Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-15-2007, 03:37 AM   #16
ogl
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I think that K20D will surprise us in all directions...It won't carry common CMOS sensor. But special one.

12-15-2007, 03:59 AM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by benjikan Quote

Don't want to be vague, but this is the best I can do for now.

Ben
QuoteOriginally posted by codiac2600 Quote

It's blows my socks off and I shoot more than just models in the studio if that means anything...

Well, obviously more can be said, so the degree of vagueness is more than necessary - for whatever reason.

One of the actually helpful beta-testers already let us know that the jpg files are less compressed than the K10D at 7-9mb which is great

With the early firmware the high ISO files appear to be less noisy (I guess not as gobsmackingly amazing as people seem to think the D300 is - but its way to early to know the final firmware)

We can't know all the beta testers, but the few we already know of are substantially in the camp of "I only shoot RAW", so really aren't as good judges of jpg quality. There's hopefully a few beta testers that have gone beyond that snottiness, and need very high quality jpg's out of the camera, so they can tell Pentax solid suggestions on what can make the K20D jpg's even better (if necessary).

We also already know that there will be more jpg adjustments in the K20D. According to the googly-eyed Ken Rockwell, the D300 jpg saturation is able to be adjusted to far more "intense" levels than the D200 without blowing out channels. Hopefully K20D jpg technology is advancing as well. Pentax absolutely needs jpg-partial beta testers.

It also seems that the dynamic curves adjustment they employ in that camera that detects when highlights will blow out, and tames them along with bringing up the shadows - is, in practice, a really usable feature as opposed to yet another marketing gimmick DSLR's are prone to. It was a bad gimmick in the D80, but actually works in the D300.

I'm sure Pentax is keeping an eye on their competition, and carefully seeing what stands out as really useful, while hopefully ignoring the competitions dumber ideas.

Last edited by mutley; 12-15-2007 at 04:07 AM.
12-15-2007, 05:36 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
You have noted some important points. But there are other user specific features that will "Thrill" all of you who have had issues with the present configuration. The amount of user specific control has been enhanced. These new features will allow you to control your camera based on your personal specific needs...Nuf Said.

Ben

12-15-2007, 06:17 AM   #19
ogl
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K20D will use technology like this
Search Result

This CMOS semiconductor device is equipped with a dual work function metal gate structure that has been formed using a process technology capable of adjusting the work function of a PMOS device and that of a NMOS device independently. As a result, it is possible to significantly reduce or remove an unfavorable influence on the reliability of a gate insulating film.

IMO

12-15-2007, 06:32 AM   #20
Inactive Account

Hey Ben:

I like to shoot HDR panoramas with my K10D. Now if you use manual mode and bracket 3 or 5 shots both the shutter speed and f-stop vary. I want only the shutter speed to vary in manual mode as this is what the stitching programs want to see.

Smile if the K20D will allow me to do this.
12-15-2007, 06:43 AM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Tripodman Quote
I like to shoot HDR panoramas with my K10D. Now if you use manual mode and bracket 3 or 5 shots both the shutter speed and f-stop vary. I want only the shutter speed to vary in manual mode as this is what the stitching programs want to see.
What happens if you set the green button to set only shutter in manual mode? (done in the Custom menu). I don't know if it affects the bracketing, but it is worth a try!
12-15-2007, 06:58 AM   #22
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Hey Ben:

You know I can't answer that question...

12-15-2007, 07:22 AM   #23
Veteran Member

It's all so clear now...

"This CMOS semiconductor device is equipped with a dual work function metal gate structure that has been formed using a process technology capable of adjusting the work function of a PMOS device and that of a NMOS device independently. As a result, it is possible to significantly reduce or remove an unfavorable influence on the reliability of a gate insulating film."

I think I'm glad that I have no clue what any of this means. I just want a camera that will let me take lots of pretty pictures...
12-15-2007, 08:53 AM   #24

Hey Ben:

When I use manual mode, front dial is shutter speed, rear dial is aperture, each independent. I do not understand this question. Changing front dial in increments does not change the aperture setting unless you touch the green button.
12-15-2007, 09:30 AM   #25
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Photomy Quote
When I use manual mode, front dial is shutter speed, rear dial is aperture, each independent. I do not understand this question. Changing front dial in increments does not change the aperture setting unless you touch the green button.
I want to use auto bracketing for speed since lighting conditions can change fast I know I can use the dials to change shutter speed but this is very time consumimg when the light is changing fast.
12-15-2007, 10:07 PM   #26

Ben

I cut and pasted your emoticons and using photoshop I constructed a HDR image using them in layers with certain blend modes to reveal your true answer to tripodman's question.

Also, I am interested in the aspect ratio of the sensor especially for printing!!!!!!!!!

All the hype is saying 14mp, I have heard other grumbles of slightly higher mp!!!!!

I have already booked an order with my local Pentax guy, actually he has 5 people waiting to put money down NOW to pre-order.
12-15-2007, 11:58 PM   #27

I would hope that the support for older lenses inproves. I am a "manual" type of guy and have several older Pentax lenses that offer stellar results plus a Voigtlander 180 f4. I finally had to buy a Katz-eye screen so they would meter properly. Other than that the K10D interface is almost all I would expect.
12-16-2007, 12:25 AM   #28
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by bobrapp Quote
I would hope that the support for older lenses inproves. I am a "manual" type of guy and have several older Pentax lenses that offer stellar results plus a Voigtlander 180 f4. I finally had to buy a Katz-eye screen so they would meter properly. Other than that the K10D interface is almost all I would expect.
I'll bet you that is one thing that doesn't happen. Pentax has endured flak for 10 years now for abandoning early k mount lenses with their 'crippled' mount. I don't see them backing down now. IT wouldn't shock me to see a body soon that was seriously crippled with an 'A' series lens. After all these lenses lack the extra communications found in the F and FA so the camera body is unable to know what kind of a lens is attached. this lack of information could degrade advances in some features such as shake reduction.....
12-16-2007, 03:34 AM   #29
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rvannatta Quote
IT wouldn't shock me to see a body soon that was seriously crippled with an 'A' series lens.
The bodies should always support screw drive AF, and A mount lenses.

Its the lenses that can stand to lose the screw drive, because it is hindering affordable progress and fast operation of upcoming lenses. They have to use cheap, slow micro motors, and charge top dollar for SDM with no faster focusing, but cannot use faster, more efficient ring motors because they have to stuff in all those clunky gears every time.
12-16-2007, 03:45 AM   #30
Veteran Member

39 days.......