Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-05-2013, 11:06 AM - 1 Like   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
Does "PENTAX red" still exist?
For what it's worth (may be nothing) the new lens roadmap has Pentax at the top in black, not the usual red logo as in prior versions.

09-05-2013, 06:23 PM   #17
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by macTak Quote
For what it's worth (may be nothing) the new lens roadmap has Pentax at the top in black, not the usual red logo as in prior versions.
Compared to red, I would prefer black as the color of "Pentax", in every context the company name was visible. If Pentax/Ricoh furthermore could combine that black color with green, it would be even better. There are already many camera and electronic companies that has red as their color, therefore Pentax could very well chose another one. Why not black-green-gold or something..?
09-05-2013, 06:47 PM - 1 Like   #18

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Traditional Quote
Compared to red, I would prefer black as the color of "Pentax", in every context the company name was visible. If Pentax/Ricoh furthermore could combine that black color with green, it would be even better. There are already many camera and electronic companies that has red as their color, therefore Pentax could very well chose another one. Why not black-green-gold or something..?
I like the black and green idea, black and gold reminds me of tamron or maybe sigma ? red reminds me of cannon L
09-05-2013, 06:57 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Perhaps someone could show the neighborhood or the actual offices with a theta? :P

09-05-2013, 11:27 PM   #20
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by buttons Quote
I like the black and green idea, black and gold reminds me of tamron or maybe sigma? Red reminds me of cannon L.
Then we are at least two people who believes that Pentax should have some other company color than red, and that black and green are nice colors that could work well for Pentax.
09-09-2013, 08:37 AM - 1 Like   #21
Veteran Member

It is not just the colour that has changed, but the font. In prior versions of the roadmap "PENTAX" was the Pentax logo, red in colour with its own special font. So instead of the roadmap being branded, now the "Pentax" serves as purely descriptive. Fodder perhaps for those who think Ricoh wants to eliminate the Pentax brand, but it need not be construed that way. I would point out that the font Pentax has used for their "PENTAX" logo goes back at least to the era of the Super-Takumar lenses (from the catalogues I have) and in that shade of red at least back to the K-series lenses (again from its catalog), so it could be thought due for a refresh in look.
09-12-2013, 06:54 PM   #22
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by macTak Quote
I would point out that the font Pentax has used for their "PENTAX" logo goes back at least to the era of the Super-Takumar lenses (from the catalogues I have) and in that shade of red at least back to the K-series lenses (again from its catalog), so it could be thought due for a refresh in look.
If I were to read something into this (which I am not) I would infer that Ricoh is making a subtle break with legacy. Does that mean K-mount support for legacy lenses - probably not. Does that mean continuing the best aspects of Pentax history (occasional milestone breakthroughs in lenses and cameras; small size and ergonomics, toughness, build quality, etc.) and adding to that the best aspects of Ricoh's corporate skills and culture - certainly yes.

Subtly changing the color, font and focus of Pentax establishes that Ricoh is creating a new direction and a new tradition, not that they are leaving all of the past behind. Given the rather mundane performance of Pentax over the last ten or so years I'm not so sure that's a bad idea.

09-12-2013, 11:41 PM   #23
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
... Subtly changing the color, font and focus of Pentax establishes that Ricoh is creating a new direction and a new tradition, not that they are leaving all of the past behind. Given the rather mundane performance of Pentax over the last ten or so years I'm not so sure that's a bad idea.
I hope you are right, and that this new direction will be really good!
09-17-2013, 09:45 PM - 1 Like   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Around Downtown?

QuoteOriginally posted by mamethot Quote
Perhaps someone could show the neighborhood or the actual offices with a theta? :P
Hello Marc-Antoine,
I don't have a Theta, but do have a 24mm. Here's a few photos of the surrounding areas.
1) From across the street (17th Street) looking North. The center tower is where the Pentax offices are. The partial building on the left (West) is the Marriott Hotel.
Behind the tower is the Downtown Hyatt Hotel, can't see it in this view.
2) Here I walked West down 17th and shot back towards 633 17th, so we're looking East. See the 'California Street' sign? That's where I took the next two from, standing right under that sign. This is a wide-angle shot from the same location I posted earlier on this thread, that one used a 100mm.
3) From 633 17th Street, looking West, towards the mountains.
4) From 633 17th Street, looking East. The silver tower, near-center, is on Broadway + 17th, 6 blocks East.
17th Street, as you can see, is the financial center of Denver. Nearly every bank that has a Western office is represented here. One block South is the main East-West street, 16th. That's the infamous '16th Street Mall', an all-commercial pedestrian and (free) shuttle bus shopping and dining area, over a mile long.
So the Pentax Admin offices are very centrally located in Downtown and easily accessible from any direction. There's connections by light rail, city bus, auto and the mall shuttle. If you find an overhead view or map of Denver, just count 6 block West from Broadway on 17th, North/East corner. That's it!
Hope this helps,
Ron
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K10D  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K10D  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K10D  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K10D  Photo 
09-18-2013, 12:09 AM   #25
Banned

I always wonder "why Colorado". It makes little sense. Even mountain bike companies moved out of Colorado because, despite some world-class trails and parks, it made little sense from a business perspective and those companies went to the coasts, or closer to it. Pentax should be near the ports, as an importer, which is one reason we see many of the other major companies posted out in various places some distance near the Newark/JFK terminals.
09-18-2013, 01:52 AM   #26
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by snake Quote
I always wonder "why Colorado". It makes little sense. Even mountain bike companies moved out of Colorado because, despite some world-class trails and parks, it made little sense from a business perspective and those companies went to the coasts, or closer to it. Pentax should be near the ports, as an importer, which is one reason we see many of the other major companies posted out in various places some distance near the Newark/JFK terminals.
Agreed, seems if not stupid, well... not clear at all why the heck they would go in such a place.
09-18-2013, 09:37 PM   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Near A Port?

Hello Snake and Thibs,
The offices here are the administrative offices. Business offices. No sales, warehousing or importing. Shipping, receiving, repair and service are all done at other locations, I presume closer to a shipping port or coast.
Being near the center of a large continent for business purposes doesn't seem stupid to me. YMMV.
Ron
09-19-2013, 09:24 AM - 1 Like   #28
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I work for a software company based in the high tech hub of Taos, New Mexico and telecommute from a small mountain town in Colorado.
Stupid? Maybe. But it works for us!
09-19-2013, 09:45 AM - 1 Like   #29
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
A company locates its Administrative offices where it is likely to find the type of people who can do the work it needs, for a price it is willing to pay, living in close proximity. It's a lifestyle decision. Though geographically more central you wouldn't expect Pentax to locate in St. Louis. Twitter wanted to (the founder of Twitter grew up here) - but there weren't enough IT people here.

Additionally the offices should be close to an air travel HUB if possible, not a connecting flight location. Denver is about three hours westbound from the principal East Coast airports - about the maximum tolerable direct flight time.
09-19-2013, 10:27 AM   #30
Pentaxian

They've been here forever, haven't they (in the area)? Probably back to the Honeywell days -- they have a branch here. Remember up until recently they were also in medical imaging products business. It is a small office -- just a dozen people or so. Colorado is fairly business-friendly, and Denver in particular is a hot city right now -- very fast-growing. I don't think people realize how modern it is here.