Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-27-2011, 01:57 PM   #61
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Ed n Georgia Quote
Hmmmm! I just got the e-mail today about the Gallery update.

I wonder what happens to the one nude/topless I have approved in gallery since the new TOS says you can't submit them.
Complete with misspelling

QuoteQuote:
If the image is in breach of the PENTAX Terms of Use, PENTAX reserves the irght to remove the image at any time

10-27-2011, 02:04 PM   #62
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
Complete with misspelling
Thanks.

We'll see how long it takes them to remove it.

The site is much faster and the voting is much easier.
10-27-2011, 02:25 PM   #63
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by areidjr Quote
I voted for over an hour on each of the last three nights and I'm still looking for the outstanding photos I'm currently voting up on 1 in 30-50. I was closer to 1 in 10 previously.

Maybe I don't vote fast enough to have gotten to the good ones yet.
Yeah thats about the same as my ratio's.

Last edited by TOUGEFC; 10-27-2011 at 03:06 PM.
10-27-2011, 02:55 PM   #64
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
the PPG is faster, simplier, and seems more pro.

However, on my 22" 1680*1050 px, all images looks crappy, like too much compressed.

Too bad, because this make feel that pictures have no sharpness, no crisps. And this feeling is really bad, specially on some known pictures

The new PPG seems more pro, but the pictures unfortunately don't show it.

10-27-2011, 03:36 PM   #65
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by aurele Quote
the PPG is faster, simplier, and seems more pro.

However, on my 22" 1680*1050 px, all images looks crappy, like too much compressed.

Too bad, because this make feel that pictures have no sharpness, no crisps. And this feeling is really bad, specially on some known pictures

The new PPG seems more pro, but the pictures unfortunately don't show it.

The problem is that the curent images are 600px high and are being scaled up by the browser. Some browsers are better than others, but, in general, they do a much better job of downsizing than upsizing. The amount of scaling is also dependent on your monitor resolution.
10-27-2011, 04:12 PM   #66
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by TOUGEFC Quote
Yeah maybe, because I voted on hundreds (tonight) and Ive never seen so many bad ones! But there is still some very fine examples of quality photography being submitted
Agreed, there is some real stinkers in there at the moment. I don't think it can all be blamed up the upscaling but it doesn't help.

Anyone know where to find your pending photos? I've seen a couple of mine go through and they look awful upscaled, I'd like to take them out of circulation and resubmit properly sized versions.

Anyone care to speculate how long until we start getting the first approvals and rejections?
10-27-2011, 05:54 PM   #67

While I agree the monitors and upscaling can make the image look worse, I personally don't think that wopuld affect voting. I don't base of the actual IQ of the image, but the artistic value of the image. Just because its razor sharp with len-x and body-y does not make it a good photo.

I've seen way too many technically well taken macros of bugs, but very few of them, are great photos.. Same for flowers, although a lot of the flower photos are just snapshots IMO.

I doubt photos would get a no vote due to upscaling or how it looks on a monitor. You may have calibrated your setup on a 27"+ monitor, but it means nothing to people voting on an uncalibrated 22" monitor.

10-27-2011, 09:48 PM   #68

I had a look through the Pentax Gallery recently. I know the old interface was....well, pretty terrible... but it was that website that initially sparked my interest in Pentax. I remember spending hours trawling though the images to see which lenses I liked and learning about different ways they could be used.

Fast forward to the new interface, looks great and seems pretty easy to navigate, but F*** the pictures look SOOOOO bad. Honestly, if I saw those pictures way back when I was getting into photography I would have gone Canon. I think that Ricoh is doing a diservice to themselves with the website now, a once great resource is now a bit of an eyesore. What were they thinking???
10-28-2011, 03:22 AM   #69
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Does anyone know if you recieve any kind of notifcation if someone comments on one of your photographs?
10-28-2011, 03:31 AM   #70
Veteran Member

I see they still don't notify you when you have an acceptance. I can see from the totals I've had one acceptance since yesterday, but it's not at either the beginning or end of my 'Approved list' (the sorting on that list seems to be broken, from page 2 to the end it seems to be in chronological order, but page 1 is all over the place).

Also annoying that the Collection photos don't say 'Approved in collection' beneath them anymore, they just say 'Approved' like all the other photos. How are we supposed to know if one gets selected?
10-28-2011, 06:14 AM   #71
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by TOUGEFC Quote
One thing I have noticed in voting, is that the photos being submited have really dropped in standards
I agreed..... in the past the 'not so good' photos at least you can see the photographer trying to get a good composition, and certainly is the best he could capture...
Now bad photos include snap shot while driving in the car... OOF shots, some looks like P&S or cell phone pics...

Lee
10-28-2011, 08:34 PM   #72
Veteran Member

They are other people who are tired to see 10 times the same pic : latest PPG cliches are....: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review
10-28-2011, 11:56 PM   #73
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Couscousdelight Quote
They are other people who are tired to see 10 times the same pic : latest PPG cliches are....: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review
We are the same people. We are here and there. Whining about bad pictures is not constructive. There are many very new people around who recently acquired Pentax cameras and just discovered PPG. Just look how many new names are now posting in both Pentax forums. And they want to share their joy. The only control over this is fair voting.
At the same time showing our older images at 900 pixels instead of 600 is humiliating and needs to be fixed. I'm not a programmer, but I think it's a matter of simple "IF" statement. When any image is clicked the software needs to compare the date of submission/acceptance (if-statement) and show an older picture at 600 pixels and new one - at 900. There are some other bugs, but this one is the most damaging IMHO.
Pentax are you listening?
10-29-2011, 06:03 AM   #74
Forum Member

Tried to upload 2 images this morning and got the message "Could not add this photo to the gallery" even though I uploaded 2 yesterday from the same file with no problems.
I've also been voting as much as possible since I'm sure there,s a huge backlog, but I have to say that the black borders really detract from the images and are starting to get on my nerves.
10-29-2011, 02:44 PM   #75
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Gillies Quote
Tried to upload 2 images this morning and got the message "Could not add this photo to the gallery" even though I uploaded 2 yesterday from the same file with no problems.
I've also been voting as much as possible since I'm sure there,s a huge backlog, but I have to say that the black borders really detract from the images and are starting to get on my nerves.
Same here.