Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-17-2007, 02:23 AM   #46
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
I just wait and see what Pentax will bring.
I hope you all get what you want for Christmas. I just want a usable printer that matches the latest advances in cameras and computer. But on the other hand I would love to see Pentax release a 16mp DSLR for under 2 grand, with a true 35mm sensor.

12-17-2007, 03:22 AM   #47
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Arpe Quote
But after comparing the focus speed of a MZ-10 to my istDS, focussing speeds since the 90s have obviously slowed down considerably.
*ist DS is battery sensitive, you need to use CR-V3 to really use the *ist DS to it's full potential. Yes, it is clearly faster and more responsive with CR-V3 batteries instead of AA's.

Another factor is that multi-point cross-sensors is a much bigger workload for the AF processor than the linear-only AF in the older bodies. Linear AF is also more light sensitive, the cross-sensors eats up some of the light. This means that low-level AF is easier and speedier with linear-only sensors.
12-17-2007, 03:27 AM   #48
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mutley Quote
As its been established that we don't know the levels of tweakability available to firmware engineers for the Nucore front ends, and Fujitsu backend - hopefully there isn't none, so the K10D will still be in for some further improvements along these lines after they perfect the K20D firmware.
In the Fujitsu's material for their image processors, they write about their image processors having built-in noise reduction - but it is not mentioned anywhere if this is a tweakable option. I don't know how close the PRIME is to Fujitsu's original image processors, but I strongly suspect that the PRIME used in the K10D has built-in un-tweakable noise-reduction. And if it is so, then Pentax couldn't add noise reduction for chroma only or having user-tweakable noise reduction because the image processor does not allow for it.

The new camera from Pentax also uses PRIME, but I don't think it is exactly the same PRIME as in the K10D. I think it is a newer version offering more options.
12-17-2007, 06:18 AM   #49
Not Registered

Considering Ben's type of work, it sound to me that the new camera/s will have quite a bit of improvement in the flash versatility.

12-17-2007, 06:23 AM   #50
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Gruoso Quote
Considering Ben's type of work, it sound to me that the new camera/s will have quite a bit of improvement in the flash versatility.

I never use the on camera Flash..But you are partially correct...
12-17-2007, 06:26 AM   #51
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mutley Quote
I think Ben is pointing out something else, but yes, this is true, and it is a stupid factor of camera reviews.

But, it is just part of the K10D jpg stigma. Sharpness choices of textural ONLY, and no edge when needed, and excessively commented upon is just not producing the results asked for every time. - So... Bright, or Natural, Pentax has decided for us which sharpening is "preferrable", and many (evidently) just don't agree in actual practicality.

Textural sharpening for "filmlike quality" shouldn't be forced on users, but should be included as an added feature which other cameras don't have - along with edge sharpening options (controllable to levels not producing annoying halos, of course) which, then, would eliminate all the jpg sharpness negativity.

Also, the K10D eliminates any choice of NR. The theory is good, so for in-camera processing it MUST be able to be completely turned off for those wanting to post process. But for those needing in-camera processing, even simple control choices for chroma noise leaving luminance noise so details are not smeared - would be a help.

This, along with a higher, less compressed jpg (like they seem to have realized for the K20D - so this comment isn't simple to just dismiss with fanaticism) - would only add to a sense that Pentax considers their in-camera JPG processing very important. (Not a camera just catering to the "Why get a DSLR, and not only shoot RAW?" types)

So, constantly harping on setting the camera to Bright with a bit of adjustment and ALL in-camera jpg conversion accuracy/quality issues are GONE - is just not the case.

This extra adjustability I have posted would be great for the K10D sounds like what Pentax has decided to include for the K20D (or K14D), from what I think Ben is saying. This is great news for buyers of that camera, and seems to have forced itself to Pentax's ears above all the loud posts shutting me up everytime I (and others) have posted about the need for these based on whats doable in-camera to salvage K10D jpg's to top competitive level (not just "good enough").

Great for Pentax to hear this and notice its reality and importance amongst the few loud negations.

As its been established that we don't know the levels of tweakability available to firmware engineers for the Nucore front ends, and Fujitsu backend - hopefully there isn't none, so the K10D will still be in for some further improvements along these lines after they perfect the K20D firmware.
"Greater Adjustability"...Yes definitely!

Ben
12-17-2007, 12:49 PM   #52
JMS

Does it have PC sync?

12-17-2007, 12:59 PM   #53
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by JMS Quote
Does it have PC sync?
This has almost been confirmed as well as it could (not being official).

Happy?
12-17-2007, 01:07 PM   #54
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Does it have PC sync?
Ummm..Cannot answer directly. But may I ask? Would it be considered more Pro?

Ben
12-17-2007, 01:31 PM   #55
Veteran Member

Does it have PC sync?
Mac sync?
12-17-2007, 04:52 PM   #56
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RMabo Quote
This clearly shows that it isn't so much the autofocus technique in itself, as the AF algorithms and processing used.

It is easy to assume that rint motors are the fastest and best solutions, but in real life tests - it all comes down to the AF processing in the camera and not the technology in the lens.
OK, so the K10D already has the robust hardware which "isn't so much" the issue anyway, and processing power in the K10D wouldn't be less than Canon put in their 30D or 400D, etc., so you are putting a lot of weight into the K10D AF algorithm.

So...after the K20D firmware is perfected...hopefully Hoya pulled together some better engineers who can write a much more efficient, feature packed, and better firmware update for speeding up the K10D autofocus.

On person "in the know" has already said this might be possible.
12-17-2007, 06:24 PM   #57
Veteran Member

Personally? Something would be great just like you're saying, with some real X factor. Something that will get more and more people into the Pentax line.

Not some novelty, like it can light fireworks fuses or it glows in the dark, something really great.

I won't be able to afford it no matter how great it is, so I want something that will be great for Pentax and it's users that can and potential Pentax users that can.

What is that x factor? I'm not sure, if I knew I could work for one of these companies!
12-17-2007, 06:58 PM   #58
JMS

QuoteOriginally posted by Buschmaster Quote
Personally? Something would be great just like you're saying, with some real X factor. Something that will get more and more people into the Pentax line.

Not some novelty, like it can light fireworks fuses or it glows in the dark, something really great.

I won't be able to afford it no matter how great it is, so I want something that will be great for Pentax and it's users that can and potential Pentax users that can.

What is that x factor? I'm not sure, if I knew I could work for one of these companies!
I am sure there will be an "X" factor- one that will be awesome. Remember, this is the company that first brought autofocus and full autoexposure to SLRs.
12-17-2007, 09:56 PM   #59
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Let's all keep our heads here!

While the new Pentax cameras will offer new and improved features over the current K10D and K100D Super, some of the speculation I'm seeing here is way off in the deep end of the pool and some of the speculators will have their hopes dashed. We need to avoid building up unrealistic hopes or we'll be treated to a lot of unhappy posts about how the new bodies don't do this or that or the other... none of which was ever promised by Pentax in the first place.

From what I've seen (and I've seen some non-public info) they will be excellent offerings in keeping with Pentax's long tradition of innovation coupled with "more bang for the buck." But they won't put cameras costing 2x as much in the dumper - they will be very nice cameras for the advanced amateur, and more than competitive at their price point.
12-17-2007, 10:14 PM   #60
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jamesk8752 Quote
While the new Pentax cameras will offer new and improved features over the current K10D and K100D Super, some of the speculation I'm seeing here is way off in the deep end of the pool and some of the speculators will have their hopes dashed. We need to avoid building up unrealistic hopes or we'll be treated to a lot of unhappy posts about how the new bodies don't do this or that or the other... none of which was ever promised by Pentax in the first place.

From what I've seen (and I've seen some non-public info) they will be excellent offerings in keeping with Pentax's long tradition of innovation coupled with "more bang for the buck." But they won't put cameras costing 2x as much in the dumper - they will be very nice cameras for the advanced amateur, and more than competitive at their price point.
I do see the things that can lead you to bring this up, but the technological advances that the new camera will bring are competitive with the price point. I don't think anyone has said it's going to be the 1DsMKIII killer, but what the people have brought up is that it will have many more of those small wants fulfilled with a few extras.

I've seen plenty of non-public info myself and it's jaw dropping to me, coming from a salesman standpoint as well as a photographer of my caliber. It's going to be a hot cake if everything implemented goes as planned, but there is still plenty of time to get that all in order.