Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-19-2011, 07:19 PM   #61
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Fontan Quote
Hm . . . . Margins probably higher in K-x.
Do you really think so? The kx sold for between 450 and 500, while the K5 has sold for between 1100 and 1500 (and held its value pretty well). I don't see how margin could be higher on the kx.

11-19-2011, 07:38 PM   #62
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
Or does the moose scare you?
Do not argue with a moose; the moose does not listen.
Do not block a moose's path; the moose does not stop.
Do not bother a baby moose; mama moose is impatient.
Do not inhale near a moose; the moose does not bathe.
Do not 'play' with a moose; the moose is not your pet.
Do not shoot a moose; the moose will only get angry.
Do not wire a moose; the moose has no connectivity.

I have had fairly-close encounters with moose in Yukon and Colorado. My other has had VERY close encounters with moose in Alaska. A moose is larger, ornerier, smellier, faster, and tougher than you are. Yes, a moose is a vegetarian, and it doesn't take much brains to sneak up on a berry bush. But even vegetarians kill. Think of the moose as the "hippopotamus of the north" and you might survive.
11-19-2011, 08:36 PM   #63
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rtpguy Quote
Why would you possibly want to remove screw drive, or the ability to still use your SDM lens 10 years from now, with working autofocus? Bizarre. It's unlikely we'd see lens prices drop significantly by such a change, I'd prefer a firmware update and *all* SDM/DC lenses to come with backup of screw drive before I'd purchase many SDM lenses..
I'll give you one reason: one can't be competitive with other lens manufacturers if one builds in backup focusing systems. I don't think Sigma, Tamron, Nikon, Canon, or any other lens manufacturing co. are building co-existing focusing systems into their lense. However, i'm all for Pentax fixing whatever is wrong with SDM on the few designs that are affected. One rarely hears of any failure in the body focusing motor, so i dont' accept that lens motors, properly designed, have to be any less reliable than the motors now used in the bodies.
11-19-2011, 10:53 PM   #64
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
Do you really think so? The kx sold for between 450 and 500, while the K5 has sold for between 1100 and 1500 (and held its value pretty well). I don't see how margin could be higher on the kx.
Volume

11-20-2011, 03:33 AM   #65
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote

I have had fairly-close encounters with moose in Yukon and Colorado. My other has had VERY close encounters with moose in Alaska. A moose is larger, ornerier, smellier, faster, and tougher than you are. Yes, a moose is a vegetarian, and it doesn't take much brains to sneak up on a berry bush. But even vegetarians kill. Think of the moose as the "hippopotamus of the north" and you might survive.
Yeah, a moose around here can weigh up to some 1700-1800 lbs, jump over 8 foot tall fences, and run at 40mph.

They are generally shy, but you do NOT want to risk pissing one off.
11-20-2011, 04:23 AM   #66
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote

Think of the moose as the "hippopotamus of the north" and you might survive.
But I love Hippo's.
11-20-2011, 04:46 AM   #67
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
The only things that kill more people every year in Africa than hippo are malaria and other people!

I have never seen a moose but I have experienced an angry hippo and terrified of them!!!

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=-26.096608,28.015880

11-20-2011, 05:03 AM   #68
Veteran Member

But I love Hippo's.
So did this guy:

Farmer Marius Els gouged to death by pet hippo Humphrey who was 'like a son' | Mail Online

11-20-2011, 10:24 AM   #69
Banned

It's good to read that he is dead, since I think that people like that should be behind bars for there way of keeping pets. The Hippo isn't an animal living solitair so this is just qruel.
11-20-2011, 01:37 PM - 1 Like   #70
Veteran Member

Back to moose: My other lived awhile in Anchorage Alaska back in pre-pipeline days. She tells of regularly (on summer evenings) sitting with cow-orkers on a 2nd-story deck, and a moose who (regularly) walked along the ground below, stuck her head up onto the deck railing, interested in snacks. Yes, moose are TALL. Factoid: Some moose like the taste of buttered popcorn, beer nuts, and egg-salad sandwiches with sprouts (easy on the mustard).

Last edited by RioRico; 11-20-2011 at 02:30 PM.
11-20-2011, 01:46 PM   #71
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Fontan Quote
Volume
volume doesn't mean higher margins, maybe more $ but margins are measured in % an i would bet the K5 has higher margins and the 645D probably very good margins
11-20-2011, 01:48 PM   #72
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by pingflood Quote
Yeah, a moose around here can weigh up to some 1700-1800 lbs, jump over 8 foot tall fences, and run at 40mph.

They are generally shy, but you do NOT want to risk pissing one off.
and you really don't want to hit one crossing the highway at night. I've been first responder at an accident like that not a pretty sight (moose was in better shape than the car or it's occupants, still needed to be put down though (actually why the sad sign i had good stew off that )
11-21-2011, 03:01 AM   #73
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
(actually why the sad sign i had good stew off that )
Another good ad to this Japanese Marketshare threat:

How does Moose tast? You may even share a resceipe, for the rare moment I tend to visit the nearby zoo where they have moose and I bring my monopod (very sturdy Manfrotto).
11-21-2011, 03:13 AM   #74
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Another good ad to this Japanese Marketshare threat:

How does Moose tast? You may even share a resceipe, for the rare moment I tend to visit the nearby zoo where they have moose and I bring my monopod (very sturdy Manfrotto).
Is chocolate mousse a different species? (Sorry)
11-21-2011, 03:39 AM   #75
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Schraubstock Quote
Is chocolate mousse a different species? (Sorry)
The chocolate and hair-gel and Alaska moose are all different species. I hope.

A true story: We flew to a hot springs near the Arctic Circle to watch the northern lights for a few nights. Resort management forced us to run naked from our beds out into the snow at 7am, and poisoned us, but I'll talk about those events another time.

OK, so we spend our evenings and nights in the outdoor hot springs, steamy mist rising, and BIG HONKING MOOSES strolling by in the dimness, occasionally peering down at us from their heights. Hot water, cold wine, moose breath, we had it all! And the rustling noises in the bushes? Those are Japanese tourists (JTs). We hear there's a prophesy that the next emperor will be conceived under the northern lights. So various JTs are screwing in the underbrush under the flickering skies, with BIG HONKING MOOSES strolling by and usually not stepping on them. I kid you not.

So what does this have to do with Pentax's Japanese market share? I'm sure there's a connexion somewhere...