Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-31-2007, 07:57 AM   #61
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by m8o Quote
admittedly, I'm a -real- newb at all this having started only in July, getting my long fast Sigma in August, and rvannatta appears to have done this for far longer ... but I've got a few galleries full of well executed shots handholding the 5+ lb 300mm lens, used at f/2.8 or f/3.2, in very dim ambient available light; either having a clear day but the sun obstructed, to shooting literally in drizzly weather with the birds under the canopy of a tree (very low EV). Dunno, I'm a big guy and it's not a killer for me holding it up minutes at a time; taking a few seconds break, then back up again. I could understand the argument if needing to hold the camera + lens up for far longer, using it hours at a time. But that's when tripods or monopods come into play IMO. So all I was saying with my post is I have the luxury of using it that way, or with the TC(s) for 420mm, 510mm or 600mm or higher if I stack, but need a tripod for that.
Also some folks are a little more shaky than others. I don't thread needles well either.

Of course what f stop you use doesn't impact the shake and conceptually you should have less trouble with shake at f/2.8 than at f/5.6 because of the higher corresponding shutter speeds, but the theory doesn't prove up in practice if the extra weight has you wobbling, though the extra weight of the camera body--such as the relatively large and heavy K10
actually helps as part of the issue is balance. Once the combination gets nose heavy enough that I have to put a brace arm out to hold up the lens my photo quality deteriorates.

12-31-2007, 08:28 AM   #62
Inactive Account

I have a Bigma, and I find its weight to be a benefit in hand holding it steadily. Large objects are easier to steady then lighter ones. It is simple physics at work. With this in mind, my 500mm mirror is a pain to hand hold. No weight to it and thus it magnifies any hand shake or wind breeze. But the Bigma does take nice sharp photos hand held, and this is on my Canon system with no benefit of IS.

I am thinking more and more about that Sigma. I would have to save a little for it though. My only issue would be, how fast does it autofocus on a Pentax?
12-31-2007, 03:52 PM   #63
m8o
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I use this handhold which is fantastic for holding the Biggerma steady for long periods:
http://www.trapagon.com/temp/LandscapeHold.jpg
Only disadvantage is can't do MF with that.
01-01-2008, 08:37 PM   #64
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I'm waiting for this lens to replace my old k 200/f2.5. The images from the 200/2.5 are wonderful, but there are a few too many hoops to jump through to make it work. Having a lens that does it all for me... *comence drool*

edit: anybody have any idea what the closest focusing distance will be? The FA* 200 is rated at 1.2 meters- will this be the same, do you think?

Last edited by clawhammer; 01-03-2008 at 06:08 PM.