Photos: Albums
Pentax : Japan market share :-)

according to BCN, from january to october :

DSLR market share :

Canon : 43.7%
Nikon : 41.4%
Pentax : 7.3%
Other 7.6%

Pentax market share seems to increase in Japan, and Pentax is ahead Sony and their SLT.

Nice to see that Pentax is still alive, and keep growing :-)

BCN report :
http://www.bcn.co.jp/sys_imgs/co_press/pdf/2011111009583380262.pdf

11-15-2011, 05:26 AM   #2
Pentaxian

They haven't started growing yet
11-15-2011, 05:26 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by aurele Quote
Pentax market share seems to increase in Japan, and Pentax is ahead Sony and their SLT.

Nice to see that Pentax is still alive, and keep growing :-)
Good news... but are you sure the SLT is in the SLR and not in the "mirrorless" group? (If I understand the somewhat crudely google-translated version of the pdf, Sony has a large market share in the latter)
11-15-2011, 05:48 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by gazonk Quote
but are you sure the SLT is in the SLR and not in the "mirrorless" group?
in SLT you still have a mirror so it is a DSLR

in mirrorless Sony have around 29% market share.

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
They haven't started growing yet
the have grown of 1%, last year Pentax had around 6% of market share.

11-15-2011, 05:49 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Sony is on the 3rd position in MILC category with 29.3%, after Olympus (37.1%) and Panasonic (29.5%). I believe they did it with the NEX, which is selling quite well in Japan.

Aurele, the 1.5% figure was the worldwide market share including compacts. Which means it was mostly compacts. Kodak, for example, was way above Pentax with over 7% market share; how many DSLRs do they make? And how well are they doing right now?
In Japan, if we're talking about DSLRs, Pentax was "always" quite strong; IMO fact 7.3% is a low-ish value - but this will change.
11-15-2011, 07:50 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Now they need more lens and accesories options to support K-5 and future enthisiast cameras. O-GPS1 was a move to good direction, I enjoy mine.
11-15-2011, 08:07 AM - 1 Like   #7
Veteran Member

I think an improved AF system comes on top of the list of priorities. Next, probably, flash or problem-free SDM. Lenses, third...

11-15-2011, 08:08 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
IMO fact 7.3% is a low-ish value
with Canikon holding 85,1% of the market, 7.5% is not that bad

QuoteOriginally posted by causey Quote
problem-free SDM
Pentax called it DC motor, isn't it ? If they could put it in all lense, it would be sooooo nice, and become cheaper btw.

QuoteOriginally posted by elho_cid Quote
Now they need more lens
Pentax need/should reproduce some legacy lense, it could be so nice and an easy way to have a good lense line up very quick for enthousiats.

To summarize, Pentax have some work to do to grab more than 10% of the market !
11-15-2011, 08:13 AM   #9
Pentaxian

I think an improved AF system comes on top of the list of priorities. Next, probably, flash or problem-free SDM. Lenses, third...
I'd place problem-free SDM on top. And they really, really need to introduce a new 2.8 WR standard zoom, the 16-50 is unconvincing optically. As a minimal stop gap solution, maybe they should offer the K-5 with a WR version of the 17-70 (no, it's not 2.8, but at least it's a clear step up from the 18-55).
11-15-2011, 08:18 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by gazonk Quote
I'd place problem-free SDM on top. And they really, really need to introduce a new 2.8 WR standard zoom, the 16-50 is unconvincing optically. As a minimal stop gap solution, maybe they should offer the K-5 with a WR version of the 17-70 (no, it's not 2.8, but at least it's a clear step up from the 18-55).
both go together : useless to have a very good AF if the SDm fail all the time, and useless to have a SDM if the focus is never done on the good thing.

both are a request of enthousiast, but should be "put" in the entry line too.
11-15-2011, 08:23 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Obviously, everybody thinks of something else when it comes to formulating priorities. I put AF first, because all cameras have it, and an improved AF would benefit all Pentax owners. Moreover, better AF might make Pentax look more "professional," since more usable for weddings and such. I was trying to be more "objective"... But, of course, even trying to be objective is not being objective. More objective would be a list of priorities voted by many members of the PF. I was thinking of opening a Priorities thread--but then I'd like to have a good idea of what should be on the list...

So, let's see: AF, SDM, lenses (as a general topic--what lenses is a different subject), flash, customer service, quality control... What else?

I would reserve this list for APS-C cameras. I know many would say a FF is the most urgent thing Pentax should take care of.
11-15-2011, 08:59 AM   #12
Veteran Member

I would reserve this list for APS-C cameras. I know many would say a FF is the most urgent thing Pentax should take care of.
The list would apply to both APS-C and FF and in fact all these things need to be in place for FF, Cost can be spread over FF and APS-C.
11-15-2011, 09:04 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
The list would apply ...
The list would be what we make of it...
I doubt Pentax has the financial strength to offer a FF system while taking care of the other things. Anyway, I guess we can add FF too, since otherwise we risk getting into a FF/no FF heat. I'll mention marketing as well.
Again, this is not the order or priorities, but a list of what should be included on the list aimed at ordering priorities:

improved AF
worry free SDM
more lenses (as a general topic--what lenses, that's a different subject)
improved flash system
better customer service
better quality control
FF
marketing
11-15-2011, 09:04 AM   #14
Banned

Well that is a good figure I think.

For 2007: 'Big two' continue to dominate Japan: Digital Photography Review it was 6,3 %

I think 2008/9 where lower. Getting over 10 % is a good goal for 2013 I think.
11-15-2011, 09:17 AM   #15
Veteran Member

There is no such thing as worry free in-lens motor. Cannot be. No one has it yet, why should Pentax be the first to have it?
AF is good enough in the K-5 already, on par with comparable Canon or Nikon bodies (60D or D90, I do understand that more points in D7000 is something desirable)
And I do not have problem with flashes.

Pentax needs skilled users that know how to use it's advantages to get great photos. What they have so far is (mosty) herd of geeks dedicated to find every possible problem in their cameras. I'm sorry for this impression but it is sad.