?
10-02-2011, 07:51 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
This might be slightly off topic on this thread but....

I read somewhere on this board that Ricoh's capitalization was extremely large - much larger than Hoya and somewhat equal to Canon and Nikon.

Well - I went and looked it up...

They are the smallest of all the players, however I do have to admit that actually wanting Pentax's imaging business does count for a lot.

10-02-2011, 11:37 PM   #4
Site Supporter

Small is beautifull, isn't it ?

10-04-2011, 11:11 PM   #5
Inactive Account

I'll tell you Pentax IQ is second to none. I have Canon and Pentax gear, Pentax just smokes them in IQ. I will be watching Ricoh. The K-5 cannot keep up with my 7D in any way except IQ just outstanding. I have two outstanding lenses for Pentax and if Ricoh, ( now that it has pentax imaging ) will produce a quality product I will be first in line. I cannot recommend Pentax really to anyone. It is dead now. But anyone having the glass may be in for a pleasant surprise if Ricoh is serious. I think since already invested in the glass I will wait a couple of years before completely selling all Pentax gear. Ricoh is too small to really compete with the big boys. But if managed properly they might produce a quality product. In a few years.....
10-05-2011, 01:48 AM - 1 Like   #6

QuoteOriginally posted by garyk Quote
I cannot recommend Pentax really to anyone. It is dead now. .....
Pathetic. There are many instances of smaller companies biting the heels of larger ones. They are usually far faster to respond to consumer demand and often have their fingers on the pulse more so then big ones. You tend to get better value for money as well. You've already said Pentax IQ is superb and better then your Canon, then you go onto to say you cant recommend them? Thats a real contradiction.

Look at the car market, companies such as Kia and Hyundai have foreced people like GM (whats left of it) and Ford to increase the reliabilty and offer greater warrenties on thier cars and keep costs down. For a few years now Hyundai have offered a 7 year warrenty, yet GM (vauxhall/Opel) have only just started offering 3 years ones.

30 years ago Kodak and Minolta were the Kings. Where are they now? Kodak in dire straights financially, Minolta now Sony (2% to 12% market share in 3 years and they were an underdog too) and yet Canon were teeny by comparison.

Despite being part of Hoya and perhaps a bit cash starved, they came out with the superb K5, Kr and award winning 645D, do you really think they have just been sitting there doing nothing for the last 6 months? If they had, there would be little or no reason for Ricoh to buy them other than purely for the name - and we know that isnt the case.

12 months ago Canon and Nikon were saying they had no intention of joining in the csc market, "people wanted faster feature rich cameras not smaller". Judging by the way Nikon have now entered it as well, I would say the corporate giant got it wrong. I can remember when Bill Gates stood up and said the internet would never really take off, Google were not a threat, but that MSN was going to dominate the world and that was really what people wanted....

Incidently, Ricoh has (as of March 11) 109,000 employees (4 times more then Nikon, but a little less then Canon), owns 234 diffent compaines (consolidated) and turnover is larger then Nikon. It is also older then Canon and same age as Fuji (1934). So it's not exactly small fry.

And before you accuse me of being a fanboy, I shoot Fuji.

Woody

Last edited by ukwoody; 10-05-2011 at 02:25 AM.
10-05-2011, 06:22 AM   #7
Inactive Account

This is pretty standard practice. Pentax is on the block. Hoya buys them, the employs pull together. For reassurance and really put extra effort into the product. Hoya knows the human resources of employees. It is common.

Hoya cuts the R&D, employees work harder than ever to ensure there jobs and really put out a good product with what they have. No real brainier here. I did it when I closed my last business. People invested in years of work and there jobs at stake become very productive and excellent employee's.

The K-7 pretty much proved the move by Hoya. The K-5 was thrown together with products available. The medium format was delayed countless times. Pretty easy to read.

The Pentax name is dead to anyone that knows Pentax history. Ricoh is getting what is left of the technology and will scrap the rest.

I will not call you a fan boy. Just a very good employee of a company. Terrible business man.
Anyway when Ricoh shows it's intent. It will be interesting. Still holding on to my glass. And Fuji sucks about as bad as Pentax Woody.
10-05-2011, 06:53 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by interested_observer Quote
Well - I went and looked it up...
Market cap isn't a good guide. It varies too much day-to-day, and is swayed by stuff like the thin trading in some JP stocks.

If you look at revenues, employees etc, you see a slightly different picture. Canon still rules, but you see Ricoh's size better, particularly in terms of revenues and employees:

CANON - 7751: TOKYO
- MARKET CAP 4.6 TRILLION YEN
- DEC 2010 REVENUES: 48,263.9 MILLION USD
- NET INCOME: 3,210.8 M
- EMPLOYEES: 198000

RICOH LT 7752: TOKYO
- MARKET CAP 458.1B YEN
- MAR 31 2011 ANN REVENUE: 25,285.0 MILLION USD
- NET INCOME: $255M USD
- EMPLOYEES: 109000

NIKON CORP 7731: TOKYO
- MARKET CAP 738.8B YEN
- MAR 2011 ANN REVENUE: 11,555.4 MILLION USD
- NET INCOME: $355M
- EMPLOYEES: 24409

10-05-2011, 07:27 AM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
RICOH LT 7752: TOKYO
- MARKET CAP 458.1B YEN
- MAR 31 2011 ANN REVENUE: 25,285.0 MILLION USD
- NET INCOME: $255M USD
- EMPLOYEES: 109000
Well with around 1.900 employees P.R.I.C. is 1,74 % of Ricoh, so that is a tiny little company somewhere in a corner. Growth is very important.
10-05-2011, 09:15 AM   #10
Veteran Member

The Pentax name is dead to anyone that knows Pentax history. Ricoh is getting what is left of the technology and will scrap the rest.
Has Ricoh done so with its previous purchases? Please cite references.

EDIT: Where is the thumbs-down button?

Last edited by RioRico; 10-05-2011 at 12:48 PM.
10-05-2011, 09:25 AM   #11
Pentaxian

Well if someone can do the calculations?

Value of a brandname:
Value of a Brand Name
10-05-2011, 10:19 AM   #12
Site Supporter

The Pentax name is dead to anyone that knows Pentax history. Ricoh is getting what is left of the technology and will scrap the rest....
Well, this statement looks quite ambiguous if not contradictory with the qualities of Pentax's employees you describe...
Don't forget that R&D is THE DRIVE of HI-Tech industry...
10-05-2011, 10:50 AM   #13
Pentaxian

In other words:
- Hoya knows the human resource's value, Ricoh doesn't. The Ricoh's CEO told you that.
- Japanese people are lazy ar**s who wouldn't work unless their job is at stake. Karoshi is an urban legend.
- Pentax employees are now tired for working too hard (they were forced to do it, and not quite used to work) so we shouldn't expect much from them. Anyway they did absolutely nothing in the past months, waiting to be fired.
- anyone can take a K-7, throw in a new sensor, tune up the mirror, AF and other insignificant components a little bit and make a K-5. You did it when you were a child, it was called Lego.
- Pentax name is dead, even if Ricoh will use it for the foreseeable future. So we'll have lots of new products under a dead name... does that make Pentax a zombie?
- Ricoh lied when they said they're interested in Pentax and in the interchangeable lens cameras. In fact they only care about integrating the green button into their latest compact.

Nice try.