Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-10-2007, 11:09 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Salty,
Now there is a retailer that has a bad inventory control system. It's one thing to keep inventory low but running out of stock costs them money. Glad to hear they are recognizing the increased demand. Let's hope the Pentax rep is sharp enough to point out this fast turnover to the PA.

Regards,

Ken

Last edited by regken; 12-10-2007 at 11:58 AM.
12-10-2007, 09:35 PM   #17

I went to a Fry's store in California and they have a bunch of Pentax lens in lock cages but no Pentax dslr, weird.
p.s.
Canon 40d is more than $100 cheaper than Nikon d200, that's depressing!
12-10-2007, 10:13 PM   #18

For all the same kinds of experiences I will never buy from Rtiz.... although I occasionally walk in just to play with some cameras. I'm actually lucky enugh to have a good local shop down the street that stocks both used and new equipment, 35mm, medium format, and digital. They've never tried to sell me more than I need (although I often try to buy more then I should). I really put a value on having a store like that in town, and so whenever possible I try to give them my business so that they'll hopefully still be there in 20 years. But I think with the internet it's gotten really hard for them to compete, including the purchasing and selling of used gear. I got my Pentax 67 there... but sadly they don't stock any new Pentax equipment.
12-10-2007, 10:16 PM   #19
Forum Member

We have a chain of Photography Stores in Oregon called Shutterbug, they carry Pentax and are currently running Network TV Ads for the K100D in the state.

Rg.

12-10-2007, 10:59 PM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Bnack Quote
For all the same kinds of experiences I will never buy from Rtiz.... although I occasionally walk in just to play with some cameras. I'm actually lucky enugh to have a good local shop down the street that stocks both used and new equipment, 35mm, medium format, and digital. They've never tried to sell me more than I need (although I often try to buy more then I should). I really put a value on having a store like that in town, and so whenever possible I try to give them my business so that they'll hopefully still be there in 20 years. But I think with the internet it's gotten really hard for them to compete, including the purchasing and selling of used gear. I got my Pentax 67 there... but sadly they don't stock any new Pentax equipment.
Well the interenet won't be too good of a source for camera gear come a few years from now. A couple of major companies have one suit that pricing too low was illegal and many companies are forcing retailers no matter who to sell at a MAP (Minimum Advertised Price) pricing.

The reason you see such great prices at online retailers is their deep pockets. Places like Calument, Adorama and B&H have so much money that they have whats called "million dollar" deals. Lets say you buy exactly 1 million dollars in Canon lenses in one order; Canon will give you a percent discount, order that during a month where there is already a 5% discount and lets say you pay the bill in less than 30 days you get another 3% off. So now your margin is based entirely at the small percentage you gained from making one huge deal. Places like that actually sell at a regular retailers COST, yes you heard me our cost. They aren't making much money per item, but since they kill everyone else in price people just shop online and put up with the fact they are killing the business in their own town, but it's a choice that has to be made and sometimes it's the right thing to do.

I personally never buy camera gear online unless it's something used from one of you guys or I can't find it anywhere else because I have the "real" photographers shop at a "real" camera store mentality, but alas many people don't have a great camera store in their town with knowledgeable staff. Actually the only people I dislike are people who try stuff at their camera store but buy online knowing they are going to buy online in the first place. Sorry if I hurt anyones feelings on that statement, but it's rude.
12-11-2007, 12:52 AM   #21

Codiac2600, I'd dearly love to be able to purchase from a local dealer--if I had one within a reasonable driving distance. The Ritz saga shared is so very familiar--except that I was visiting the Wolf segment of the company. The behavior and attitudes of the staff at many of these locations can be rather rude and highly insulting.

My son's high school photography teacher has been impressed with the quality of the images delivered by my first *istDS that my son uses for assignments. She sought my advice when she was looking to purchase two dSLRs for student use. I recommended the K100D Super, describing a few of the features and sending her links to appropriate write-ups for additional information. Principal is a N*kon shooter so somehow D40s were purchased instead. Principal said that she *tried* to order the K100D but she was told by her contact at Wolf that they didn't carry the Pentax K100D. I laughed and told her unflinchingly that she had been told a big fat lie. [Guess that salesperson needed a little extra holiday cash.] One of the local stores had gotten several units in and I had been in another location a couple of days prior and seen them on display in the little teeny nook set aside for non-C*non/N*kon dSLRs/lenses. I still don't see the K10D waiting to find a new home in these locations.

Yonnie
Who swears if one more salesperson shoves something C*non under her nose after she enters the establishment asking specifically for Pentax gear, she may become violent.
12-11-2007, 01:34 AM   #22
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by anomaly Quote
Guess I may make my next order from Ritz.

I ban BH, they want me to scan my credit card and fax it to them. :?
Yes, that's common. What they want is a proof that the cc is under your name.

I was asked the same from bh. I took a photo of my cc (the front), erased all the numbers but the last 4 and my name. That made them happy.

Their service and prices are fine, but their shipping charges are very steep. I've ordered a fuji f20 p&s and a 22" acer lcd monitor. They arrived very fast.
12-11-2007, 07:27 AM   #23
m8o
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by maxamillion Quote
We have a chain of Photography Stores in Oregon called Shutterbug, they carry Pentax and are currently running Network TV Ads for the K100D in the state.
Any idea if they run Shutterbug.com? I like the reviews of that site, but no linking to retail operations, so I'm thinking "no".

12-11-2007, 10:47 AM   #24
Forum Member

M80.

Not to my Knowledge.

I visit three different Shutterbug stores. Have purchased several items from them and the staff are always very helpful. Plus we pay no state sales tax in Oregon, so that helps a lot when buying from your local store.

Rg.
12-19-2007, 03:20 PM   #25
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Tom M Quote
I SWEAR TO YOU GUYS - THIS IS TRUE..

Me: Can you do 24x36" prints on canvas..
Manager: Yes
Me: How much for color, stretched and mounted?
Manager: breaks out book and says; Let's see..
Me: OK
Manager: Something like would be $234
Me: Wow! That's very expensive! I was in a jam and I was hoping you guys could help me out but, at that price I guess you can't.
Manager: What other prices do you have?
Me: Like $95
Manager: What? Where?
Me: Online..
Manager: OOH, Online... Well, I don't think you're going to get a good print from anyplace online.
Me: Oh, I think I will - They produced excellent results for me in the past.
Me: Are you sure you can't do any better on that price - Are you sure you got the right item I want?
Manager: Oh yes. But OUR prints are much different, very high quality from anything you'll get ONLINE..
Me: Oh yeah? What's different about them?
Manager: Well, for instance. Are the ones online HAND PAINTED?
Me: Excuse me?
Manager: Do they have an artist HAND PAINT the prints for you?
Me: VERY LOUD LAUGHTER - UNCONTROLLABLE LAUGHTER - I finally manage to compose myself just barely enough to say - Yeah, they hand paint them too - The artists name is EPSON!
Now, I've worked at a ritz and have had some interesting managers, but in this manager's defense:

Ritz Camera struck a deal with Bellfluer Studio (I think that's the right spelling) about a year ago to do hand-painted pictures on canvas. The artist takes the original picture and makes a painting from it on canvas. It is not done using a filter in photoshop. That's the reason the price is so high. And they should have had a cheaper service available, though I don't remember the cost for 24x36 (Stopped working there about 2 months ago). The Epson printers they have in stores only do prints on paper- they don't send out canvas to the stores.
01-04-2008, 09:46 PM   #26
Inactive Account

Ames store

The store in Ames IA (Walden Photo) is a good proponent of Pentax equipment. Seven years ago my wife and I stopped in to get a SLR. And they steered us to a ZX-30. It suited our needs better than C or N and it was cheaper. That is where I bought my DS before my son was born. They do the very same thing now with the K series bodies when they can get them in stock. So far none of the big indy dealers in Des Moines stocks Pentax, as of last summer, they have justed laughed at me in the past when I have inquired. Stopped by a store in Terre Haute, IN before Christmas with my mother who lives on the IL side near there. Galloway Photo: Digital and Film Cameras and Related Accessories is the website. They had boxes and boxes of K10D's and Supers behind the counter. They said they have been having difficulty in betting new bodies recently and have resorted to calling other indy stores and getting stock from them. They too steer first time buyers to Pentax. They actually had both DA*'s in stock but I didn't have the nerve to ask the guy to see them on the K10D.

John
01-05-2008, 06:56 AM   #27
Inactive Account

I guess I am lucky. I never buy my stuff online, preferring to support the local photography store in town. Its a small place, but the owner has become a very large Pentax convert. 20 Years ago it was mostly Nikon this and Nikon that, and to be truthful, he still has quite a Nikon lens and body inventory. But today, he seems to prefer Pentax. He tells me that the Pentax DSLRs are selling faster then he can get them in. He doesn't carry much stock on hand, but he can get most things in quickly enough, that I don't mind.

Now if we had anything as large as a Henry’s in this city, I would be in heaven, and I strongly suspect, poorer lol.
01-05-2008, 07:18 AM   #28
Inactive Account

I went to a Ritz store when I was in the US - somewhere in the San Francisco area. I was looking for a tripod and I had an idea what i wanted... i told the guy i wanted somethin that would reach full height for me (6ft something), sturdy aluminium construction not carbon fibre, reasonably portable, ball head, etc etc. He just looked at me. Then i said i'd had a particular manfrotto tripod in mind. Get this...HE SAID HE HAD NEVER HEARD OF MANFROTTO! Didn't bother asking if he'd heard of Pentax!

Ritz seem awefully like Jessops in the UK. it's very frustrating the lack of Pentax presence here. At least in the US you have sites like B&H that have good stock of pentax stuff if you don't have a local camera store... here we have practically no shops that stock a range of Pentax gear. And the best thing online is ebay.co.uk!
01-05-2008, 07:30 AM   #29
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by pixelpruner Quote
I went to a Ritz store when I was in the US - somewhere in the San Francisco area. I was looking for a tripod and I had an idea what i wanted... i told the guy i wanted somethin that would reach full height for me (6ft something), sturdy aluminium construction not carbon fibre, reasonably portable, ball head, etc etc. He just looked at me. Then i said i'd had a particular manfrotto tripod in mind. Get this...HE SAID HE HAD NEVER HEARD OF MANFROTTO! Didn't bother asking if he'd heard of Pentax!
I think they have an excuse (little one). AFACT in the US Manfrotto is branded as Bogen.
Exact same products but different names.
01-05-2008, 07:54 AM   #30
Ed in GA

Having read all of this about Ritz Camera, I have this to add.

When I bought my K100D in Sept 2006, I went to the Wolf Camera Store (Ritz) here in Savannah, GA. I inquired about the Pentax Camera and the clerk said immediately, "Yes, we have the Pentax but let me show you what you really need" and proceeded to pull out a Nikon (Model unknown) and extoll its virtues. I said "That's a nice camera but I'd like to see the Pentax K100D . (note here: I had already looked at the K100D at the only store in town who will sell you what you want to buy) He pulled it out of the case, put it beside the Nikon and said "Here it is, but Pentax is several years behind in technology and you won't be happy with any of their stuff. You really should buy the Nikon". I thanked him and left. bought the K100D at the other dealer for full list price.

Now, here is a really funny story concerning the same store.

One of the female clerks at the Wolf store is a Pentax user and avid fan of Pentax products. When I asked her why she didn't push the K10D, her answer was simply "We're a Nikon store and that's what they want us to sell."

I buy as little from them as I possibly can.

Ed