Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-16-2011, 02:49 PM   #46
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
Why filters?
The most expensive lenses (super tele) don't even support front filters.
At least in Canon's case the front element is basically nothing but a "protective filter". And the cost to replace it is roughly in line with what you could expect to pay for a decent quality filter of such size.

11-17-2011, 05:48 AM   #47
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hi

This thread started off discussing PENTAX's market share and now we are at fighting over filters

Perhaps market share of filters would be more appropriate then?

Greetings
11-17-2011, 06:44 AM   #48
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
thanks to put us back in the right way

To increase more its visibilty (and thus market share), Pentax seems to invest in sponsoring : i've received Pentax newsletter and they say in it that they are now sponsoring a soccer team of the national and european championship

That nice to see !
11-17-2011, 08:01 AM   #49
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm sure Pentax had 7.8% share last year, mostly carried by the kx.
The k5 has done well and can be found for under 80,000 yen on amazon Japan with the kr around 40000.
Absolute bargains.

11-17-2011, 09:40 AM   #50
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by mickey Quote
I'm sure Pentax had 7.8% share last year, mostly carried by the kx.
The k5 has done well and can be found for under 80,000 yen on amazon Japan with the kr around 40000.
Absolute bargains.
Well if they turned K-x salesnumbers into K-5 salesnumbers then there must be a lot more money coming in.
11-17-2011, 07:29 PM   #51

QuoteOriginally posted by elho_cid Quote
I'd like them to drop the screw drive backward comaptibility from DA* sometimes soon. And perhaps to include the faster drive of new SDM lenses (DA*300, DA*60-250) also to the old ones (50-135). But I do not have the impression that failure rate of DA* is higher than with other brands. Look at lensrentals or others statistics. I know that the failure rate was horrible with first SDM generation, in the first year or two of production. But it is okay now - and by OK I mean around 5% failures a year, like the others. I agree it is high number, but that's life.
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/125371-whats-d...ml#post1297436
Why would you possibly want to remove screw drive, or the ability to still use your SDM lens 10 years from now, with working autofocus? Bizarre. It's unlikely we'd see lens prices drop significantly by such a change, I'd prefer a firmware update and *all* SDM/DC lenses to come with backup of screw drive before I'd purchase many SDM lenses..
11-17-2011, 10:06 PM   #52
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Schraubstock Quote
This thread started off discussing PENTAX's market share and now we are at fighting over filters
Woodrow Wilson, former president of Princeton Uni, said that academic disputes were so vicious because the stakes were so low. Online discussions can be like that too.

QuoteQuote:
Perhaps market share of filters would be more appropriate then?
I have many many filters, undoubtedly more than I have lenses. That doesn't mean they're any good. Most of them are probably less-good brands. I won't waste time to check. Gzz, the stuff that washes in with eBay batch lots...

QuoteOriginally posted by rtpguy Quote
I'd prefer a firmware update and *all* SDM/DC lenses to come with backup of screw drive before I'd purchase many SDM lenses..
I'm broke and not in the market so this is easy for me to say but I won't buy any SDM lenses. The "known issues" count just seems higher than my comfort level.

11-18-2011, 07:24 PM   #53

QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
Woodrow Wilson, former president of Princeton Uni, said that academic disputes were so vicious because the stakes were so low. Online discussions can be like that too.
I would expect nothing less from the guy who permanently imposed income tax on us.
11-18-2011, 07:48 PM   #54
Pentaxian

I have one SDM lens. It freaks me out, I can't hear it. I miss the visual cue that lets me know when the auto-focus algorithm is done and I can snap a picture. Sometimes I find myself looking at the camera to see if it's working, pretty silly since it's an internal focus lens and I can't see anything move anyway. Yes, I have complaints about SDM technology, but none to do with it not actually working.
11-19-2011, 03:11 AM   #55
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
I have one SDM lens. It freaks me out, I can't hear it. I miss the visual cue that lets me know when the auto-focus algorithm is done and I can snap a picture. Sometimes I find myself looking at the camera to see if it's working, pretty silly since it's an internal focus lens and I can't see anything move anyway. Yes, I have complaints about SDM technology, but none to do with it not actually working.
Put on your beeping sounds.
11-19-2011, 04:37 AM   #56
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by causey Quote
I doubt Pentax has the financial strength to offer a FF system while taking care of the other things.
It would be interesting to see if Pentax are in the midst of a hiring boom in Japan.

I would guess that they are, and that Ricoh is investing a considerable amount into kicking Canon and Nikon where it hurts. I wouldn't be surprised at 15% to 20% market share in 2 or 3 years.

Ricoh strikes me as a great custodian for Pentax. An engineering-led company with a genuine affinity for the Pentax brand, and photographers in general.
11-19-2011, 04:46 AM   #57
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by elho_cid Quote
Pentax needs skilled users that know how to use it's advantages to get great photos. What they have so far is (mosty) herd of geeks dedicated to find every possible problem in their cameras. I'm sorry for this impression but it is sad.
A little harsh.

I think Pentax users are perhaps a little vocal because they arrived at the brand either through legacy or through research.

That would make them, in general, perhaps more experienced and more critical than, say, a Rebel buyer.

I'm on my second K-x (through no fault of Pentax) and while I pay more to moor my boat in a marina each month than it costs to buy a K5 body, I really see no reason to upgrade. It's that good. Now, a FF would send my LBA nuts! I was shooting my Z-p1 today and that viewfinder is reason alone to upgrade.
11-19-2011, 06:27 AM   #58
Pentaxian

QuoteQuote:
Put on your beeping sounds.
They scare the moose.

11-19-2011, 05:37 PM   #59
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
They scare the moose.
Or does the moose scare you?
11-19-2011, 06:28 PM   #60
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
Well if they turned K-x salesnumbers into K-5 salesnumbers then there must be a lot more money coming in.
Hm . . . . Margins probably higher in K-x.