Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-31-2011, 08:22 PM   #46

Photos: Albums
Full frame is out of the question. The average person wants the picture quality of a ff, but probably can't afford to build such a system.

The current trend/gap is rangefinder style bodies with built-in view finders. M43 is trying hard to fill that gap, but just can't reach APS-C image quality with it's sensor, nor can it produce a product that the enthusiast can get excited about. NEX-7 is knocking at the door, but the sony lens lineup is sad to say the least. Enter Ricoh/PENTAX with a K-Mount APS-C rangefinder with K5 DR and speed and it will own that market! How about a "limited" body to go with the wonderful limited lenses .. I want!!

10-31-2011, 10:37 PM   #47
Oog
Forum Member

Please excuse me if this has been posted before (and does this kinda dash my hopes for FF?) but this link points to an article (written Sept. 17) that states the "gap" Ricoh is trying to fill is another mirrorless camera, with a sensor larger than that in the Q. The article acknowledges the release of the Q prior to Ricoh buying Pentax:

EXCLUSIVE: Ricoh to Beef Up Digital Camera Biz [Jiji Press English News Service]

Was this at all missed (post #1 links to an online magazine from the UK)?
10-31-2011, 10:55 PM   #48
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Oog Quote
Please excuse me if this has been posted before (and does this kinda dash my hopes for FF?) but this link points to an article (written Sept. 17) that states the "gap" Ricoh is trying to fill is another mirrorless camera, with a sensor larger than that in the Q. The article acknowledges the release of the Q prior to Ricoh buying Pentax:

EXCLUSIVE: Ricoh to Beef Up Digital Camera Biz [Jiji Press English News Service]

I did post this about 3 weeks ago: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-news-rumors/159325-exclusive-ricoh...amera-biz.html

I don't think that any of us (certainly not I!!) noticed the "market gap" aspect. Thanks for seeing that and relating it here. Rather a letdown though, isn't it? No FF, no GXR-PK mountor, no holography, no UFO invasions. I'm like sooooo bummed...
10-31-2011, 10:58 PM   #49
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery

Nice catch.
I eagerly await the new MILC from Pentax

11-01-2011, 05:31 AM   #50
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
no reason that MILC can't be a GXR K Mount module (even branded under the Pentax name an cross compatible with the Ricoh product)
Fro that matter it could also be FF filling a gap in the MILC market
11-01-2011, 05:39 AM   #51
Veteran Member

I think a nice idea would be a interchangeable sensor camera, like the GXR, between APS-C and one with a higher CROP FACTOR, both using PENTAX K mount
Image that?
With the same camera you would get a great image quality and also a SUPER ZOOM by changing the sensor to one with the Crop Factor.
11-01-2011, 06:52 AM   #52

As long as it is K-mount, I'm interested in more details on this one... we'll just have to wait...

11-01-2011, 08:48 AM   #53
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by FullertonImages Quote
If I had to make my observation of what the largest gap in the market right is, I'd say its the gap between DSLRs and social media. What's the biggest photo destination in the world? Facebook. I know there are countless times for me, and others I know, where I have my DSLR and my iphone with me, and I use my iPhone, since its a one click upload to Facebook. I think the biggest gap is the lack of any truly wifi/3G enabled cameras. That would sell like crack to the masses. Shoot your kid playing soccer with a great camera, and upload straight to facebook. The options are limitless. Wifi tethering. Uploading images as you shoot a sporting event. I don't know how hard that would be, I assume the camera would need an OS, and then app support. But even just having built in wifi transmission, and the ability to set up a closed network between camera and smartphone or computer. Just to be able to shoot an image with a DSLR that goes straight to my phone, which I could then upload to facebook or anywhere else, would be revolutionary. Otherwise, my options are to use iPhone for the photo, or use a DSLR, wait till I get home, download the image, process, export and post to facebook. I'll use the iPhone thanks...
Very true, although I wonder if an Eye-fi card and an iPhone/iPad get use close to that. FWIW, I just took the iPad with the SD card reader into the field for a camping trip. The iPad worked great, importing both RAW and JPGs from my K-5 and Panny GH2. From there I easily posted to FB, Flickr, etc...

QuoteOriginally posted by pinholecam Quote
Nice catch.
I eagerly await the new MILC from Pentax
A blast from the past:

11-01-2011, 08:50 AM   #54
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Ben E Quote
As long as it is K-mount, I'm interested in more details on this one... we'll just have to wait...
K-mount mirrorless would probably be DOA, although we've discussed some possible designs here.

What I hope for, is a new shallow mount and a screw-drive AF K-mount adapter to go with it.

Edit: i.e. something like the illustration in the above post

Last edited by gazonk; 11-01-2011 at 09:21 AM.
11-01-2011, 09:40 AM   #55
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I want a cheap digital 4x5 (no crop) back
11-01-2011, 09:43 AM   #56
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
I want a cheap digital 4x5 (no crop) back
lmao good luck with that
you can always Commission one (not cheap of course)

This Custom-Made 8x10 Digital Back Costs "As Much As a Good-Sized House" | Popular Photography

one with enough Resolution to equal film will cost more this is just a proofing system to save on film cost
11-01-2011, 10:10 AM   #57
Veteran Member

Looks like Ricoh has decided to take a series look the APS-C Mirrorless camera that Pentax was going to release latter this year (if rumors were correct). Now are they just going to do a few minor changes and then release the camera early next year or is it going back and be totally redone. We might never now what the differences are between the Hoya version and the Ricoh version.

Still I would love to see a APS-C MILC using the K-mount. It will have onsensor PDAF so the current lenses can focus just as fast as they currently can. It will have a K-5 size battery for long battery life. It will use the extra space of the K-mount register distance for two Olympus OM style control dials around the lens mount. Then the two normal space control dials to give you four programable control wheels. The default could be f-stop and shutter speed for the two around the lens mount then the two normal lacated dials could be iso and EV. A more retro-style camera and not a me-too thing MILC camera like everyone else is coming out with.

Dave
11-01-2011, 12:49 PM   #58
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Asahiflex Quote
But it would sell even less than a Pentax FF. I think there's a valid reason that the truly excellent Nikonos RS does not exist anymore.
Sure, it is price.

But the Nikonos V was not so expensive, and a mirror less would be in that vein. And, while a FF Pentax would be interesting only to a small niche of a niche (i.e. pentaxians with old, great * lenses), a new mirror less underwater system would be interesting for scuba divers of the world, being them pentaxians, canonites or nikonists. Especially if Ricoh would use standard accessories plug like the nikonos flashes.
11-01-2011, 01:00 PM   #59
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by eurostar Quote
Sure, it is price.

But the Nikonos V was not so expensive, and a mirror less would be in that vein. And, while a FF Pentax would be interesting only to a small niche of a niche (i.e. pentaxians with old, great * lenses), a new mirror less underwater system would be interesting for scuba divers of the world, being them pentaxians, canonites or nikonists. Especially if Ricoh would use standard accessories plug like the nikonos flashes.
this is the most under served market at the moment i can't think of anything standout for it. it doesn't even need a full lens line just UWA, WA, Normal for the most part
Sea and Ski compatible would also be a good move
11-01-2011, 02:21 PM   #60
Banned

Ricoh i700

Funny, I was looking around for some old stuff and came across this one. Ricoh i700 (did Apple find it's i at Ricoh?).

Yes that is a touchscreen!

So it's a camera with 2048x1536 pixels and a webfunction to send your pictures directly to your newspaper agent (I don't think that someone ever heard of facebook at the time).
Ricoh RDC-i700 Update: Digital Photography Review

This doesn't excist anymore. Combined with an advanced image developement software in the camera you can do anything you want.

Last edited by RonHendriks1966; 11-01-2011 at 03:13 PM.