Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-09-2007, 06:22 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
"K20D" Jpeg size ...

The answers, as best as I can.: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

C'mon Richard

12-09-2007, 07:11 AM   #2

These are just some great news! That's what I wanted to hear, exactly.
Jpeg can be really compared to off-camera RAW converts. Great.
And one more update for K10D, I ask for nothing more
12-11-2007, 01:09 AM   #3
Veteran Member

I also posted a reply that the JPEG file size from prototypes cameras are typically much larger due to beta firmwares and hardwares producing noisier image (firmware and hardware tweaking to reduce noise is pretty late in the camera R&D). So it is hard to conclude unless the prototype he used was almost production ready with clean output.
12-11-2007, 10:47 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
It'd better be "almost production ready" if those cameras were already supposed to be announced earleir in the year ...

12-11-2007, 10:52 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I don't think that is a big selling point, at least not to me. IMO there is no alternative, you should always shoot in RAW. No matter how high the jpg quality is it won't compare to the RAW file and the adjustments you can make to it in PP.
12-11-2007, 11:14 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
It'd better be "almost production ready" if those cameras were already supposed to be announced earleir in the year ...
There could be still a few months to go before production unless the camera is ready at announcement date. I still remember the leaked K10D photos taken by prototypes in August/September 2007 was very noisy. The beta camera used for "demo" purpose may not have the last revision used by Pentax engineers in Japan.
12-11-2007, 11:01 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by travis_cooper Quote
you should always shoot in RAW. No matter how high the jpg quality is it won't compare to the RAW file and the adjustments you can make to it in PP.

Except when you don't have the time, or memory space, and need the results before you are able to get to a computer.

The jpg engine should be as high quality as it can be especially when one invests $700-$900 on a camera body.

Hopefully when they have resources to get back to the K10D firmware, they will include new menu options for improved jpg tweakability, sharpness type, chroma NR, etc.

12-11-2007, 11:06 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by nosnoop Quote
the leaked K10D photos taken by prototypes in August/September 2007 was very noisy.
I wonder if the production camera was less noisy purely due to better firmware. I also wonder if the K10D firmware controls noise reduction, and can still be improved upon in such areas as chroma noise. Obviously it might not be hardware based on the K10D.

Other cameras like the Sony A700 have had firmware updates that were aimed at reducing high ISO noise.
12-12-2007, 12:19 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mutley Quote
I wonder if the production camera was less noisy purely due to better firmware. I also wonder if the K10D firmware controls noise reduction, and can still be improved upon in such areas as chroma noise. Obviously it might not be hardware based on the K10D.

Other cameras like the Sony A700 have had firmware updates that were aimed at reducing high ISO noise.
Sony has not issued a firmware upgrade to reduce noise in the Sony A100, and the A100 has more noise than the K10D... The A700 uses different sensors and image processors, and it is possible that it allows for more software control of the noise reduction than the A100.

As for the K10D, the PRIME image processor takes care of the noise reduction. I don't know if the PRIME can be changed through firmware updates. It may not be possible.

So just don't assume that Pentax can do it because Sony could with the A700. The A700 and K10D are very different internally.