Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
10-24-2011, 06:44 PM   #31
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
So ... this looks good.

What gets me is that when you upload a picture, they also ask for a "description", which is fine - as it was before actually - but when you want to vote on photos, where is (are) the description(s) ?

Other than that, I think this looks a bit more "pro" than the earlier version. Seems to be a bit faster to load as well.
All in all, it has definitely improved.

Now, one last thing: I need to change that link at the bottom of my signature. It used to send the viewer of this forum directly to my PPG page. Since I am almost computer deficient, how do I do this ? EDIT: I did it !! All OK now. Sorry.

JP

Last edited by jpzk; 10-24-2011 at 06:50 PM.
10-24-2011, 08:34 PM   #32
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

When I first loaded the Gallery, I was seeing a different photographer and it took me a bit to find me. I'm not liking the type, or the color of the type, on black it's hard to read with old eyes. Other than that, I like the new look, and the option to upload larger photos. I always thought that my photos looked better bigger, and the smaller height just didn't do them justice.
10-25-2011, 02:55 AM   #33
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by GordonZA Quote
Just fixed my link to it... it should now be something like http://pentaxphotogallery.com/artists/username#/grid
Actually, it works more nicely as
http: //pentaxphotogallery.com/artists/username

doesn't need the grid part.
QuoteOriginally posted by Catalana Quote
I logged into my account and was extremely disappointed. Images at 600 pixels height, approved from previous submissions are now displayed at 900 pixels height.
They all look like crap.
QuoteOriginally posted by ihasa Quote
Generally prefer the new look and layout, but the upscaling of old images to fit the 900px format is totally unnacceptable. They should be displayed at their intended resolution at 600px high.
Sure, images at their native resolution look slightly better. However, the difference on modern high-resolution screens is almost unnoticeable. A mild loss in perceived sharpness may be noticeable for some subjects. There is no reason why an original 900x600 or 1350x900 image shouldn't be scaled to fill the screen to make a better impact on the viewer. After all, you don't bother to create an image at print resolution, before printing either.

What you see is your browser fail to properly scale the image. E.g., Firefox on MacOSX displays the scaled PPG images just fine.

PPG sends unscaled images to the browser which must do the scaling and some browsers then don't do a proper scaling (just create a pixelated view). PPG isn't to blame. However, some sites scale on the server side and send dynamically created web pages and images to the browser (like SmugMug does).

Theoretically, PPG could double the size of all curently hosted images (which only has little impact on perceived image quality if done properly) and send those to browsers. Could be the easiest solution for everybody.
10-25-2011, 03:21 AM   #34
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Well it prompted me to at last update my profile photo on the PPG!

I think it's a much better site overall. Far faster.

My only complaint is that once you've clicked on the button to get more information and it's displayed it you can't seemingly go back to the full sized image. At least I can't work out how to.

10-25-2011, 03:29 AM   #35
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Caat Quote
Well it prompted me to at last update my profile photo on the PPG!

I think it's a much better site overall. Far faster.

My only complaint is that once you've clicked on the button to get more information and it's displayed it you can't seemingly go back to the full sized image. At least I can't work out how to.
After you click the 'i' to see more information about the photo there should be a red 'X' and 'close' in the top right corner.
10-25-2011, 03:35 AM   #36
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
What you see is your browser fail to properly scale the image. E.g., Firefox on MacOSX displays the scaled PPG images just fine.
As I said, it looks like crap, at least in Safari full screen mode, on my iMac. But then it's a 27" and I just got new glasses for computer work so my vision is too good

But on more common screen sizes I agree that it's fine. My laptop is a 15" with 1680x1050 resolution, and it looks very good.
10-25-2011, 03:40 AM   #37
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by gazonk Quote
As I said, it looks like crap, at least in Safari full screen mode, on my iMac. But then it's a 27" and I just got new glasses for computer work so my vision is too good

But on more common screen sizes I agree that it's fine. My laptop is a 15" with 1680x1050 resolution, and it looks very good.
Must agree it looks pretty ropey at 2050 x 1250 on my 27" iMac as well.

10-25-2011, 05:11 AM   #38
Veteran Member

Glad they took the names off the photos in the voting stage.
Not that it really mattered, but preferred the anonymity.
However, did prefer the old style of listing what equipment had been used to take the pic.
10-25-2011, 07:45 AM   #39
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by thoughton Quote
After you click the 'i' to see more information about the photo there should be a red 'X' and 'close' in the top right corner.
Thanks!
10-25-2011, 09:29 AM   #40
Veteran Member

Posted this in the wrong PPG thread earlier

QuoteQuote:
Saw an interesting thing today, when I visited an old broken PPG link:

10-25-2011, 09:32 AM   #41
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

One thing that's driving me nuts is that the DA L lenses are at the bottom of the lens drop down.
10-25-2011, 03:34 PM   #42

The new design really makes those images look bad on my screen (1920X1200 running Chrome). Downscaling is fine, but I think they should limit the display to the original image size.

As a somewhat-computer-literate user I understand that it's the browser's scaling causing the issue, but if I was completely new to photography and/or computers I would stay far, far away from Pentax. The photos in the PPG are supposed to showcase the high-quality images that a Pentax can capture, instead I see pixelated, noisy-looking images in a "premier gallery". I'm a bit disappointed.
10-25-2011, 07:41 PM   #43
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have tow monitors: an old 17 inch for "data" stuff and a 22 inch which is, I consider, very good.
The PPG pictures seen on the 22 inch monitor just don't do justice to my originals, that's for sure; and I notice some people have similar problems.
Will that make a difference when the voting goes on ?

JP
10-25-2011, 08:04 PM   #44
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
They're still misspelling premiere
Can't tell if this is a joke or not. :O
10-25-2011, 08:27 PM   #45
Pentaxian

The new interface is a lot faster for me but the upscaling sucks. Using both Firefox and IE (I don't use the latter just checked out what many people would see) I find image sharpness to be lacking. Currently, I don't see the images selling Pentax at all. I believe smaller images should be shown at their original size, with borders as necessary.