Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-29-2011, 03:52 PM   #76
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I share the sentiment over image resolution issues with the current PPG setup. The interface looks OK - not outstandingly better than the previous flash based site (which I prefer for its more minimalist look to highlight the work better) but the crux of the showcase is the photos. They *must* be a priority to be rendered well on the site, and as it stands PPG is not doing this well. Feedback ought to be provided to them if we're not satisfied with its look at present.

10-29-2011, 06:12 PM   #77
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by H. Sapiens Quote
I admit Pentax have faced a problem with no easy solution: The interface needed to be updated and then what to do with the existing content?
It is not all that difficult, actually. They don't have to display every image at the same resolution, which ruins images that were submitted at a resolution less than what is the maximum allowed today.

They could very easily detect and display existing content in its native resolution, or down-scale it if necessary to the maximum they allow today. That way, not all images are displayed at the same resolution, but they will at least be displayed at their optimum resolution.
10-29-2011, 08:11 PM   #78
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by LFLee Quote
Same here.
I just tried to upload an image and it failed. Tried using both FireFox and IE8, but no lick. I have 64 accepted images in the gallery, so I think I know how to upload an image (well maybe).

Pretty frustrating since I get the same error message even if I submit using the old size. Not very helpful.
10-30-2011, 07:33 AM   #79
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yes upload is obviously broken at this time. i cannot upload either and I have only 4 pending pictures and 95 accepted.

The new site is OK but obviously a bit rushed because there is a lot of bugs. On the voting page I regularly get to vote on black pictures for example. Some of the bugs have already been corrected so there is hope for improvements in the short term.

10-30-2011, 08:06 AM   #80

Photos: Albums
I don’t have much experience with PPG. My account was created right before the site when into upgrade mode. However I was able to upload two (of two) pictures on 10/29 providing they were reduced in size to something like 1780x1024 & 1542x1024. Full size jpg file would fail. The uploaded pictures don’t look as sharp as the resized originals on my pc do.

Last edited by DanWeso; 10-30-2011 at 08:19 AM. Reason: corrected upload date
10-30-2011, 10:37 AM   #81
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Gillies Quote
Tried to upload 2 images this morning and got the message "Could not add this photo to the gallery"
Tried to upload 1 image today (first since the re-opening) and got NO error message - but the upload didn't work
10-30-2011, 10:39 AM   #82
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by gazonk Quote
Tried to upload 1 image today (first since the re-opening) and got NO error message - but the upload didn't work
Tried again and I did indeed get the "could not upload this photo to the gallery" error message, so I guess it's just not working today. I'll try again tomorrow.

10-30-2011, 11:46 AM   #83

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by gazonk Quote
Tried again and I did indeed get the "could not upload this photo to the gallery" error message, so I guess it's just not working today. I'll try again tomorrow.
The upload problem might be region specific. I just uploaded a 4173x2766 10 mb file with no problems. I live in the northeast US.
10-30-2011, 01:02 PM   #84
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
...The interface looks OK - not outstandingly better than the previous flash based sit... Feedback ought to be provided to them if we're not satisfied with its look at present.
They have listened and changed the Thumbs Up/Down button icon color. Don't be shy, send your feedback.

QuoteQuote:
To: ******
Sent: Friday, October 28, 2011 12:13 PM
Subject: Re: PENTAX Photogallery Help and Support Email

Hi - this has been fixed!

On 10/24/11 7:58 PM, "webmaster@pentaxphotogallery.com"
<webmaster@pentaxphotogallery.com> wrote:

> Hello, this is from song_hm(***@****.com)
>
> The Thumbs Up mouse over color should be Green, not Red.
>

Last edited by song_hm; 10-30-2011 at 01:03 PM. Reason: fix typo
10-30-2011, 04:54 PM   #85
Forum Member

I just got to vote on one of my photos that I uploaded before the old ppg shut down even though it wasn't carried over to my photo gallery's pending page.
That ain't right.
10-30-2011, 06:52 PM   #86
Veteran Member

I tried to give them some respectful criticism using the email address listed on the site but instead I received;

"Unable to deliver message to the following recipients, due to being unable to connect successfully to the destination mail server.

pentaxsupport@tosystems.com"

????
10-30-2011, 07:06 PM   #87
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Does anyone know on how to leave "comments" on any photo ... is this on the ones having been voted on or for those pics already accepted?
Or maybe it is only for us users ("artists") to want to have comments?

What is it ?

JP

By the way, I am not too fond of this new process and presentation , plus the pics do look awful for the most part.
I am sure this does not justice to some photos which would otherwise be voted "thumbs up".

JP
10-31-2011, 12:32 AM   #88
Veteran Member

I think you can only leave comments on photo's that the artist allows comments on...

OMG if I see another 5 shots of that same damn butterfly.... why can't people pick the BEST shot of their subject and PP and submit it only.. after I see the second of the same subject, they all get the thumbs down from that point on. stuff like THIS..
First shot = Yes, nice capture, I love the lighting coming through the trees etc... could use a slight crop to take out the cell tower or whatever that is in the top.
Second shot.. another boat on the same river.. decent enough, but not as nice as the first IMO.. so why not choose your best from your own shots and submit ONE of these shots..
Third shot.. REALLY?? No offense to whoever took it.. but submitting it for PPG.. REALLY?? This looks like a missed capture from a late 90's cell phone.. Just having shots like this to vote down seems to be a waste of time!
Sorry for it being a bit of a rant but if everyone goes through their voting for 15 minutes even.. I bet there is at least 5 minutes worth of images that should have been reconsidered before uploading..
Attached Images

10-31-2011, 12:51 AM   #89

totally agree
10-31-2011, 01:10 AM   #90
Pentaxian

Finally PPG works on Chrome. The new interface is much nicer and smoother. I was having a look yesterday & in the normal mode, the 600p images are not sized-up to 900, they looked fine to me (though small, of course).