Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-05-2012, 03:52 PM   #256
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
i button ?

Hi,

I always enjoy looking at the photos on PPG. I find them inspiring and educational. But, I've noticed that since the new version of PPG came out, I am unable to read the shot specifics previously seen by clicking on the "i" button. I really miss this feature. Is there some way I can remedy this ? Is it a problem with my browser (IE8)? Appreciate any info. Thanks.

02-06-2012, 12:56 PM   #257

I've definitely noticed that they are far less strict about the quality of entries. The last 15 images I've submitted have all been accepted. I'd never seen even close to that success rate in the past.

PENTAX : PENTAX Photo Gallery artist page
04-26-2012, 07:17 PM   #258
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by deanm3 Quote
I've definitely noticed that they are far less strict about the quality of entries. The last 15 images I've submitted have all been accepted. I'd never seen even close to that success rate in the past.

PENTAX : PENTAX Photo Gallery artist page
Thats if you get beyond pending voting, I have submitted a few back on the 13th and still no change
04-27-2012, 04:06 AM   #259
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Chaos_Realm Quote
Thats if you get beyond pending voting, I have submitted a few back on the 13th and still no change
I submitted 3 images many weeks ago, and just a few days ago 1 was accepted and 2 were rejected - it seems it's taking longer time again.

04-27-2012, 07:06 AM   #260
Site Supporter

It seems to be about 3 weeks at the moment, mine tend to get approved or not pretty much exactly three weeks from the day I submitted. Im generally getting about 3 of 5 in each time
10-23-2013, 07:26 PM   #261
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
What's new?

Exactly two years ago I started this thread when renovated PPG was renewed.
Today I'm wondering how many of you still participate in PPG, what are your achievements or grudge against PPG. Please post the links to your PPG pages, if you wish to share your recent work.

Regarding me. To me PPG is convenient way to show some of my work to other people. I was on and off. However, in two years somehow I managed 200+ images to be accepted in PPG; mostly birds.

There is a link: PENTAX : PENTAX Photo Gallery artist page

Please do not hesitate to post your wish list (if you wish ): what would you like to see improved in PPG what do you hate the most.

Personally, I think PPG may implement some kind of image sale feature, like other many respected online galleries do now.

Thank you in advance for participation,

SG
10-23-2013, 07:53 PM   #262
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Greyser Quote
Exactly two years ago I started this thread when renovated PPG was renewed.
Today I'm wondering how many of you still participate in PPG, what are your achievements or grudge against PPG. Please post the links to your PPG pages, if you wish to share your recent work.

Regarding me. To me PPG is convenient way to show some of my work to other people. I was on and off. However, in two years somehow I managed 200+ images to be accepted in PPG; mostly birds.

There is a link: PENTAX : PENTAX Photo Gallery artist page

Please do not hesitate to post your wish list (if you wish ): what would you like to see improved in PPG what do you hate the most.

Personally, I think PPG may implement some kind of image sale feature, like other many respected online galleries do now.

Thank you in advance for participation,

SG
This thread is up to 342 pages...

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/post-your-photos/17111-pentax-photo-galle...y-entries.html

10-23-2013, 10:55 PM   #263
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
This thread is up to 342 pages...
So what? Our '300mm plus' thread is 633 pages long, and we still post every day.

Reviving this particular thread I just don't want to start from scratch. If nobody is interested, it will die naturally. However, I'm very interested what's going on with PPG. I don't want to hear only from people who participate in PPG for sure. I'd like to hear from ones who were very excited 2 years ago, but not anymore. I suspect that PPG doesn't look very healthy and desirable to many people anymore.

Last edited by Greyser; 10-23-2013 at 11:30 PM.
10-24-2013, 12:38 AM   #264
Pentaxian

So what? Our '300mm plus' thread is 633 pages long, and we still post every day.

Reviving this particular thread I just don't want to start from scratch. If nobody is interested, it will die naturally. However, I'm very interested what's going on with PPG. I don't want to hear only from people who participate in PPG for sure. I'd like to hear from ones who were very excited 2 years ago, but not anymore. I suspect that PPG doesn't look very healthy and desirable to many people anymore.
I dunno what it's like now.
At first it was pretty much selective (maybe a tad too much) but website was a dud.
About 2 years ago they redid the whole thing. Got a lot more pictures in but also noticed that a lot of pictures (in general) really had... nothing particular.
I mean, not that they're bad but... any photo gallery is the same and I don't have to use a Pentax cam. So I stopped.

But I'm still curious. If it works well and the current states of things suits me, I may get back to it.
10-24-2013, 01:27 AM   #265
Pentaxian

However, I'm very interested what's going on with PPG.
I started submitting some images again this year. After the summer holidays, I submitted two batches of five images each. 9 of 10 were accepted. I think (hope) the high acceptance rate doesn't mean the standards are lower, but rather reflects my own pickiness (I only submitted images that had gotten positive feedback on e.g. flickr or facebook).

What I've noticed, is that the number of submitted images must be much higher now. I tried very hard to vote until there were nothing left to vote for, but never came to the end. Voting is possibly more of a pain than it used to be, there is really a lot of noise with incredibly bad pictures being submitted (e.g. a whole series of boring and similar images that weren't even rotated correctly!).

After the painful voting experience, I thought that it wouldn't be much of an honor to be accepted in the PPG anymore. But when I had a look at the other images being accepted at the same time as my most recent batch, I was very positively surprised and felt proud to have my work accepted together with the works of much more talented photographers than me. There are still some really outstanding images being added to the PPG!

Another positive experience I had was that 4 out of 9 of the recently accepted images were B+W images - it used to be very hard to get B+W shots accepted in the PPG (check my signature link to the PPG if you're interested in having a look).

....and btw, I'm proud to announce that my 15 year son got his first image accepted, too. This has really sparked his interest in photography, and he's now searching ebay for old macro lenses to use with my old K10D (he borrowed my DA35 Ltd for this shot): PENTAX : PENTAX Photo Gallery artist page
10-24-2013, 01:49 AM   #266
Veteran Member

The site revamp was welcome but it was very clumsily done by external consultants. The relaunch was riddled with bugs and a lot of aspects just were not thought through. My favourite example was the 'recently added' category of images. It was omitted from the relaunch and then when reinstated it was added as a category for the submission process - ie: when you selected a best fit category for your image you had to choose, for instance, between 'portraiture', 'wildlife' or 'recently added'. That was just as dumb as dumb gets. The site was sorted out after users reported all the many failings. It is now looking a lot better but I am less satisfied with how it is working and I have no confidence in the integrity of the approval process. Images submitted at the same time are all approved/declined in batches, that doesn't seem logical to me and it is different to how it used to work. Approvals used to come during normal working hours in the US (never weekends). Approvals now happen at any time, day or night, weekend, holidays. My guess is that the process has been moved to a fully automated one based on a flawed mechanism, or at least one where the acceptance criteria are suspect. Given that the launch was bug ridden it is likely that the unseen processes have errors too. I would like to audit the approval process, I think I would find some fundamental flaws.

The standard of acceptances was always a bone of contention. I think that the standard following the relaunch has declined substantially. Acceptance rates used to be a lot lower. Since relaunch I have had very few rejections and an acceptance rate of around 98%.

There are still some oustanding images on the site, but it is harder to find them amongst a lower standard and the high volumes. The Premiere Collection is a great showcase for the finest images but up until a couple of days ago there had been no new images there since April - it was simply neglected. The recent addition was a K3 image and clearly extraneous to the normal process. It is a great image but nonetheless I think acceptances should be based purely on merit and all users treated the same. The 'featured artist' has also been based on nepotism recently with the standard Pentax 'favourites' selected. Again all great photographers but it smacks of a marketing exercise above all else and I see no reason not to showcase other great but unknown photographers. Other aspects of the site such as the featured collections, a good idea in principle, have also been neglected.

Basically the PPG is a great idea. There is still a lot to like about it and ultimately, the submitter is still responsible for the quality of their personal gallery. But I think more effort and the integrity of the process should be revaluated. It is a good site, sometimes very good, sometimes average or worse. But with more care and effort to better maintain it and to ensure its integrity it could have been a great site. I think the current look of the site combined with the former method of operation would have been much better than what we have ended up with.
10-24-2013, 02:01 AM - 1 Like   #267
Forum Member

The best thing about PPG used to be that a jury had the final word and it was hard to get a photo accepted. The quality was on a high level but not unrealistic.

Now that the approval is made by users only I think too many photos are accepted and PPG has lost its magic.
10-24-2013, 02:02 AM   #268
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by retroflex Quote
The best thing about PPG used to be that a jury had the final word and it was hard to get a photo accepted. The quality was on a high level but not unrealistic.

Now that the approval is made by users only I think too many photos are accepted and PPG has lost its magic.
Are you sure there has been a change? I thought a jury still had the final word.