Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-17-2011, 04:06 PM   #181
Pentaxian




Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Canberra, Australia
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 833
It would help people keep up if the photos that are approved are pulled from the voting sooner. I did a bit of voting a couple of days ago and then looked at the recently added category, there were numerous photos that I had only just voted on

11-17-2011, 09:46 PM   #182
Veteran Member
Chex's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: The 'Stoke, British Columbia
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,700
QuoteOriginally posted by Scorg Quote
I'm sitting at 3 1/2 weeks on awaiting the fate of an image I posted. Seems almost as if they are getting more submissions then expected again. Either that or less help in the voting process.

Also as a heads up, Something within PPG has a memory hole in it's design. After being logged in for a couple of hours the brower was using up 1gb of memory on its own.
That was with IE9 at the time but I was able to replicate a similar result within FF7.
Well I usually use Chrome and sometimes Opera.. I'll check my memory usage after awhile too and post an update.. never effects me too much since I have 16GB though.
11-17-2011, 09:59 PM   #183
Forum Member
Montoya's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: New Mexico
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 89
QuoteOriginally posted by mikeSF Quote
FWIW, my ladybug pic got accepted. I think I may have finally found my groove.
Thats a nice addition. Was not referring to that one. :-)
11-17-2011, 10:44 PM   #184
Veteran Member
Chex's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: The 'Stoke, British Columbia
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,700
I was! But on a side note.. I think I finally voted yes on a butterfly picture!

11-20-2011, 06:07 PM   #185
Forum Member




Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Southwest PA, USA
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 53
QuoteOriginally posted by Mike L Quote
It would help people keep up if the photos that are approved are pulled from the voting sooner. I did a bit of voting a couple of days ago and then looked at the recently added category, there were numerous photos that I had only just voted on
I agree. I just voted on some photos and seconds later seen some of them in the recently added category! I just wonder if the "voting" is even legitimate because there are some really obviously bad photos in the recently added category. I realize the artistic part is subjective but I'm talking about bad technically, like blurry, out of focus animal and macro shots, the type I would just delete from my files let alone submit to a gallery! And I hit about five in a row of the awful "ladybug on a blade of grass photos all taken within seconds of each other" shots in the recently added category. So obviously the vote on the first one and no on the rest strategy doesn't work, because apparently they all make it in. I wonder if Pentax really does have the final say because I would think they would be more selective. I imagine I'll be seeing ALL of the little kid with big glasses photos making it in ;-) Sigh.
11-21-2011, 03:19 AM   #186
Pentaxian
falconeye's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Munich, Alps, Germany
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 6,862
QuoteOriginally posted by 6bender Quote
And I hit about five in a row of the awful "ladybug on a blade of grass photos all taken within seconds of each other" shots in the recently added category. So obviously the vote on the first one and no on the rest strategy doesn't work
I noted this too.

Because the order of photos may be randomized, this vote for the first only ultimately selects them all... Obviously, there is no final selection being made anymore.

Moreover, there are too many photos from too few photographers in the voting stage.

There really should be a 1 photo at a time being in the selection stage quota. One! Uploading a photo to a gallery like PPG should be a rare exception. PPG isn't Flickr
11-21-2011, 05:53 AM   #187
Pentaxian
gazonk's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Oslo area, Norway
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,509
QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
There really should be a 1 photo at a time being in the selection stage quota. One! Uploading a photo to a gallery like PPG should be a rare exception. PPG isn't Flickr
I've seen so many 5-almost-identical-and-oh-so-boring photos over the past few weeks of voting that I agree.

(And I intend to stick to that rule myself, so far I've only uploaded one image since the reopening)
11-25-2011, 12:45 PM   #188
Veteran Member
Chex's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: The 'Stoke, British Columbia
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,700
Anyone else having issues with images taking forever to load and or black screens and having to reload a few times before the image apears? I'm not getting any little red "X" in the white box normal error for corrupted images etc.. it simply doesn't load. At this rate my voting will simply not happen if I have to reload and cross my fingers every time.

11-25-2011, 01:33 PM   #189
Site Supporter
jpzk's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Québec
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 6,981
QuoteOriginally posted by Chex Quote
Anyone else having issues with images taking forever to load and or black screens and having to reload a few times before the image apears? I'm not getting any little red "X" in the white box normal error for corrupted images etc.. it simply doesn't load. At this rate my voting will simply not happen if I have to reload and cross my fingers every time.
Yessir ... same crazy thing happening here ... on two separate computers too !

The upload time, on my very fast computer at home, is awfully slow. I too need reloading and start all over after a while.
And I do get the Little red "X"'s, especially after having voted on a few pics -

One more thing: the quality of the images is simply ridiculous compared to what it was before the "improved" the website.
I am hoping that this will be soon a thing of the past.

I have submitted one single shot since the new site opened ... was accepted ... not to my liking when I look at it from within PPG, compared to what even a severely (decreased) resized image of the same pic looks like "outside of PPG".

Food for thoughts.

JP
11-25-2011, 10:36 PM   #190
Veteran Member
Chex's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: The 'Stoke, British Columbia
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,700
Being new to PPG since it's update I don't have a comparison.. but it's been disappointing to see what some people actually submit for this gallery. And worse than what they submit, is that they submit 5 of the same subject every so slightly recomposed or PP'd slightly differently.. must be hard to choose your best for some... maybe they need an honest family member or friend to help filter their top 10 down to 2-3 DIFFERENT images. I've submitted 6 total, 3 have got in, 1 rejected, 2 pending (fingers crossed). If I don't feel it could hang on someone's wall (other than my own) I would never even consider submitting it. I only hope that most others do take the same consideration in their selections.
11-26-2011, 03:15 AM   #191
Pentaxian
falconeye's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Munich, Alps, Germany
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 6,862
Chex, I agree.

There are a few great submissions. But there are so many average submissions of the same kind, and because presented at random positions, that voting becomes sort of a fast forward game (I consider it a bug that I cannot vote on a compilation where I can go back too). This means that some great shots may simply be overlooked.

They really have to change the rules of the game and limit photos in the voting stage to one per user at a time. With maybe up to 5 images pending for voting, but only 1 image being voted at any time. This would discourage multiple uploads of the same scene too.
11-26-2011, 03:35 AM   #192
Pentaxian
gazonk's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Oslo area, Norway
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,509
QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
....voting becomes sort of a fast forward game (I consider it a bug that I cannot vote on a compilation where I can go back too). This means that some great shots may simply be overlooked.
Very true. I know that I clicked thumbs down on at least one picture that I really liked - because it followed after a long row of boring pictures.
11-26-2011, 09:45 AM   #193
Pentaxian
VladimirYo's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 287
Click on return browser button and re-vote. It's easy.
11-28-2011, 12:03 PM   #194
Site Supporter
jpzk's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Québec
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 6,981
QuoteOriginally posted by Chex Quote
Being new to PPG since it's update I don't have a comparison.. but it's been disappointing to see what some people actually submit for this gallery. And worse than what they submit, is that they submit 5 of the same subject every so slightly recomposed or PP'd slightly differently.. must be hard to choose your best for some... maybe they need an honest family member or friend to help filter their top 10 down to 2-3 DIFFERENT images. I've submitted 6 total, 3 have got in, 1 rejected, 2 pending (fingers crossed). If I don't feel it could hang on someone's wall (other than my own) I would never even consider submitting it. I only hope that most others do take the same consideration in their selections.
I confess having uploaded a few "similar" pics of the same "view" when I started submitting to PPG.
I quickly realized that this was in now way a good way to pic my best shots ... I probably was "anxious" to have at least one accepted then.

I refrained from doing this and I haven't done much submitting lately (one only) and I will likely delete a few of the "same group" and keep what I feel are the actual best ones.
Soon enough I will make time to submit again but only what I feel are my BEST ones ... we shall see.
Especially since the new PPG came online, I have been voting quite a bit rather than submitting, and I also find that there are loads of images that just should not be submitted at all and some (many?) with repetitious/same/similar subjects, albeit a little bit "changed".

JP
11-29-2011, 02:10 AM   #195
Veteran Member




Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Frog-eaters country
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 359
Hi,
I have upload 10 photos for PPG the 25 october. Nothing have move. And i have voted for hundreds of photos...
Is it normal ?
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
pentax news, pentax rumors
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Abstract First PPG! Kryosphinx Post Your Photos! 5 01-15-2010 07:03 AM
People ok for PPG devisor Post Your Photos! 10 12-22-2009 10:30 AM
JUST got into the PPG Adrian Owerko Photographic Technique 5 11-25-2009 05:18 AM
Nature 2 for PPG sealonsf Post Your Photos! 3 11-07-2009 01:22 AM
Should we now post back those new K-7 threads back to the DSLR forum? RiceHigh Pentax News and Rumors 2 05-22-2009 07:01 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:05 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top