Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-10-2007, 07:33 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
New Pentax dealers

Finn posted that a store in Ames Iowa just recently added the K10D to their inventory. A store here in Bangor Maine is thinking about stocking it also. There was another post by a new member that the store he works at is selling more Pentax cameras than ever before.

Getting sales information on how Pentax is doing is spotty and it is something that interests me. It appears more stores are now stocking Pentax and the ones that have had the product for a longer period of time are doing very well with it. I'm starting to think that either by design or dumb luck Pentax has hit the "Sweet spot" on DSLR pricing both with the K100D and the K10D.

Many of you frequent stores that you have a relationship with either an employee or owner and am wondering what they are saying about how Pentax is doing. Codiac2600 up in the Chicago area has been telling us how well Pentax is doing in his store.

How many of you have seen Pentax DSLR's in stores that never carried them before? If your store has been a long time Pentax dealer, how are they selling? Thanks for any info you have.

Regards,

Ken

12-10-2007, 08:06 AM   #2
Veteran Member

We've been a long time Pentax dealership.

For every Canon sold, thats all models, we sell 2 K10D's and the number is slightly higher if you consider K100D and K100D supers.

Creve Coeur sells more Pentax than any store in th country, prolly close to 1,000,000 in dollars.

Mikes camera in Golden Colorado is also another large Pentax dealership, but am not too sure on their numbers.

The problem you're going to see in stores that carry Pentax is that they will only sell well if the store has faith in them. The reasons certain stores carry them and others don't is the faith in the system. You'll either see Olmypus or Pentax and not both because they are the brands that are bordeline brands at most camera stores and which ever the owner has more faith in will carry it over the other.

The reason we have so much faith in the system is that our person in charge of product ordering is a millitant Pentaxian and an amazing salesmen. Trust me when I say you'll buy something that you don't want if he wanted to do that to you. Pentax does have that sweet spot with a lot of people cause they want pro features but don't want to spend for a pro price tag. The K10D falls right in that range, but if you don't have a competent salesman the K10D will sit on the shelf all day long just like the "other" camera store in town that nobody likes.
12-10-2007, 08:09 AM   #3

The local Ritz carries Pentax, they never can keep any of the DSLR's in stock. And it's really a crap shoot as to whether or not they can get an accessory quickly. According to the attendants at the desk, the stuff sells out as quick as they can stock it. In fact most stuff that arrives is spoken for long before it ever gets to the store.

A local furniture retailer also stocks the DSLR's in the electronics department, luckily not many know they are there so that's how I handled the K10D without having to wait for it to get to the Ritz shop when I was shopping for a camera.

SLC
12-10-2007, 08:10 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yesterday I visited an electronics shop that just opened close to my home and I was very surprised to see they had on sale the k100d with the kit lens and the k10d with the kit lens and grip. The other dslr was an e410. They were quite expensive I should say, especially for the price I can order them online .

Shops that sell dslrs are very very rare in my country and I might be the only person who has a pentax dslr . People can't quite understand why I went the pentax route and not canon or nikon.

12-10-2007, 08:16 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by SLC Flyfishing Quote
The local Ritz carries Pentax, they never can keep any of the DSLR's in stock. And it's really a crap shoot as to whether or not they can get an accessory quickly. According to the attendants at the desk, the stuff sells out as quick as they can stock it. In fact most stuff that arrives is spoken for long before it ever gets to the store.

A local furniture retailer also stocks the DSLR's in the electronics department, luckily not many know they are there so that's how I handled the K10D without having to wait for it to get to the Ritz shop when I was shopping for a camera.

SLC
Ritz made a last minute massive order just about one month ago and when I mean massive I mean Pentax had no choice but jump up and down and hug each other after the deal.

Ritz was buying one here and one there now they truly see how great the system is and being as big as they are it's great to have their support.
12-10-2007, 09:26 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks Chris

QuoteOriginally posted by codiac2600 Quote
Ritz made a last minute massive order just about one month ago and when I mean massive I mean Pentax had no choice but jump up and down and hug each other after the deal.

Ritz was buying one here and one there now they truly see how great the system is and being as big as they are it's great to have their support.
That is very impressive. I know how hard it is to get a chain to make that sort of commitment. For those of you living in the Chicago market I hope you continue to support Cris's store but it would be a good move by the rest of us to try and buy anything we are thinking of getting from a Ritz store. If this huge order they put in sells through quickly the chances of them stocking more of the line increases. I have found that most retailers will match B & H prices if you ask so buying from a local Ritz may not cost you any extra money.

One of the biggest complaints I read on this and other forums is availability of lenses and other accessories at local shops. Supporting Ritz may help solve some of that problem. I'm going to buy a 18-250 lens and am planning on calling my closest Ritz store ( a 2 hour drive from here) and tell them to notify me when they get one in.

Thanks Chris,

Ken
12-10-2007, 09:50 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Sorry that I can't jump for joy with regards to RITZ CAMERA here in Kinnelon, NJ.... OMFG it is run by an idiot!

First off - and you guys will absolutely LOVE this one.. Walked in to handle the K10D and the twit-chick replies with, What's that? I've never heard of that model you mean the K100D.. No I don't, I mean the K10D - clerk; there is no K10D, only the K100D.. on and on - So, I tell her look, I'm not interested in the K100D so I guess you can't help me.. Then she says, "Why would you want that camera anyway? The Nikon D200 is better! (now I'm like - first you said it didn't exist and now when I'm leaving you're like - the D200 is better).. I turned and thought, Oh, this should be fun.. So, tell me then, Why is the D200 better than the non-existent K10D? - I swear - she did not answer me and just turned around to hand me the D200.. I was like, uh, yeah - That's not what I'm here for and I just left..

I gave them another try after I got my K10D from Amazon to see if they had any glass or flashes.. nothing at all and STILL only had the K100D on the shelves.. (2 months ago).. When I asked why they didn't have any Pentax stuff her reply was, and I quote her.. "Pentax is junk, Canon and Nikon are the best and everyone wants the best - Honestly, I don't even know why we have Pentax here!"... At this point I'm like.. Whatever - Have a nice day..

Then, as if I love punishment, two weeks ago I was in a jam and needed a canvas print done.. Well, they say they do all this printing in all of their ad's so.. I gave it a shot.. The same twit (she's the manager - when she's not outside smoking that is) was my 'oh so funny helper that day'...

I SWEAR TO YOU GUYS - THIS IS TRUE..

Me: Can you do 24x36" prints on canvas..
Manager: Yes
Me: How much for color, stretched and mounted?
Manager: breaks out book and says; Let's see..
Me: OK
Manager: Something like would be $234
Me: Wow! That's very expensive! I was in a jam and I was hoping you guys could help me out but, at that price I guess you can't.
Manager: What other prices do you have?
Me: Like $95
Manager: What? Where?
Me: Online..
Manager: OOH, Online... Well, I don't think you're going to get a good print from anyplace online.
Me: Oh, I think I will - They produced excellent results for me in the past.
Me: Are you sure you can't do any better on that price - Are you sure you got the right item I want?
Manager: Oh yes. But OUR prints are much different, very high quality from anything you'll get ONLINE..
Me: Oh yeah? What's different about them?
Manager: Well, for instance. Are the ones online HAND PAINTED?
Me: Excuse me?
Manager: Do they have an artist HAND PAINT the prints for you?
Me: VERY LOUD LAUGHTER - UNCONTROLLABLE LAUGHTER - I finally manage to compose myself just barely enough to say - Yeah, they hand paint them too - The artists name is EPSON!

I just walked out after that.. All I can say is - In Kinnelon, NJ the Ritz Camera is run by A fool who knows NOTHING about photography equipment or photography in general. Period! So, they can stock up all they want. They won't get my business.

EDIT: I edited my post to insure that my experience effects only one person - The manager. I can't speak for the others that work there but the manager is definitely not someone you want to deal with in my opinion.

Also - Sitting right there in the main part of this store (it's not very large) IS the Epson wide-format printer so, I don't know who she was trying to fool but, dishonesty is not the way to increase your sales. If she wasn't competetive she should have just said so. At least then I would not have written them off completely.

Last edited by Tom M; 12-10-2007 at 10:42 AM.
12-10-2007, 10:02 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
LOL, Thanks Tom,
I can't stop laughing. Thanks for reminding me why I got out of selling to retail and only deal with wholesalers. They can be the worst. As dumb as they are, if Ritz corperate puts it on the shelf and makes a commitment to Pentax those same sales people will tell you how great Pentax is. It's like that old saying about something smelly running down hill.

Thanks again for the laugh,

Ken

12-10-2007, 10:04 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
ROTFL
12-10-2007, 10:18 AM   #10
Not Registered

Tom, if I were you I would go every week with different questions and then publish a book with the answers. The canvas one it is in a cathegory by itsel. Even better, that person should be hired by Dpreview to do reviews, I would pay good dollars to listen what she has to say.

QuoteOriginally posted by Tom M Quote
Sorry that I can't jump for joy with regards to RITZ CAMERA here in Kinnelon, NJ.... OMFG they are run by idiot little girls..

First off - and you guys will absolutely LOVE this one.. Walked in to handle the K10D and the twit-chick replies with, What's that? I've never heard of that model you mean the K100D.. No I don't, I mean the K10D - clerk; there is no K10D, only the K100D.. on and on - So, I tell her look, I'm not interested in the K100D so I guess you can't help me.. Then she says, "Why would you want that camera anyway? The Nikon D200 is better! (now I'm like - first you said it didn't exist and now when I'm leaving you're like - the D200 is better).. I turned and thought, Oh, this should be fun.. So, tell me then, Why is the D200 better than the non-existent K10D? - I swear - she did not answer me and just turnned around to hand me the D200.. I was like, uh, yeah - That's not what I'm here for and I just left..

I gave them another try after I got my K10D from Amazon to see if they had any glass or flashes.. nothing at all and STILL only had the K100D on the shelves.. (2 months ago).. When I asked why they didn't have any Pentax stuff her reply was, and I quote her.. "Pentax is junk, Canon and Nikon are the best and everyone wants the best - Honestly, I don't even know why we have Pentax here!"... At this point I'm like.. Whatever - Have a nice day..

Then, as if I love punishment, two weeks ago I was in a jam and needed a canvas print done.. Well, they say they do all this printing in all of their ad's so.. I gave it a shot.. The same twit (I think she's a manager - when she's not outside smoking that is) was my 'oh so funny helper that day'...

I SWEAR TO YOU GUYS - THIS IS TRUE..

Me: Can you do 24x36" prints on canvas..
Manager: Yes
Me: How much for color, stretched and mounted?
Manager: breaks out book and says; Let's see..
Me: OK
Manager: Something like would be $234
Me: Wow! That's very expensive! I was in a jam and I was hoping you guys could help me out but, at that price I guess you can't.
Manager: What other prices do you have?
Me: Like $95
Manager: What? Where?
Me: Online..
Manager: OOH, Online... Well, I don't think you're going to get a good print from anyplace online.
Me: Oh, I think I will - They produced excellent results for me in the past.
Me: Are you sure you can't do any better on that price - Are you sure you got the right item I want?
Manager: Oh yes. But OUR prints are much different, very high quality from anything you'll get ONLINE..
Me: Oh yeah? What's different about them?
Manager: Well, for instance. Are the ones online HAND PAINTED?
Me: Excuse me?
Manager: Do they have an artist HAND PAINT the prints for you?
Me: VERY LOUD LAUGHTER - UNCONTROLLABLE LAUGHTER - I finally manage to compose myself just barely enough to say - Yeah, they hand paint them too - The artists name is EPSON!

I just walked out after that.. All I can say is - In Kinnelon, NJ the Ritz Camera is run by fools who know NOTHING about photography equipment or photography in general. Period! So, they can stock up all they want. They won't get my business.
12-10-2007, 10:20 AM   #11

Guess I may make my next order from Ritz.

I ban BH, they want me to scan my credit card and fax it to them. :?
12-10-2007, 10:43 AM   #12
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by anomaly Quote
Guess I may make my next order from Ritz.

I ban BH, they want me to scan my credit card and fax it to them. :?
Faxing a credit card? Are they completely stupid or completely stupid?
12-10-2007, 10:55 AM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter

Ken: It's not a new dealer, and they've been selling Pentax gear for a loooonnnnggg time but one of the sales personnel at Adorama asked me the other day "what's the deal with the 77 F1.8 Limited? We can't keep them ins stock for more than a day, it's easily the fastest selling pro quality lens of any brand"

NaCl(anecdotal evidence for sure, but hopefully indicative)H2O
12-10-2007, 11:07 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Oh, trust me. The first time in there I had other questions, and although the answers were not nearly as funny, still worth mentioning - But after the D200 comment floored me. I thought to myself, this kid should be selling used cars on a highway lot..

I mean, my first question to her when I walked in was aimed at some of the cases they had there. I asked if she carried LowePro. Her answer was very clear and concise - "I think they're discontinued so we don't have much left - Take a look at those CaseLogic cases".. Now, I did not ask for any LowePro bag in particular, just if they carried them. But after that reply I thought to myself, I'd better call LowePro and let them know "they've been discontinued"...

On my second trip when I went in looking for gear I noticed they had a stack of printers in the middle of the shop that instantly caught my eye.. A few different brands and types but not what I was looking for of course... Same chick, same deal.. Excuse me I said, do you sell the Canon Pixma MP970 printer? The reply, "Uh, whatever is over there - we just give them away with the cameras"... Again, "Do you sell the Canon Pixma MP970?" - The reply, "Let me look".. A minute goes by and she says, "Yes! We have the Pixma 9000 - I can have it here in a day or two"... That's when I said, thanks anyway, let's see what goodies you have for my K10D...

Now, I can't blame them for not having everything under the sun in the store, and I expect that but, don't go pulling the classic sleezy used car salesmen pitch on me because you don't have what I'm looking for.. And if you're going to, at least put together something comprehensible, a GOOD LIE! Sorry but, if you haven't noticed this Ms manager - There's a HEAD upon my shoulders, and the mere fact that I was able to walk into your store under my own power seemingly puts me higher on the evolutionary ladder than you..
12-10-2007, 11:08 AM   #15
m8o
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by codiac2600 Quote
The reason we have so much faith in the system is that our person in charge of product ordering is a millitant Pentaxian and an amazing salesmen. Trust me when I say you'll buy something that you don't want if he wanted to do that to you.
I'll take that challenge for the fun of it. Your company pays the plane ticket; I'll buy whatever you think he can cram down my throat... if that is anything. Ok, ok, pointless post on my part. Just have'n fun.