Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-14-2007, 10:13 AM   #31
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
At least the Optio A40 press release states that

"This Camera’s “Face Recognition AF&AE” function uses the Face Tracker face recognition technology from FotoNation." Doesn't smell NuCore here... And that's NOT a low-end P&S.

12-14-2007, 10:26 AM   #32
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RMabo Quote
Again, it is true that the A/D front end is NuCore. So Pentax do uses NuCore, just not the complete NuCore chipset. The K10D's internals was heavily discussed when it was released over a year ago, and last autumn I had links to evidence for the Pentax - Fujitsu connection, but I no longer have them saved. I'm not even using the same computer as I did a year ago, I left Windows and changed to Mac last year. It is of course frustrating that discussions tends to repeat themselves, I must remember to save all my links and postings for the possibility that an old theme pops up again after a year or two...

Yes, Pentax makes a great deal about DDR2 memory that they have sourced from Samsung.
Just because the NuCore image processor uses DDR2 does not automatically mean that Pentax uses that image processor. DDR2 is the new memory standard.
I have no idea of what the Pentax p&s from Pentax are using. Many of those are not even made by Pentax. They are working together with a Taiwanese brand to design and manufacture the low end Optio's (and they are essentially the same, just the brand name differs) so the low-end Optios are OEM's and not Pentax own. I don't know about the high-end Optio's.
So you mean that all camera's using Face detection are using NuCore chipsets? Then the Panasonic L10 uses NuCore chipsets...
I have not seen evidence of wireless LAN for the K10D replacement model. But isn't it possible for other makers of image processors to do wireless LAN, or have NuCore copyrighted wireless LAN so it is not possible for others to use this feature without using NuCore chipsets?
Roland,

The more I look at what information I can find, the more I am convinced that Pentax is licensing the SIP NuCore chip and re-branding it. Fujitsu probably just makes them for Pentax.

If this is true (and they are not the only one's doing this, I am sure) why is it a problem or even contrtoversial? I think it bodes well for Pentax in that they would be able to easily tweak many image quality parameters without great expense or huge effort, and it also speeds time to market on new models.

It is simply marketing, and there is nothing wrong about that.

It would be interesting (academic, I know, but so are most things we talk about here) if you could probe your sources a little more to see if my suspicions are true.

Lastly, nothing you have learned about Fujitsu making this chip at all precludes it being a licensed NuCore chip, or even proves that it is not just that, does it?

Ray
12-14-2007, 10:46 AM   #33
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Ray Pulley Quote
Roland,

The more I look at what information I can find, the more I am convinced that Pentax is licensing the SIP NuCore chip and re-branding it. Fujitsu probably just makes them for Pentax.

If this is true (and they are not the only one's doing this, I am sure) why is it a problem or even contrtoversial? I think it bodes well for Pentax in that they would be able to easily tweak many image quality parameters without great expense or huge effort, and it also speeds time to market on new models.

It is simply marketing, and there is nothing wrong about that.

It would be interesting (academic, I know, but so are most things we talk about here) if you could probe your sources a little more to see if my suspicions are true.

Lastly, nothing you have learned about Fujitsu making this chip at all precludes it being a licensed NuCore chip, or even proves that it is not just that, does it?

Ray
I don't think so. Those who have looked into the K10D firmware did indeed indentify typicaly Fujitsu assembly language. The CPU model is known BTW.

You might want to look here: Pentax K10D Firmware Fun - Scratchpad Wiki Labs - Free wikis from Wikia
12-14-2007, 11:13 AM   #34
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
I don't think so. Those who have looked into the K10D firmware did indeed indentify typicaly Fujitsu assembly language. The CPU model is known BTW.

You might want to look here: Pentax K10D Firmware Fun - Scratchpad Wiki Labs - Free wikis from Wikia
I have seenthat thread and been to the other site where they have posted more information.

Frankly, they haven't made any real progress and do not yet seem to know very much (nothing?) about any part of how the K10D operates.

Ray

12-14-2007, 11:21 AM   #35
Veteran Member

Well, thibs has given some enlightenment on this matter (thank you thibs) - and it confirms what I have got from Pentax too. As I said, we have had this discussion a year ago and the conclusion of this discussion was also that the imaging processor is indeed Fujitsu and not NuCore.

Let me just add that the Fujitsu linked to in the wikipedia also uses DDR2 memory...
12-14-2007, 11:30 AM   #36
Veteran Member

Well, thibs has given some enlightenment on this matter (thank you thibs) - and it confirms what I have got from Pentax too. As I said, we have had this discussion a year ago and the conclusion of this discussion was also that the imaging processor is indeed Fujitsu and not NuCore.

Let me just add that the Fujitsu linked to in the wikipedia also uses DDR2 memory...
Roland, perhaps it is one of these:

http://www.fujitsu.com/downloads/EDG/binary/pdf/find/24-1e/3.pdf

This would jive with what you have heard, but still makes it simply a marketing re-name, not a Pentax designed and developed image processer, not that I think this is a bad thing, as I stated above.

Ray
12-14-2007, 12:43 PM   #37
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
At least the Optio A40 press release states that

"This Camera’s “Face Recognition AF&AE” function uses the Face Tracker face recognition technology from FotoNation." Doesn't smell NuCore here... And that's NOT a low-end P&S.
All P&S cameras are low-end as far as I am concerned, but you are welcome to view them differently, of course

Rat
12-14-2007, 01:41 PM   #38
Veteran Member

This would jive with what you have heard, but still makes it simply a marketing re-name, not a Pentax designed and developed image processer, not that I think this is a bad thing, as I stated above.
I did wrote "It is a custom designed processor from Fujitsu, labeled by Pentax as PRIME".
I did not write that it was designed and developed by Pentax. My understanding is that PRIME is based upon an existing Fujitsu processor, that it is a tweaked or modified version to match Pentax preferencies.

12-14-2007, 04:33 PM   #39
Veteran Member

I did wrote "It is a custom designed processor from Fujitsu, labeled by Pentax as PRIME".
I did not write that it was designed and developed by Pentax. My understanding is that PRIME is based upon an existing Fujitsu processor, that it is a tweaked or modified version to match Pentax preferencies.
I must have mis-understood what you were saying, but hopefully whatever they are using is relatively easily tuned and they will get back to the K10D and put an end to some of the incessant whining about various aspects of the image quality. Sorry about the mis-understanding

It may be that some things like VPN cannot be addressed in image processor tweaks, but if nothing else Pentax should think about not being so pig-headed in the future about giving folks what they want even if technically that is not what Pentax feels is the ultimate in "film-like image quality".

Since I cannot count the number of posts like this all over the web which are simply a result of the DPReview test of the K10D, it might also behoove Pentax to make sure that all cameras get default settings that make the reviewers happy, even while allowing enough adjustment to make the camera operate the way the Pentax feels is best.

Ray