Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-16-2011, 06:59 AM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by causey Quote
Some say AF is not quite on par with equivalent Canon-Nikon cameras. And I'm not talking about K-5 only. It's a general talk: AF in general.
I don't think it's "general talk". It's very specific: the tracking AF for moving objects is not as capable on Pentax bodies as it is on Nikon or Canon. That doesn't mean AF isn't fast for still objects – it is, particularly with the right lenses.

Additionally, the competition is better in having more AF points. The Canon 7D has 19 cross-type points, and the center point is extra-sensitive with faster lenses. The Nikon D7000 has 39 focus points (although only 9 are cross type). The D300s has a 51-point system, with 15 cross-type sensors.

And let's not forget the Sony SLT-A77 – 19 points, 11 cross type.

11-16-2011, 07:07 AM   #32
Veteran Member

Ricoh had compacts with super fast AF several years ago already. But it is quite different from having super precise and intelligent AF in DSLR.
11-16-2011, 07:10 AM   #33
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I would guess the Pentax division of Ricoh, so the answer would be Ricoh (at least camera specific Patents there may be optical patents that were part of medical imaging)
11-16-2011, 07:21 AM   #34
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mattdm Quote
Additionally, the competition is better in having more AF points. The Canon 7D has 19 cross-type points, and the center point is extra-sensitive with faster lenses. The Nikon D7000 has 39 focus points (although only 9 are cross type). The D300s has a 51-point system, with 15 cross-type sensors.
You left out the part of the competition that has less AF points: Canon 60D and 5D Mk II both have only 9 points, and they're in a "prism" shape (without the 4 corner points on my K10D, which I use a lot!). And on the 5d, they're all in the middle of the screen.

11-16-2011, 07:51 AM - 1 Like   #35
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
Thanks for the report.

I agree that other must include SLT as otherwise, who would be the 7.6%? So, it's probably 7% SLT/Alpha and a few Fuji etc.

Interestingly, it's about 1/3 for Olympus, Panasonic and Sony in the Mirrorless segment. So, this is a current battle field.

7.3% for Pentax is a good figure (even for Japan) and I guess it is due to the success of the K-5 which has won many major tests and is a wonderful camera indeed. The K-5 isn't cheap, so 7.3% means something ...

However, it won't be easy for Pentax to duplicate K-5's success story. It needed years of body development (the K-7) and a break-thru sensor design (integrated on-chip A/Ds with very good full well capacity).
IMO, it isn't just the technical excellence of the K5, altho a big factor, its also that Nikon and Canon locked themselves into large, heavy, expensive bodies and expensive lenses for their top quality line. Now that Pentax has established their technical excellence with the K5, we are seeing more folks that are leaving the C and N lines for the smaller size and weight of the Pentax. I'm 63 and have an older friend in a camera club who's prob in his 70's, pulling his heavy Nikon equipment, 2 D300s, a 400 zoom and a 600 around in a wagon. How much longer can he do that. I think Sigma and Tamron are also making the mistake of discarding older smaller lens designs like the excellent Sigma HSM 50-150 for the newer larger heavier 50-150. Nikon's D7000 was an explicit acknowledgement of the K7 form factor. Lots of features in a small body with smaller lenses are going to serve Pentax well.
11-16-2011, 09:02 AM   #36
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Sigma is trying to build top notch lenses with HSM and OS all the time, but with such tech, the price is rising to the sky ! the 70-200 HSM double the price du to the OS !

And that's not serving them, some Canikon friends who are used to Sigma big lense, prefer now smaller and lighter lense because it's too expensive to protect (77mm filter on the 85/1.4, what a paine in the wallet ! Even the 85/1.2 of Canon use smaller filter thread - 72mm)
11-16-2011, 09:26 AM   #37
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by aurele Quote
Sigma is trying to build top notch lenses with HSM and OS all the time, but with such tech, the price is rising to the sky ! the 70-200 HSM double the price du to the OS !

And that's not serving them, some Canikon friends who are used to Sigma big lense, prefer now smaller and lighter lense because it's too expensive to protect (77mm filter on the 85/1.4, what a paine in the wallet ! Even the 85/1.2 of Canon use smaller filter thread - 72mm)
+1

I have that Sigma 70-200mm/f2.8 EX DG OS HSM with a filter and that burns a hole in your wallet and it is a heavy lens to use for a few hours.

11-16-2011, 09:55 AM   #38
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
I have that Sigma 70-200mm/f2.8 EX DG OS HSM with a filter
Why filters?
The most expensive lenses (super tele) don't even support front filters.

Sometimes, I feel people are more concerned about reselling than using their stuff. I see seat protectors in cars, an invasion of peel-off stickers meant to support sales in shops, still sitting on almost all those notebooks (Macs excluded), "Passed" stickers on analog cameras (where have they gone? ) and UV front filters on lenses.

I never cared too much about the size of the front filter. Not in the digital age where digital filters do almost the same. I exclude ND and polarizing filters.
11-16-2011, 09:57 AM   #39
Veteran Member

Why filters?
The most expensive lenses (super tele) don't even support front filters.

Sometimes, I feel people are more concerned about reselling than using their stuff. I see seat protectors in cars, an invasion of peel-off stickers meant to support sales in shops, still sitting on almost all those notebooks (Macs excluded), "Passed" stickers on analog cameras (where have they gone? ) and UV front filters on lenses.

I never cared too much about the size of the front filter. Not in the digital age where digital filters do almost the same. I exclude ND and polarizing filters.
I'm with you ND and Polariser are just about all I use now (unless I'm shooting film then I have a set of b/w filters and an IR filter as well (still have the warming etc but rarely shoot colour film)
11-16-2011, 10:05 AM   #40
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Why filters?
because when i go do some mountaineering or climbing with some big heavy tele (or any nice or expensive lense) in the bag (which is not a specialized bag, i haven't have found one big enought), thing i do quite often, i rather like to scratch / wet / splash a ND / pola/ UV filter than my front element.

It's always less expensive

Plus, we are a bunch of friends to do that so we borrow each other filter. Last week a friend of mine went to do some mountaineering and bring its Canon 70-200 /2.8 at the top of the mountain at around 4,500 meters, in the cold and the snow, and he was quite happy to have some filter.
11-16-2011, 10:09 AM   #41
Pentaxian

I've tried my DA16-45 e.g. directly against the sun with and without its Kenko PRO 1 protective filter and can't tell the difference, so at least good filters don't do much wrong.

But I'm beginning to think that the only lens I have where a protective filter really makes sense, is the DA35 Macro Ltd. - but on that lens I really want to keep the filter on all the time
11-16-2011, 10:11 AM   #42
Banned

Why filters?
Mainly for protection. On the other hand I didn't had any incident yet where a filter was usefull to protect my lens.
11-16-2011, 10:23 AM   #43
Pentaxian

A hood is a better way to protect a lens... ;-)
11-16-2011, 10:29 AM   #44
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Asahiflex Quote
A hood is a better way to protect a lens... ;-)
Exactly, I use hoods regularly, and have had to replace ones that saved lenses from damage
11-16-2011, 12:54 PM   #45

It's incredible NEX is selling so well without any external flash contacts. Just imagine if they had one?

as for the wallet, I buy second hand filters.