Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-31-2011, 11:07 AM   #31
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Asahiflex Quote
But it would sell even less than a Pentax FF. I think there's a valid reason that the truly excellent Nikonos RS does not exist anymore.
I honestly don't think it would make much to make the K-5 waterproof to a shallow depth, like 8 feet or something. The amount of time I've spent shooting in the rain, getting hit by waves, and washing it off under the faucet, has led me to believe at its virtually for some time. This thought was confirmed a few weeks ago, when a friend/colleague of mine, while filming the kayak section of an adventure race from the back od a skidoo, got dumped by his driver and was swimming with his K-5 and 18-55WR strapped to his chest for 5-10 seconds. Got back on the skidoo and get filming. Camera and lens both still work.

Obviously the camera was really only just under the surface of the water, which while still fully submerged, is a huge dif ference in pressure than 8 feet under. But I still don't think it would take much to beef up the seals and tighten the construction to make it feasible. I would think the biggest issue would be sealing the lens mount. And also, a whole new line of lenses would need to be designed. Maybe just primes only, no zoom.

I think if they managed to do this, in a way that was still somewhat aesthetic and enjoyable to use, it would hit home in a lot of market. The problem would be that they might pull a typical Pentax move, which is design something that is truly innovative and unique in certain ways, while still falling be hind canikon in more conventionally measured features. All the innovation and originality in the w irks will never over come, " But the Dxxxx focussed faster", or "The xxD has better video performance and more features ".

10-31-2011, 11:21 AM   #32
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by FullertonImages Quote
I honestly don't think it would make much to make the K-5 waterproof to a shallow depth, like 8 feet or something. The amount of time I've spent shooting in the rain, getting hit by waves, and washing it off under the faucet, has led me to believe at its virtually for some time. This thought was confirmed a few weeks ago, when a friend/colleague of mine, while filming the kayak section of an adventure race from the back od a skidoo, got dumped by his driver and was swimming with his K-5 and 18-55WR strapped to his chest for 5-10 seconds. Got back on the skidoo and get filming. Camera and lens both still work.

Obviously the camera was really only just under the surface of the water, which while still fully submerged, is a huge dif ference in pressure than 8 feet under. But I still don't think it would take much to beef up the seals and tighten the construction to make it feasible. I would think the biggest issue would be sealing the lens mount. And also, a whole new line of lenses would need to be designed. Maybe just primes only, no zoom.

I think if they managed to do this, in a way that was still somewhat aesthetic and enjoyable to use, it would hit home in a lot of market. The problem would be that they might pull a typical Pentax move, which is design something that is truly innovative and unique in certain ways, while still falling be hind canikon in more conventionally measured features. All the innovation and originality in the w irks will never over come, " But the Dxxxx focussed faster", or "The xxD has better video performance and more features ".
primes would be really all you need, for that matter just wider primes for the most part and nothing bigger than 50 mm on apsc (say a 14-21-28-43 set all fast)
if you could keep the k mount on the beefed up under water lenses then for the rest of the lengths you could rely on the normal line
10-31-2011, 01:36 PM   #33
Site Supporter

A large format digital would be a market gap. So would a mirrorless large format.
10-31-2011, 01:43 PM   #34
Veteran Member

Anyone think "plugging a gap means" waterproof mirror-less camera?
QuoteOriginally posted by innershell Quote
Source: Ricoh eyes growth with camera push - Marketing news - Marketing magazine

What does this mean?
  • Full frame Pentax/Ricoh body? Full frame is not a gap in the market with Canon and Nikon all having FF bodies for years.
  • Full frame mirrorless body? Not really a gap, unless talking about "affordable" full-frame mirrorless?
  • Some absurd, non-existent gap drawn up by sales/marketing such as between the Pentax Q or the Nikon 1?
  • High-end Ricoh P&S's?

10-31-2011, 01:53 PM   #35
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Steelski Quote
Anyone think "plugging a gap means" waterproof mirror-less camera?
Could be. But hopefully not Q-mount, because that would just be an expensive version of the W-series... It doesn't need to have interchangeable lenses: If they come with a camera with the K-5 sensor and a fixed moderate wide angle lens, I will be *very* tempted to replace my W10 with something more powerful for the next summer season :-)
10-31-2011, 02:03 PM   #36
Pentaxian

I hate to break it to you, but the 645D is VERY affordable. The 645D is competing with cameras 5 times its price.
I know. But the cropped 645 sensor isn't that much bigger than a 24x36 sensor, so there is no law of nature that dictates that it has to stay that expensive forever...
10-31-2011, 02:39 PM   #37
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
This gap is definitely empty

but I don't think it is a very wide gap.
10-31-2011, 02:50 PM   #38
Oog
Forum Member

Does the "gap" refer to the digital photography marketplace in general or a "gap" in Pentax/Ricoh's current offerings?

(Hmmm, full-frame is definitely a "gap" in Pentax/Ricoh's offerings) hee hee.

10-31-2011, 02:59 PM   #39
Pentaxian

I predict that Ricoh will be listening in on this forum and release something that will annoy the greatest number of people.
10-31-2011, 03:05 PM   #40
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by johnmflores Quote
I predict that Ricoh will be listening in on this forum and release something that will annoy the greatest number of people.
In that case I would recommend they release an FF camera. But that's just because I just bought a DA* 50-135 and it's not an FF lens, and I think this thread deserves the assumption that I'm the only one who matters.

Edit: Actually, I though I was in that much longer speculation thread. But still, this one will no doubt soon be just as amazing.
10-31-2011, 03:26 PM   #41
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Douglas_of_Sweden Quote
This gap is definitely empty

but I don't think it is a very wide gap.
Wow, never seen this before! Thanks for that.

Well as long the 645D isn't using it's full sensorsize I don't see a 150 megapixel 6x7D coming. A underwaterhousing for a new 645D with a large CMOS sensor that futures video would be a big bang. Coult future a need 100 megapixel sensor!
10-31-2011, 03:37 PM   #42
Pentaxian

There is a huge market gap for a high build quality, small ILC.

With a miniscule sensor...

... Oh, wait...
10-31-2011, 05:04 PM   #43
Veteran Member

If I had to make my observation of what the largest gap in the market right is, I'd say its the gap between DSLRs and social media. What's the biggest photo destination in the world? Facebook. I know there are countless times for me, and others I know, where I have my DSLR and my iphone with me, and I use my iPhone, since its a one click upload to Facebook. I think the biggest gap is the lack of any truly wifi/3G enabled cameras. That would sell like crack to the masses. Shoot your kid playing soccer with a great camera, and upload straight to facebook. The options are limitless. Wifi tethering. Uploading images as you shoot a sporting event. I don't know how hard that would be, I assume the camera would need an OS, and then app support. But even just having built in wifi transmission, and the ability to set up a closed network between camera and smartphone or computer. Just to be able to shoot an image with a DSLR that goes straight to my phone, which I could then upload to facebook or anywhere else, would be revolutionary. Otherwise, my options are to use iPhone for the photo, or use a DSLR, wait till I get home, download the image, process, export and post to facebook. I'll use the iPhone thanks...

Last edited by FullertonImages; 10-31-2011 at 05:37 PM.
10-31-2011, 05:18 PM   #44
Pentaxian

I think the biggest gap is the lack of any truly wifi/3G enabled cameras. That would sell like crack to the masses. Shoot your kid playing soccer with a great camera, and upload straight to facebook. The options are limitless. Wifi tethering. Uploading images as you shoot a sporting event. I don't know how hard that would be, I assume the camera would need an OS, and then app support. But even just having built in wifi transmission, and the ability to set up a close network between camera and smartphone or computer. Just be able to shoot I'm image with a DSLR that goes straight to my phone, which i could then upload to facebook or anywhere else, would be revolutionary. Other, my options are use iPhone for the photo, or use DSLR, wait till I get home, download image, process, export and post to facebook. I'll use the iPhone thanks...
+1 on this.

I said it somewhere earlier on this forum.

Maybe our future is in the cloud! And maybe that is where Ricoh is seeing the oppertunity too ad value.
10-31-2011, 07:28 PM   #45
Veteran Member

I think the biggest gap is the lack of any truly wifi/3G enabled cameras. That would sell like crack to the masses. Shoot your kid playing soccer with a great camera, and upload straight to facebook. The options are limitless. Wifi tethering. Uploading images as you shoot...
Which means that you can't be forced to delete images from your card by 'security' personnel. And once you snap+send a picture, you no longer control it -- it's "in the wild". And unanticipated consequences and much fun will ensure. Bet on it.