Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-01-2011, 11:02 AM   #121
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
22" Samsung LCD @ 1680x1050. And onboard memory less than 256 is not going to get even that close on a CRT.

Last edited by photolady95; 11-01-2011 at 11:13 AM.
11-01-2011, 01:45 PM   #122
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by photolady Quote
22" Samsung LCD @ 1680x1050. And onboard memory less than 256 is not going to get even that close on a CRT.
My setup is virtually the same. 22" HP monitor with a HD graphics card that I installed myself. Always been very pleased with what this has given me in the past and I keep it calibrated. But PPG looks like crap now. It has to do with the browser. I normally use Firefox with no problems, but I just tried it with IE and it looked fine, but the photos were not enlarged, either. This is how it should behave, IMO, but they need to get it where Firefox does the same, and I guess they will.

Edit: Whoops, spoke too soon. I was just looking at the "artist's dashboard" page. I just went to my regular gallery page and it is enlarging all the photos on IE, too. Still looks better than FF, but not as good as it should. As has been previously mentioned, they need to have some code written to leave the previous 600px images as they are, and enable some way to let us easily replace the old ones with new, bigger copies.

Last edited by DogLover; 11-01-2011 at 01:52 PM.
11-01-2011, 01:50 PM   #123
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I don't use Firefox for all my forums or PPG, I use Opera. Opera doesn't resize photos, afaik, and I don't see crappy photos, mine or any one else's.
11-01-2011, 02:04 PM   #124
Veteran Member

I don't see crappy photos, mine or any one else's.
I didn't either, until now.

11-01-2011, 02:42 PM   #125
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
For 2D viewing video card has VERY little to do with picture quality my laptop w/onboard looks just as bad as my i7 2600k+ w AMD 6870 512GB card does...just different screen sizes! LCD/LED vs CRT.. well some CRT's still produce truer colors than most older and lower end LCD's.. just at a big desk real estate hit.. Web browsers usually don't change the image size unless you've activated or DL'd a plugin to do so. I think it has a LOT to do with their flash programming and how they scale images to fit their 900 pixel height.. I make sure my images ARE 900 pixel height now and no more, or it just gets re-sized and probably ruined.
11-01-2011, 03:23 PM   #126
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I'm not here to argue about this video discussion. I know when I had my older P3 333Mhz with onboard video at 32mb, photos didn't look bad but they looked better when I upgraded.

Oh and I upload all my new photos at the 900 pixel height also.

Last edited by photolady95; 11-01-2011 at 03:31 PM.
11-01-2011, 03:49 PM   #127
Veteran Member

This voting thing keep getting weirder and weirder. I started running across photos that meet the new size standard (900px high), then I start to see photos that are huge (3,440px × 2,290px (scaled to 1,564px × 1,041px by the browser)). I thought they were going to automatically downsize over-sized images to the new standard. You only see this if you click the "Enlarge Photo" Button. I wonder how they will display in the gallery if accepted.

On the bright side, they now display the category and EXIF info.

EDIT: Now I'm starting to see photos that I know I already voted on.

EDIT 2: It's interesting to see the PPG evolve over the course of only a little over a week. I just notices that a "Recently Added" gallery has been included.

Last edited by areidjr; 11-01-2011 at 05:44 PM.
11-02-2011, 03:08 AM   #128
Veteran Member

So how large is the photo displaying for you? Once you take browser chrome into account the photos must only be about 800 pixels high? That's not much upscaling from 600 pixels high. On my screen the same 600 pixel high photos are being upscaled to 1250 high. As you can imagine they look terrible
11-02-2011, 03:10 AM   #129
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by areidjr Quote
EDIT 2: It's interesting to see the PPG evolve over the course of only a little over a week. I just notices that a "Recently Added" gallery has been included.
They finally brought it back! I know this will please quite a few people. Thanks for listening Pentax. (You'd better be listening )
11-02-2011, 05:21 AM   #130
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by thoughton Quote
So how large is the photo displaying for you? Once you take browser chrome into account the photos must only be about 800 pixels high? That's not much upscaling from 600 pixels high. On my screen the same 600 pixel high photos are being upscaled to 1250 high.
I do not use Google Chrome. I use Opera. And images are not resized either up or down, they display in the original size. If Chrome is upscaling photos maybe you should find another browser. 1250 is a bit too much, imo.
11-02-2011, 05:33 AM   #131
Veteran Member

I do not use Google Chrome. I use Opera. And images are not resized either up or down, they display in the original size. If Chrome is upscaling photos maybe you should find another browser. 1250 is a bit too much, imo.
Sorry for being confusing, I didn't mean Google Chrome - 'browser chrome' refers to the stuff that's part of the browser but isn't part of the webpage being displayed (menubar, toolbars, status bar, etc).

I've just had a quick look at PPG in Opera on the Mac, and it also upscales images (as does Chrome, Firefox, and Safari).

Can you measure the image that your Opera is displaying? I think it's probably larger than 600 pixels high.
11-02-2011, 05:47 AM   #132
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Oh, okay. I thought you meant the browser Google Chrome. Got that sorted but I have no idea how to measure pixels on my browser. And I am on a PC not a Mac (too expensive for me). Perhaps it's because you use a Mac and I don't. Probably not but I'm guessing here.
11-02-2011, 06:05 AM   #133
Veteran Member

Ok, now that's sorted out

Back on topic, the PPG seems to be kind of working properly today. All my accepted photos have re-appeared since vanishing yesterday, I have 3 photos in the 'declined' section (the first of what will no doubt be many 'declines' under the new system, woohoo), and my pending photos are being displayed correctly. I did some voting this morning though, and I'm still seeing old 600px high uploads from before the redesign.
11-02-2011, 09:00 AM   #134
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Catalana Quote
I logged into my account and was extremely disappointed. Images at 600 pixels height, approved from previous submissions are now displayed at 900 pixels height.
They all look like crap. Looks like I will have to pull all 109 images, and start all over again. I will try to contact the gallery admins and ask what can be done about it,
but I will not get my hopes up. All I can do, is shake my head. Almost two years worth of submissions. Oh well, it was fun while it lasted. "flickr" will most likely be my
main repository now.

Edit: I sent a query to PPG, but the text box limits the amount of characters. Time to move on...
I just saw this post of yours and wanted to share the same feelings about the rendition of previously accepted photos at 600 pixels high which now look "like crap" .... and I totally agree !

I have 240 pics in there, some (many) of which will definitely be pulled out as they do not quite represent what I can do now, after a few years of using the K10D, the K20D, the K7 and now the K5.
Things have improved (skills wise) so I guess I won't be sorry to delete a few.

Anyway, back to the 600 pixels thing: did you get any reply from PPG about that?
And if one has to start all over again, can at least the 600 pixel-high pics be corrected and simply "edited" to 900 pixels so that they would stay in there as "accepted"?

I have started a Flickr account and this seems to be a better place for "depositing" pics ... agreed there too.

Just curious how you made out with this issue.

Cheers.

JP
11-02-2011, 10:53 AM   #135
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have come to the end of the Internet.

Name:  Screen Shot 2011-11-02 at 1.51.38 PM.jpg
Views: 349
Size:  76.2 KB