Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-21-2006, 12:51 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I don't think anyone here is upset. I think it is a pretty interesting proposition.

12-21-2006, 01:42 PM   #17
Veteran Member

I was pretty emotionally disturbed. Since everyone is having a different perspective on this news, I am looking on the bright side...

p.s I received my credit card statement yesterday and it was not a good sight. :P

12-21-2006, 02:16 PM   #18

QuoteOriginally posted by roentarre Quote
I was pretty emotionally disturbed. Since everyone is having a different perspective on this news, I am looking on the bright side...

p.s I received my credit card statement yesterday and it was not a good sight. :P

I'm *ALWAYS* emotionally disturbed ;D

I have to worry about my disappearing motivation to photograph anything before worrying about where my next upgrade is coming from. heh.
12-21-2006, 02:30 PM   #19
Veteran Member

We'll see I guess....

This is probably better than a merger with Samsung would have been.. And may very well have been a defence against a Samsung buy-out...

time will tell..

12-21-2006, 05:53 PM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by roentarre Quote

LOL. Mine hasn't been very pretty for a while.
12-21-2006, 06:08 PM   #21
Veteran Member

I see this whole merger as a good thing. It doesn't matter if the owner of the Pentax brand is called Hoya, Asahi Optical or whatever. The Pentax brand is so well recognized and has too much off a good ring to it, nobody in the right mind would want to shut it down. More money for research, development and marketing with a strong financial backing. In 2 years they are going to kick Nikon's and Canon's butt. K Mount forever!
12-21-2006, 06:27 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Talked to our rep today.. they aren't worried.. It was done mainly to grow the medical section.. The camera section is still going to be there as 'Pentax'..

They have invested A LOT of money in DSLR R&D and its not going to stop... Low end P&S will be cut back though..
12-21-2006, 06:56 PM   #23
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pooling talent and resources, more money for R&D, exchanging ideas and manufacturing expertise, sounds like a win win for the consumers.
heck, if it gives us better quality and possibly lower prices, then I am all for it.
I believe in order to survive in today's world, if a company sits still it will either die or be eaten by a much larger company, possibly a company that wouldn't give pentax any say in things.

randy

12-21-2006, 07:10 PM   #24
Veteran Member

For colonoscopy or gastroscopy equipment used in hospitals, pentax brand is considered not too bad as a brand among gastroenterologists or surgeons (if any surgeons really cared).

I do know that olympus scopes were more in favour generally because of the "great colour differentiation" to visualise polyps, malignancy, ulcers better.

Ironically, that was how I got to know pentax's lens quality initially - how come the monitor showed up everything so clearly unlike what I saw from my canon camera!!!

Then my younger brother is an optometrist for many years and he prefers hoya glass over nikon. And I get funky cool glasses once a year for free hehehe (hoya super dense glasses 1.78 rating). Not only there are cheaper deals from hoya, service is far better. but Nikon has "attitude" in customer service, one step behind Hoya in terms of technology as well as taking ages to provide stock to retailers and there is no offering discounts for my brother's company etc ...

I guess pentax situation is different from konica-minolta, yashica-contax merging...

Last edited by roentarre; 12-21-2006 at 08:05 PM.
12-21-2006, 07:24 PM   #25
Site Supporter

Roentarre, was does super dense glass do for eyeglasses? I need some new specs.
Pentax will be fine. Hoya is a quality company. Went to work today and sold a bunch of new Pentax just like I have all month. Exciting times. Waiting for the K1D!
thanks
barondla
12-21-2006, 08:01 PM   #26
Veteran Member

Hi Barondla, I am severely myopic thus my glasses are always super thick and heavy on my nose. The technology has made glasses thinner with greater density (I would have to consult on my bro regarding the scientific side of things).

If you are not as short sighted as I am, you would not really need it at all since there will be little difference in the weight of glasses.

And I am salivating for k1d as well. As long as pentax lives, it is all worth while.
12-22-2006, 04:53 AM   #27
Veteran Member

The worst that can happen is that you have to use your equipment until it fails and buy into another system in 10 or so years.. not really worth doomsaying in my book.
Heh heh, and goes UP in value as Unobtanium and Collectanium in the meanwhile...

Re. spectacles, the optometrist I go to has been selling be Zeiss lenses... Hmmm perhaps I need to change systems, over to Hoya/Pentax, sumper-multi-coated aspherical low dispersion high density glass... with 49mm thread frames so I can put on the Daylight, Polarizing, and ND filters from the camera...
12-22-2006, 10:03 AM   #28
Veteran Member

Cheer up!

QuoteQuote:
What is so special about pentax lenses if there will be pentax quality lenses with canon and nikon mounts available as well? There will be little incentives to use pentax cameras...
Not an issue: Tokina 10-17/3.5-4.5, 12-24/4, 16-50/2.8 and 50-135/2.8 for example are all identical to Pentax DA and DA* lenses, and in fact co-developed with Tokina (owned by Hoya). So nothing new is going to happen. It was like that yesterday (Pentax lenses in other mounts), and the day before, and you felt quite good about it. I doubt lenses not co-developed with Tokina (like Limiteds) will ever appear in non-Pentax mounts, so not a issue again.

So cheer up, nothing is changing on a technical level.

On a business level though, this is good news: Pentax (in DSLR department) is mainly a design shop, with limited manufacturing capabilities. To expand their business Pentax need access to reliable production facilities for two key components: electronics and optics. The answer: Samsung and Hoya, among the best and biggest manufacturers of electronics and optical components. I don;t see anything wrong with this!
12-22-2006, 11:16 AM   #29
Veteran Member

Self-competition

QuoteOriginally posted by tranq78 Quote
What is interesting and hasn't been commented on in the various fora is that Hoya will now be competing directly with its customers. That is, the Pentax subsidiary will compete with Canon, Nikon, Sigma, etc but Hoya will be selling glass components to them at the same time.
Here is my view: if Hoya sells X components to say Canon and Nikon but Pentax grows, reducing C/N market by Y components, that Y difference would go to Pentax lenses, so Hoya will be producing X-Y+Y = X components and no change to Hoya. Tamron's revenue may decline as well by D dollars, but Pentax revenue would grow for an equivalent amount, so again we have Tamron revenue + Pentax revenue = Tamron revenue - D + Pentax revenue + D. Again, to Hoya as a whole no change.

The only theoretical risk is if Hoya decides to limit the output to other manufacturers to protect Pentax, which I find to be highly unlikely event. As long as Hoya makes quantities required at expected prices and quality I don't see any problem here as well.

All in all, I think it is a very good deal and Pentax will have a chance to do business as National, Panasonic and Technics are doing as parts of Matsushita Electric Industrial Co. Ltd. -- not bad at all!!!
12-22-2006, 04:38 PM   #30
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I would have thought that pentax would have been a target for samsung, as pentax already supplies most of samsung camera technology..... but then again, it seems samsung likes to do it on there own.....
a big unit like samsung could gobble up both hoya and pentax and not even burp!

cheers

randy