Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-15-2011, 09:22 AM   #16
Veteran Member
causey's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Arlington, VA
Photos: Albums
Posts: 3,758
QuoteOriginally posted by elho_cid Quote
There is no such thing as worry free in-lens motor. Cannot be. No one has it yet, why should Pentax be the first to have it?
I didn't mean an absolutely worry free SDM, but a reasonably worry free SDM system. There's no such thing as a reasonable customer who expects Pentax to provide an absolutely worry free SDM system. Could you suggest another term?

QuoteQuote:
AF is good enough in the K-5 already, on par with comparable Canon or Nikon bodies (60D or D90, I do understand that more points in D7000 is something desirable)
Some say AF is not quite on par with equivalent Canon-Nikon cameras. And I'm not talking about K-5 only. It's a general talk: AF in general.

QuoteQuote:
And I do not have problem with flashes.
Nor do I have a problem with your not having a problem with flashes.

QuoteQuote:
Pentax needs skilled users that know how to use it's advantages to get great photos. What they have so far is (mosty) herd of geeks dedicated to find every possible problem in their cameras. I'm sorry for this impression but it is sad.
Opinion. Canikon has their own herds, and I believe there are quite a few good Pentax shooters. All systems have pros and cons, but this doesn't make it weird to talk of what Pentax could improve.


Last edited by causey; 11-15-2011 at 12:40 PM.
11-15-2011, 09:23 AM   #17
Pentaxian
RonHendriks1966's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2009
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 8,714
QuoteOriginally posted by elho_cid Quote
Pentax needs skilled users that know how to use it's advantages to get great photos. What they have so far is (mosty) herd of geeks dedicated to find every possible problem in their cameras. I'm sorry for this impression but it is sad.


I do make pictures and sometimes even a great one
11-15-2011, 10:36 AM   #18
Veteran Member




Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Prague
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,198
QuoteOriginally posted by causey Quote
There's no such thing as a reasonable customer who expects Pentax to provide an absolutely worry free SDM system. Could you suggest another term?
I'd like them to drop the screw drive backward comaptibility from DA* sometimes soon. And perhaps to include the faster drive of new SDM lenses (DA*300, DA*60-250) also to the old ones (50-135). But I do not have the impression that failure rate of DA* is higher than with other brands. Look at lensrentals or others statistics. I know that the failure rate was horrible with first SDM generation, in the first year or two of production. But it is okay now - and by OK I mean around 5% failures a year, like the others. I agree it is high number, but that's life.
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/125371-whats-d...ml#post1297436
11-15-2011, 11:13 AM   #19
Veteran Member
riff's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2011
Photos: Albums
Posts: 1,408
Be careful what you wish for, big companies are rarely innovators.

I think backward compatibility is Pentax's ace in the hole, never lose that.

11-15-2011, 11:42 AM   #20
Veteran Member
Frogfish's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Shanghai
Posts: 4,490
QuoteOriginally posted by aurele Quote
Pentax called it DC motor, isn't it ? If they could put it in all lense, it would be sooooo nice, and become cheaper btw.
The Piezo DC motor is not a replacement for SDM. It is a smaller, less powerful motor.
11-15-2011, 11:52 AM   #21
Loyal Site Supporter
eddie1960's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Toronto
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 12,270
QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
Well that is a good figure I think.

For 2007: 'Big two' continue to dominate Japan: Digital Photography Review it was 6,3 %

I think 2008/9 where lower. Getting over 10 % is a good goal for 2013 I think.
that means they showed a 15.87% increase in their share since 208/9 not bad in the greater scheme of things. guess those robot cameras helped build the brand after all

11-15-2011, 12:44 PM   #22
Veteran Member
causey's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Arlington, VA
Photos: Albums
Posts: 3,758
QuoteOriginally posted by elho_cid Quote
I'd like them to drop the screw drive backward comaptibility from DA* sometimes soon. And perhaps to include the faster drive of new SDM lenses (DA*300, DA*60-250) also to the old ones (50-135). But I do not have the impression that failure rate of DA* is higher than with other brands. Look at lensrentals or others statistics. I know that the failure rate was horrible with first SDM generation, in the first year or two of production. But it is okay now - and by OK I mean around 5% failures a year, like the others. I agree it is high number, but that's life.
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/125371-whats-d...ml#post1297436
That's very good to know! (Might get a 16-50mm is SDM is ok now.) Now the question is whether there will be general agreement concerning the fact that SDM should no longer be on the list of priorities.
11-15-2011, 12:49 PM   #23
Pentaxian
RonHendriks1966's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2009
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 8,714
Does it say in that report anything about the size off that dslr market? I have no idea wheater the dslr market is growing, or shrinking due the the upcoming systmecamera's like NEX. Or are they just taking marketshare away from compactcamera's?

I guess that K-5 is the big sellar for Pentax, at least here in the Netherlands they sell more K-5's then K-r's.


Last edited by RonHendriks1966; 11-15-2011 at 02:29 PM.
11-15-2011, 01:05 PM   #24
Pentaxian
gazonk's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Oslo area, Norway
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,512
QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
Does it say in that report anything about the size off that dslr market? I have no idea wheater the dslr market is growing, or shrinking due the the upcoming systmecamera's like NEX. Or are they just taking marketshare away from compactcamera's?

I guess that K-5 is the big sellar for Pentax, at least here in the Netherlnads they sell more K-5's then K-r's.
The K-r a very capable camera and addresses the most important complaint about the K-x (the focus point confirmation points), but its more K-5 like design missed the target audience, it should have stayed "cute" like the K-x.
11-16-2011, 01:39 AM   #25
Veteran Member




Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Borås, Sweden
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 3,165
QuoteOriginally posted by elho_cid Quote
There is no such thing as worry free in-lens motor. Cannot be. No one has it yet, why should Pentax be the first to have it?
While I am sure problems do exist, in three years of shooting brand C I have not had any problems, known anyone who ever has had problems, or even read any forum posts about problems with the USM AF motors. To me that is practically "worry free".
11-16-2011, 02:52 AM   #26
Pentaxian
aurele's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Paris, France
Photos: Albums
Posts: 2,967
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Frogfish Quote
The Piezo DC motor is not a replacement for SDM. It is a smaller, less powerful motor.
the DC motor isn't smaller ! it's like the USM of Canon, it's a ring motor. And with this principile it's very easy to make it more or less powerfull, and so far i've never read any problem report with DC motor.

ROTARY ACTUATOR
11-16-2011, 05:46 AM   #27
Veteran Member
falconeye's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Munich, Alps, Germany
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 6,863
QuoteOriginally posted by aurele Quote
DSLR market share :

Canon : 43.7%
Nikon : 41.4%
Pentax : 7.3%
Other 7.6%
Thanks for the report.

I agree that other must include SLT as otherwise, who would be the 7.6%? So, it's probably 7% SLT/Alpha and a few Fuji etc.

Interestingly, it's about 1/3 for Olympus, Panasonic and Sony in the Mirrorless segment. So, this is a current battle field.

7.3% for Pentax is a good figure (even for Japan) and I guess it is due to the success of the K-5 which has won many major tests and is a wonderful camera indeed. The K-5 isn't cheap, so 7.3% means something ...

However, it won't be easy for Pentax to duplicate K-5's success story. It needed years of body development (the K-7) and a break-thru sensor design (integrated on-chip A/Ds with very good full well capacity).
11-16-2011, 05:55 AM   #28
Administrator
Site Webmaster
Adam's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Arizona
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 43,259
A little more and there will be more Pentax users than all other brands combined except for canon and nikon- I think that would be a worthy goal for them going forward.
11-16-2011, 06:04 AM   #29
Pentaxian
aurele's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Paris, France
Photos: Albums
Posts: 2,967
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
I think that would be a worthy goal for them going forward
indeed !

And, BTW, have you seen that Ricoh release a new compact camera, with a very fast AF (0.1 sec) ? Sounds like Ricoh have some assets to put in a Pentax body
11-16-2011, 06:58 AM   #30
Pentaxian
fs999's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Luxembourg
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 3,749
One question : who owns these patents now ? Hoya, Pentax or Ricoh ?
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
bcn, japan, market, pentax, pentax news, pentax rumors, share
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Pentax DSLR market share baj Pentax DSLR Discussion 52 05-26-2011 03:35 PM
BCNranking: K-x slightly up in Japan market share again gazonk Pentax News and Rumors 16 09-13-2010 12:24 PM
Japan: EVIL ~30% market share; DSLR 35% increase yr over yr nosnoop Pentax News and Rumors 121 07-20-2010 07:40 AM
Pentax market share, where are you? ismaelg General Talk 6 07-19-2010 06:35 AM
Why do people want pentax to gain market share? schmik Photographic Industry and Professionals 36 11-03-2009 09:56 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:41 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top