Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-08-2011, 07:07 PM   #91

QuoteOriginally posted by maxfield_photo Quote
That is about to change very shortly, this new Kodak sensor is going to make everything else seem like it was taken on a Holga. Mark my words, when DxO reviews it, every pixel-peeper on the internet will want one. The question is will they be willing to give up video and live view to do it? The answer in many cases will be 'no', and that's the shame of it. I hope Pentax will release a FF that puts IQ above all the frills like they did with the 645D.
IQ freaks like Sigma X3 don't sell well, but it's good to have that on the shelf.

Last edited by jackseh; 11-08-2011 at 07:23 PM.
11-09-2011, 11:19 AM   #92
Veteran Member

That is about to change very shortly, this new Kodak sensor is going to make everything else seem like it was taken on a Holga. Mark my words, when DxO reviews it, every pixel-peeper on the internet will want one. The question is will they be willing to give up video and live view to do it? The answer in many cases will be 'no', and that's the shame of it. I hope Pentax will release a FF that puts IQ above all the frills like they did with the 645D.
How about stealing a few tricks for Ricoh, and have an interchangeable sensor, but keep the lens mount so you can still change lenses.
If they offer a camera that was an improved K-5, with the K-5 sensor, but optimized for video, but still pretty damn amazing at stills, and with a Kodak 16mp FF or aps-h that was optimized for unbelievable stills, I'd be all over that. They could even have a purely video sensor that was purely 1080x1920 or 4K and have way better results than downsampling a 16mp sensor. Make it still a K-mount, or even a PL mount for the video freaks. Options are limitless, and I think people would really want this system.
11-09-2011, 11:37 AM   #93
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by FullertonImages Quote
How about stealing a few tricks for Ricoh, and have an interchangeable sensor, but keep the lens mount so you can still change lenses.
Changing sensors like we used to change film...interesting...
11-09-2011, 11:41 AM   #94
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by johnmflores Quote
Changing sensors like we used to change film...interesting...
E-Film a long awaited tech , too bad this was an April fools joke

RE-35 | Digital cartridges for analog 35-mm cameras

11-09-2011, 01:08 PM   #95
Veteran Member

Mountors are the realistic way to implement digital film. Keep the support and control infrastructure on the body; keep the sensor and lens-support tools (AF, SR, etc) on the mountor; swap bodies, mountors, lenses as desired. Just like selecting the ZX-M or the K1000, with Pan-X or K-chrome, with the K50/1.2 or M135/3.5. It's traditional.
11-09-2011, 01:14 PM   #96
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
Mountors are the realistic way to implement digital film. Keep the support and control infrastructure on the body; keep the sensor and lens-support tools (AF, SR, etc) on the mountor; swap bodies, mountors, lenses as desired. Just like selecting the ZX-M or the K1000, with Pan-X or K-chrome, with the K50/1.2 or M135/3.5. It's traditional.
I agree, and if Ricoh actually sold the GXR (or for that matter any camera) in Canada I'd be lined up based on what i see from the GXR thread. Ideal travel camera IMO. lots of cheap lenses that are excellent available from Russia in LTM m39 mount easy to convert to M mount. I'd live to try my 35 2.8 biogon knockoff on digital it's stellar on film
11-09-2011, 04:31 PM   #97
Loyal Site Supporter

We keep hearing rumors about the new sensors, but they are getting very little attention in the news. When Kodak and Olympus were working together on the 4/3 sensor Kodak was confident that CCD technology was going to advance fast enough for 4/3 to be competitive with larger CMOS sensors. Kodak was wrong, but they have continued to invest in CCD.

The more competition in the market the better. I hope Sony, Samsung, Canon, & Kodak all start making really awesome sensors for us to chose from.
11-09-2011, 05:39 PM   #98
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
I agree, and if Ricoh actually sold the GXR (or for that matter any camera) in Canada I'd be lined up based on what i see from the GXR thread. Ideal travel camera IMO. lots of cheap lenses that are excellent available from Russia in LTM m39 mount easy to convert to M mount. I'd live to try my 35 2.8 biogon knockoff on digital it's stellar on film
The problem with the GXR, is that for God knows why, they decided to marry the sensor the the lenses. Just because I want to change sensor, doen't mean I now only want a prime lens, instead of my zoom.

11-09-2011, 05:39 PM   #99
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
The more competition in the market the better. I hope Sony, Samsung, Canon, & Kodak all start making really awesome sensors for us to chose from.
Kodak just sold their sensor division. There will be no more Kodak sensors.
11-09-2011, 05:45 PM   #100
Veteran Member

It's traditional and it would be amazing. To be able to switch between the look and benefits of a CCD or a CMOS, or a 12mp sensor optimized for amazing lowlight, to a 18mp sensor when you need bigger files, or switch to a 2mp video optimized for video. While still using a single body, and being able to use all K-mount lenses. The options this would create are amazing. Ever being able to make combination sensor adapters that would say mate to a K-5, but have a different mount.
11-09-2011, 05:49 PM   #101
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by FullertonImages Quote
The problem with the GXR, is that for God knows why, they decided to marry the sensor the the lenses. Just because I want to change sensor, doen't mean I now only want a prime lens, instead of my zoom.
there is a good argument for this (no dust, sensor and lens matched....)but with the release of the M module they are obviously willing to have a mountor as Rico calls them, So why no a K or Kaf mountor, an FD mountor (there's an abandoned mount with tons of lenses out there), or an eos or nikon ai Mountor?
a 645 mountor for that matter. it's not really limited and it opens up all sorts of options. The M mount filled a gap not being well served since not all Leica shooters could afford an m8 or m9.
11-09-2011, 06:12 PM   #102
Loyal Site Supporter

I am aware of that. The name will change, but the product is still going to be made and sold. They may continue to use the Kodak name under license.
11-09-2011, 06:13 PM   #103
Veteran Member

They announced the KAI-16070 and 16050 the day after selling the sensor division, I guess to let folks know they're still going to be producing them. Apparently Kodak will still get them from Platinum Equity at cost, and everyone else will now go through the middle man, but it will still be a Kodak sensor just like it's still a Pentax under Hoya or Ricoh.
11-09-2011, 10:16 PM   #104
ogl
Pentaxian

Wrong. Read this more carefully
http://www.dpreview.com/news/1111/11110805kodaknews.asp

They just sold 1100 patents and 263,000 square foot facility in Eastman Business Park.

Platinum Equity will be engaged in financial subjects with Kodak sensors. To say simply -
Platinum Equity is just new managger, new boss of Kodak sensor division.
Kodak can use this sensors in any products. Kodak just announced new KODAK sensors, not Platinum.
It's not clear if Kodak's sensor personnel would work for Platinum Equity or they stay as Kodak's personnel.
But I think it will be like Pentax under HOYA. Kodak's staff will be Kodak's staff.

No any info about sum of deal.

Last edited by ogl; 11-09-2011 at 10:25 PM.
11-10-2011, 07:37 PM   #105
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
Wrong. Read this more carefully
Kodak sells Image Sensor Solutions business: Digital Photography Review

They just sold 1100 patents and 263,000 square foot facility in Eastman Business Park.

Platinum Equity will be engaged in financial subjects with Kodak sensors. To say simply -
Platinum Equity is just new managger, new boss of Kodak sensor division.
Kodak can use this sensors in any products. Kodak just announced new KODAK sensors, not Platinum.
It's not clear if Kodak's sensor personnel would work for Platinum Equity or they stay as Kodak's personnel.
But I think it will be like Pentax under HOYA. Kodak's staff will be Kodak's staff.

No any info about sum of deal.
The deal appears to try and satisfy new investment scenarios, because no one trusts the current Kodak management team given their abysmal track record leveraging patents and technology into marketable products. This prevent new money coming into sensor development going to questionable parts of Kodak's other operations.