Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-02-2012, 03:44 PM   #241
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by iocchelli Quote
Wow - I submitted a photo YESTERDAY and it's already approved this morning. That's a new experience for me! Here it is: Pentax: Smoke and Mirrors
I can see why that photo was approved so quickly!

I also had two photos approved in less than 12 hours, there must be a lot of PPGers voting at the moment.

01-02-2012, 10:54 PM   #242
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Mike L Quote
I can see why that photo was approved so quickly!

I also had two photos approved in less than 12 hours, there must be a lot of PPGers voting at the moment.
+1 on both. This shot is great and deserves a fast approval. I had my last one approved within 24 hours.
Seems like many members spend a lot of time voting during the holidays. I sure did!

But maybe people should consider that just a B&W conversion does not turn a bad photo into a piece of art?
Don't get me wrong, I really like good B&W shots. But I have seen many lately which did not convince me.
01-03-2012, 09:06 AM   #243
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by volley Quote
But maybe people should consider that just a B&W conversion does not turn a bad photo into a piece of art?
Don't get me wrong, I really like good B&W shots. But I have seen many lately which did not convince me.
Or submiting the B&W conversion along with the color at the same time.

Last edited by 6bender; 01-12-2012 at 10:58 AM.
01-12-2012, 04:05 AM   #244
Veteran Member

After more than one year of absence, I recently started to be active in the PPG again.

The voting process seems to be significantly shorter now (only hours to days until approval).

However, the recently added photos category ( PENTAX : View the PENTAX Photo Gallery Categories ) imho reveals that several accepted images
  • do not meet gallery standards (e.g. are only vacation snapshots, replicas, ...)
  • are technically insufficient (e.g. unsharp, skew horizons, ...)
  • even violate PPG rules (e.g. contain text overtop the image or borders around the image, ...)
It is also not sufficient that a photo is "liked" (cute pet, child, ...) by most PPG members.

A final human jury should more carefully examine the best ranked submissions before acceptance.

Overall quality seems to have dropped quite a bit, which imho makes the PPG less appealing now.

01-12-2012, 11:01 AM   #245
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by froeschle Quote
After more than one year of absence, I recently started to be active in the PPG again.

The voting process seems to be significantly shorter now (only hours to days until approval).

However, the recently added photos category ( PENTAX : View the PENTAX Photo Gallery Categories ) imho reveals that several accepted images
  • do not meet gallery standards (e.g. are only vacation snapshots, replicas, ...)
  • are technically insufficient (e.g. unsharp, skew horizons, ...)
  • even violate PPG rules (e.g. contain text overtop the image or borders around the image, ...)
It is also not sufficient that a photo is "liked" (cute pet, child, ...) by most PPG members.

A final human jury should more carefully examine the best ranked submissions before acceptance.

Overall quality seems to have dropped quite a bit, which imho makes the PPG less appealing now.
I agree. Pentax seems to be hands off now and I don't think that is acceptable if they want to maintain any kind of quality. They think an honor system will work with submissions and we all know that doesn't work.
01-12-2012, 01:58 PM   #246
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I used to submit at least 10 pics per week, before the advent of the "New PPG", and this far, I've only submitted ONE and it was accepted !

I, too, agree that the standards have gone down quite a bit and find that my pics look a heck of a lot better at Flickr.

Cheers.

JP
01-13-2012, 10:37 AM   #247
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by 6bender Quote
I agree. Pentax seems to be hands off now and I don't think that is acceptable if they want to maintain any kind of quality. They think an honor system will work with submissions and we all know that doesn't work.
Yep, I think the lower IQ they exhibit now combined with the lower standards have caused me to lose what little bit of enthusiasm I still had for PPG. I think I'm done.
01-13-2012, 10:57 AM - 2 Likes   #248
Site Supporter

PPG

Two years ago, I visited the PPG and thought, "OMG, I could never come close to these images and this talent." A few weeks ago, I decided to submit some images just to see what what would happen, and lo and behold, 4 were accepted. I felt good about myself and what seemed to be my improved abilities. Then, on this forum and that other forum, I noticed that folks were discussing how PPG wasn't what it used to be, etc.

As I began to review work submitted to PPG by others, I did notice some shots that frankly, I would never have submitted. I am going to continue with this (I like notifying family that my work, although clearly a hobby, has been judged by others to be pretty good), and will try to judge the work of others fairly strictly, according to the rules.

This activity has been a motivator for me to practice and learn, and hopefully continue to improve my skills. Each declined image is a lesson/opportunity for improvement.

Of course, I may really suck at this, but I am having fun.

01-17-2012, 03:39 PM   #249
Site Supporter

For all those complaining about old images at lower res.

QuoteQuote:
COMING SOON!: For a limited time only, Photo Gallery users will be able to update images uploaded before the new redesign to a higher resolution. More info to come shortly!
01-18-2012, 01:35 PM   #250
Pentaxian

Original Poster
"How to upgrade to 900x pixels image" instructions

Quote from Your Photo Gallery page:

Because the redesigned Photo Gallery allows artists to upload images with a minimum height of 900x pixels, for a limited time only, users who submitted photos on the old site can now update their images to a higher resolution.
Upgrade Instructions:
  • Please click Edit icon under the image thumbnail
  • If applicable, the Upgrade button will appear next to Delete button
  • Click Upgrade and upload the new high resolution version
  • Await upgrade approval
  • Photos awaiting upgrade approval will either have a status of Upgrade pending approval, Upgrade is approved, or Upgrade is declined
  • Only photos uploaded on the old Photo Gallery site can be upgraded
  • Upgraded images must be the same as the old image
  • PENTAX Photo Gallery Support will review your image and upon approval, the hi res image will replace the old image. The new photo will not undergo artist voting.
  • Upgrade feature is only available until 3/1
01-18-2012, 01:47 PM   #251
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Greyser Quote
Quote from Your Photo Gallery page:

Because the redesigned Photo Gallery allows artists to upload images with a minimum height of 900x pixels, for a limited time only, users who submitted photos on the old site can now update their images to a higher resolution.
Upgrade Instructions:
  • Please click Edit icon under the image thumbnail
  • If applicable, the Upgrade button will appear next to Delete button
  • Click Upgrade and upload the new high resolution version
  • Await upgrade approval
  • Photos awaiting upgrade approval will either have a status of Upgrade pending approval, Upgrade is approved, or Upgrade is declined
  • Only photos uploaded on the old Photo Gallery site can be upgraded
  • Upgraded images must be the same as the old image
  • PENTAX Photo Gallery Support will review your image and upon approval, the hi res image will replace the old image. The new photo will not undergo artist voting.
  • Upgrade feature is only available until 3/1
That might get me back into PPG again, who knows?

Does "available until 3/1" mean March 1st?

JP
01-18-2012, 02:12 PM   #252
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
That might get me back into PPG again, who knows?

Does "available until 3/1" mean March 1st?

JP
I think so.
01-24-2012, 03:57 PM   #253
Pentaxian

Approval/decline time seems to be longer again, although the approval time for photo upgrades is pretty quick.
01-24-2012, 05:07 PM   #254
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Approval/decline time seems to be longer again, although the approval time for photo upgrades is pretty quick.
I've noticed it too.
01-25-2012, 11:01 AM   #255
Veteran Member

I'm seeing that as well. The approval for upgrades has been within 24 hours for the 63 I submitted for upgrade.