Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-30-2011, 06:08 PM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
How long to wait: I'll not hold my breath. Waiting is...
I grok that.

10-30-2011, 06:43 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Share water!
10-30-2011, 07:41 PM   #18
Pentaxian

We need a photo catalog of Jubal's harem. And while we're at it, I'm not fond of Anne - she'll remember everything I've told her. I cannot keep that many misdirections straight.
10-30-2011, 08:54 PM   #19
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by GabrielFFontes Quote
Mirrorless full-frame, the K1000D :P
Just kidding
I'll sign up for one, but ME super body please. (I can do w/o the SR)

10-30-2011, 11:49 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Never lie to a Fair Witness. And Jubal had the cams disconnected.

But I digress. I'll guess that Ricoh's market-gap-plugger will be a FF or 645 GXR mountor. Or else a holographic cam. There's a big market gap in holo.cams. Just wait and see. But what do I know? I am only an egg.
10-31-2011, 02:33 AM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Full frame mirrorless would indeed be a current gap in the market. Or MF mirrorless
10-31-2011, 06:40 AM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Maybe they mean the gap in the market left after Nikon's lens factory in Thailand was flooded?
10-31-2011, 07:11 AM   #23
Veteran Member

Looking at what was the market in the nineties, and what is today, I see just one thing missing: the Nikonos underwater cameras.
Both Pentax and Ricoh have a tradition of water resistant, submergible com pats, maybe they are going to create a mirrorless system camera to be used under water.

10-31-2011, 07:44 AM   #24

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by eurostar Quote
Looking at what was the market in the nineties, and what is today, I see just one thing missing: the Nikonos underwater cameras.
Both Pentax and Ricoh have a tradition of water resistant, submergible com pats, maybe they are going to create a mirrorless system camera to be used under water.
Now that would be something I would be interested in!
10-31-2011, 07:49 AM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ben E Quote
Now that would be something I would be interested in!
But it would sell even less than a Pentax FF. I think there's a valid reason that the truly excellent Nikonos RS does not exist anymore.

10-31-2011, 08:15 AM   #26
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by glanglois Quote
If we assume that Mr Moloney means precisely what he says, "... a new product that will plug a gap in the market, which will be unveiled in 2012.", then the gap in the market will be unveiled in 2012. In other words, we have not yet seen the gap.

Or maybe it's the market that will be unveiled in 2012.

Pay no heed; it's just a digression into syntax on a quite Sunday afternoon in autumn ....
Hahahahaha. Classic, I love it!
10-31-2011, 08:20 AM - 1 Like   #27
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by gazonk Quote
How about affordable MF...?
I hate to break it to you, but the 645D is VERY affordable. The 645D is competing with cameras 5 times its price. A $45,000 Lamborghini would be very affordable, even if most of us still couldn't get one.

Just because all of us want a 645D and can't afford one, isn't a good reason for Pentax to drop the price or offer something else that cuts under it. Technology costs, R&D costs, and there a bottom line to protect. They are after all, running a business, not a charity. I would wager that the 645D is one of the most competively priced and best bang for buck camera on the market, when you look at the big picture.
10-31-2011, 08:29 AM   #28
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by FullertonImages Quote
I hate to break it to you, but the 645D is VERY affordable. The 645D is competing with cameras 5 times its price. A $45,000 Lamborghini would be very affordable, even if most of us still couldn't get one.

Just because all of us want a 645D and can't afford one, isn't a good reason for Pentax to drop the price or offer something else that cuts under it. Technology costs, R&D costs, and there a bottom line to protect. They are after all, running a business, not a charity. I would wager that the 645D is one of the most competively priced and best bang for buck camera on the market, when you look at the big picture.
I have to agree. the 645D is affordable Medium format. the only thing coming close on price is the Leaf Aptus/Phase kit at $13000

Leaf Aptus-II 5 with Phase One DF Body and 80mm LS Lens Digital Backs 020-00900A - Vistek Canada Product Detail

22MP versus the 40mp of a 645D. issues with the back needing shimming for accurate film plane distance not weather resistant.....really meant for studio work more than general work. for about the same as the 645d with a base lens
10-31-2011, 09:40 AM   #29
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by gazonk Quote
Because of what? Given a more moderate pixel count than the 645D, maybe someone can produce a more reasonably priced sensor.
Because as I understand it the MF sensor market suffers from several 'problems' as regard falling prices:

1). Limited number of sensor manfacturers
2). Small number of sales in relation to other sensors
3). There are no commercially available CMOS MF sensors to my knowledge (all CCD)
4). Current MF sensor designs lag FF and APS-C

Essentially I think that because the market is so small there is little drive behind lowering prices or investment in the technology to produce more advanced sensors (which might help drive sales / invigorate the market).

I'm no expect in this of course!
10-31-2011, 10:50 AM   #30
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

i think the CMOS limitation is it needs to be a multi piece sensor even for 35mm ff so it may not be viable yet as MF sizes. CCD has some advantages AFAIK as well tha may well be suited to the Low iso (mostly) shooting done with MF cameras. It is also likely that it can be cut from a single sheet and not require the same tech as CMOS for larger sizes. Falk would be the guy who would know though not me (i know the ccd output of the K10 at 100 iso is better than my K7)

from the luminous landscape

QuoteQuote:
CCDs, though eclipsed long ago for use as memory devices, and needing additional off-chip processing circuitry, are still in use at the high end of image capture, including in all medium format digital backs. The reason for this is their superior image quality. They have the potential for greater light sensitivity, lower noise and higher dynamic range. This is not to say that there aren't CMOS cameras that are capable of very good, even excellent performance in these areas. But, one has to ask why companies like Phase One, Leaf, Hasselblad / Imacon, and various military and scientific applications prefer to use CCD chips, in spite of their higher costs, greater power needs and other drawbacks. The answer likely comes down to one thing image quality.