Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-14-2007, 06:30 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The New Pentax Camera...'s

What are the expectations for the new Pentax cameras for the end of January? Will it live up to, or exceed our expectations. Well personally, I think they will and in bucket-loads. But then again, my criteria is quite specific to my work flow. I believe that what they will release will be a precedent setter, just as the K10D set the barometer higher than all of the competing brands in that category. In fact the K10D seemed to want to play ball in the Big Leagues and came out looking pretty damned good.

Don't want to be vague, but this is the best I can do for now. All I can say, is as a professional, what will be on offer will more than suffice.

Ben

12-14-2007, 06:36 PM   #2
and
Veteran Member

But then again you are happy with your k10d so if we take that into consideration then that tells us nothing than the fact that the new body will be no worse than the k10d. Unless we knew what areas you would like to see the k10d improved in...
12-14-2007, 06:41 PM   #3
Veteran Member

I am waiting and saving money with bated breath. Have stopped all my photographic related purchases until the announcement next year.

Seriously, the K10D is so much camera for so little money that Canikon, Sony and Oly diehards here in Singapore are in complete denial about it.
12-14-2007, 06:42 PM   #4

Autofocus: improved low light speed with less "hunting," especially with screw-drive lenses; better action tracking.

ISO: 3200 that looks as good as current k10d 800.

Processing: chromatic aberration correction! (ala D300) Many of Pentax's lenses suffer from this problem.

I'm not too worried- the k10d really did set the bar in late 2006 and is still a fantastic camera. I have no reason to think Pentax's next effort won't raise eyebrows, especially with the new Hoya backing.

12-14-2007, 07:10 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by and Quote
But then again you are happy with your k10d so if we take that into consideration then that tells us nothing than the fact that the new body will be no worse than the k10d. Unless we knew what areas you would like to see the k10d improved in...
BETTER.....
12-14-2007, 07:18 PM   #6
Veteran Member

T + 41 days and no major leaks

It amazes me there have been no major leaks yet. The small amount of information we have is a testament to the loyalty Pentax has received from their beta testers. I think it also says a lot about the way Pentax treats the the people they have elected to associate themselves with and the character of those people.

It certainly seems Pentax is on the verge of making a major step forward. If the assumptions I am making by reading between the lines are correct I'm probably going to be an early adapter. I'm still hoping there will be more leaks soon.

Ken

Last edited by regken; 12-14-2007 at 07:23 PM.
12-14-2007, 07:34 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Did anyone catch how he said "The New Pentax Camera...'s" as in PLURAL!

Cheeky Monkey...

12-14-2007, 07:38 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Buddha Jones Quote
Did anyone catch how he said "The New Pentax Camera...'s" as in PLURAL!

Cheeky Monkey...

b e n
12-14-2007, 07:39 PM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by regken Quote
It amazes me there have been no major leaks yet. The small amount of information we have is a testament to the loyalty Pentax has received from their beta testers. I think it also says a lot about the way Pentax treats the the people they have elected to associate themselves with and the character of those people.

It certainly seems Pentax is on the verge of making a major step forward. If the assumptions I am making by reading between the lines are correct I'm probably going to be an early adapter. I'm still hoping there will be more leaks soon.

Ken
well they don't need a bunch of leaks. that can be extremely destructive of business plans.

It helps the competion prepare to meet the challenge, and can destroy the sales of the present product in eager anticipation.

if we wish Pentax to be successful, we can collectively hope that leaks are few. IT is probably unfortunate that even the date of the announcement got out.

It's not rocket science to surmise that the new product will be better than the existing product, because producing it would be pointless if it wasn't.
12-14-2007, 08:15 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Hmmm, let me see. Well seeing as the only competition for the new camera will be the A500 from Sony, the 5D MKII a revamped XTi that will be more of a cosmetic change with DIGIC III I believe the K20D will be spectacular.

After seeing some things and looking some things up I've put a big chunk of my paycheck towards my K20D fund and I'm only $400 short so I may have to spring for a second body because it's gonna be like totally neat.

It's blows my socks off and I shoot more than just models in the studio if that means anything...
12-14-2007, 08:56 PM   #11
Inactive Account

I still say that much of the community will whine and moan that it isn't as good as they expected - especially when the specs are published but aren't in people hands yet. Happens every time - hype builds and builds, people build up this super product in their head that no company can actually match, then everybody is disappointed.

I'm sure it'll be a great camera - but its not going to solve world hunger.
12-14-2007, 08:59 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ccallana Quote
I'm sure it'll be a great camera - but its not going to solve world hunger.
True, its a bit chewey
12-14-2007, 10:31 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by codiac2600 Quote
After seeing some things and looking some things up I've put a big chunk of my paycheck towards my K20D fund and I'm only $400 short...
What's the sale price going to be, roughly?
12-15-2007, 01:27 AM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by codiac2600 Quote
Hmmm, let me see. Well seeing as the only competition for the new camera will be the A500 from Sony, the 5D MKII a revamped XTi that will be more of a cosmetic change with DIGIC III I believe the K20D will be spectacular.

After seeing some things and looking some things up I've put a big chunk of my paycheck towards my K20D fund and I'm only $400 short so I may have to spring for a second body because it's gonna be like totally neat.

It's blows my socks off and I shoot more than just models in the studio if that means anything...
hmmm... now that is encouraging.

Say i was shooting motorsport, would i be much better off with the new one over the k10?
12-15-2007, 03:09 AM   #15
Veteran Member

I think that it would be something if the K20D were announced on Jan 24th and were ready to be shipped to retailers in quantity. That would be something, but highly unlikely...