Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-31-2011, 07:07 PM   #106
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I'm spending an awful lot of time voting the past 2 days.. but I do like getting to the odd one and saying "Oh that's Simon Thomas's work" or "Hey thats definately a Mike Oria shot".. makes it fun to go through and stumble upon familiar shooting styles and subjects.. Sure beats seeing image titles like "Butterfly #3" I wish they could save me the problem and finish it by calling it something like "Butterfly 3 of 28" so i can cheer when I get to number 28.

Also, how long does a picture go through the "voting process" for? Just wondering since I have only bothered to UL 4 shots so far..

10-31-2011, 07:58 PM   #107
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by neil Quote
Please only upload photos that will agree with everyone's current taste.
How about images with technical and artistic merits i.e. composition, exposure, subject matter, lighting, and focus. It also helps if they tick a couple of the PPG's voting criteria:

Can you see this image in a traditional photo gallery or printed publication?

Does this image elicit an emotional response?

Is this image original?

Does this image offer a personal perspective of the subject and display the unique vision of the photographer?

Would this photo stop you if it were hanging in a gallery?
10-31-2011, 08:17 PM   #108
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Chex Quote
I'm spending an awful lot of time voting the past 2 days.. but I do like getting to the odd one and saying "Oh that's Simon Thomas's work" or "Hey thats definately a Mike Oria shot".. makes it fun to go through and stumble upon familiar shooting styles and subjects.. Sure beats seeing image titles like "Butterfly #3" I wish they could save me the problem and finish it by calling it something like "Butterfly 3 of 28" so i can cheer when I get to number 28.

Also, how long does a picture go through the "voting process" for? Just wondering since I have only bothered to UL 4 shots so far..
Its funny, Ive seen Mike's work and other's in there that I know, and yeah sure beats seeing the same butterfly 20 times.

Something strange has happened, Ive just logged in and all my old approved photos are gone
10-31-2011, 08:27 PM   #109
Veteran Member

Maybe they decided that instead of upsizing the old 600 pixel shots, just make people replace them???

10-31-2011, 08:27 PM   #110
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by TOUGEFC Quote
Something strange has happened, Ive just logged in and all my old approved photos are gone
All my approved photos are gone too but my pending photos that I submitted to the old version of the site have reappeared.
10-31-2011, 10:52 PM   #111
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I wondered about this too. Went in tonight to upload a few and found all my approved missing. But going straight to my gallery they are there.

Maybe it's just they aren't going to show you on the page for uploaded images the ones already accepted.
10-31-2011, 11:55 PM   #112
Forum Member

I think they've lost control at ppg. I just started voting again and I know that I've already voted on these images.
I also thing that when they thought of improving the old site, the folks at ppg should have heeded the old adage.....

DON"T TRY TO FIX WHATS NOT BROKE.

Last edited by Gillies; 11-01-2011 at 12:09 AM.
11-01-2011, 12:44 AM   #113
Veteran Member

Yeah, there was nothing wrong really with the old PPG, they should have kept it the same and just removed the slugish FLASH and added a couple of shortcut buttons and it would have been perfect.

11-01-2011, 03:22 AM   #114
Pentaxian

Yeah, there was nothing wrong really with the old PPG, they should have kept it the same and just removed the slugish FLASH and added a couple of shortcut buttons and it would have been perfect.
It was a flash application, so removing flash was equal to full reimplement. I'm glad they did it.
11-01-2011, 04:22 AM   #115
Veteran Member

OK I think I'm going to wait for all the bugs to be solved before bothering again with the PPG. I just logged and my profile was lost, all pictures but 2, lost. Stuff changing day by day. I don't feel like playing beta tester for now.
11-01-2011, 07:46 AM   #116
Site Supporter

I agree, ManuH. I'm pretty fed up with this about now. They should've tested this out before putting it back online. They at least should provide an explanation as to why the photos have disappeared.

I did notice that my previously approved photos do show up when you go to the gallery, rather than signing in via Artist Login, as photolady indicated. So, that's at least something. But at this point, it just doesn't seem like something I want to waste my time or bandwidth on until I hear that it's working correctly.
11-01-2011, 09:22 AM   #117
Pentaxian

Its funny, Ive seen Mike's work and other's in there that I know, and yeah sure beats seeing the same butterfly 20 times.

:

aw gee thanks. Right back atcha, i was delighted to thumbs up your "Spin Me" photo when i saw it in the voting recently. One of my favorite pictures ever! Also a stunning Buddha statue, yours right??

Last edited by mikeSF; 11-01-2011 at 09:33 AM.
11-01-2011, 09:36 AM   #118
Pentaxian

I'm not crazy about the redesign, but I can live with it. The only really terrible thing is the upsizing. I'm not sending anyone to look at my photos there until they fix that because it's embarrassing how bad they look. I'm also not feeling the way images are displayed now, either thumbnail or full-size. It's distracting on the full-size ones that you can see the other images. I much preferred the single-image with a black background of the old site. It was much classier and gallery-like, which is what PPG is supposed to be.
11-01-2011, 10:18 AM   #119
Site Supporter

Well, I'll be. I went to my gallery page, clicked on "return to dashboard" and all the approved photos are there now, along with my new uploads. I too think I'll wait, til they bugs out.

On another note, you all keep saying the photos look awful, I don't see that, but then I don't have an on the motherboard video card either. Mine has 1gb video memory.
11-01-2011, 10:24 AM   #120
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by photolady Quote
On another note, you all keep saying the photos look awful, I don't see that, but then I don't have an on the motherboard video card either. Mine has 1gb video memory.
It depends how large your screen is, rather than your video card or memory.