Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-26-2011, 08:20 AM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by OutOfFocus Quote
I just read it and enjoyed it. I don't have anything to contribute back though. Good job on putting Pentax on people's radar screens.
AOL, I enjoyed the long post as well. On the interwebz, silence is often a good sign that your post was well received

11-26-2011, 08:36 AM   #17
Pentaxian

I loved seeing Pentax stuff at future shop... but when it came time to by my K20D I phoned pro services at Henry's and got a knowledgeable sales person... I wasn't a pro, but pro services is available for anyone who knows how to use and SLR. SOme how , when I buy a camera I expect to talk to some one who knows and respects what I'm buying. I didn't find that at Future Shop when Pentax's were there. And they didn't have K20Ds. Mind you, if you go to a Henry's away from the main Toronto store, you're probably going to end up educating the staff, if you're shooting Pentax. I hope to wander around the Toronto store a bit over the holidays... it probably should be the un-offical meeting place of Ontario Pentaxians... Anyone have a better option?
11-26-2011, 09:55 AM   #18
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Kryscendo Quote
Wow, I take it nobody likes reading large, well thought out posts.
There may be some of that but many of us simply nod our heads and agree - silently. I appreciated it. So there ...
11-26-2011, 02:24 PM   #19

My Pentax was purchased through Best Buy, by my wife as a gift, as she knew that I wanted to stick with Pentax upon entering the digital slr market, as I've used 35mm Pentax film cameras for years.

One thing I've really noted locally is that Canon has come to just dominate the store offerings. I've always preferred Pentax cameras, but they're hard to find here locally.

11-26-2011, 10:31 PM   #20
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kryscendo Quote
Wow, I take it nobody likes reading large, well thought out posts.
Read it. I'm still in shock. You definitely do not work at the Best Buy I shop at. You sound like you are doing what a salesperson is supposed to do, take proper care of the customer, which unfortunately is all too rare at most stores (not just BB). Hope your boss and your customers appreciate you.
11-27-2011, 08:52 AM   #21
Loyal Site Supporter

@ kryscendo, it was a good post and I read it but there isn't anything in it I need to reply to. But thanks for the info.

NaCl(basic informational posts frequently don't get much in the way of feedback)H2O
12-07-2011, 05:16 PM   #22

I enjoyed it, thanks for sharing your thoughts on BB! I'm a musician too and we have a good music store now in our local BB. I like them even better than Guitar Center. The most important thing BB can do is have qualified people working there, not a person that works in TVs and appliances also working in cameras that only has limited knowledge.
12-07-2011, 08:53 PM   #23

QuoteOriginally posted by seejaygee Quote
I enjoyed it, thanks for sharing your thoughts on BB! I'm a musician too and we have a good music store now in our local BB. I like them even better than Guitar Center. The most important thing BB can do is have qualified people working there, not a person that works in TVs and appliances also working in cameras that only has limited knowledge.
I really would like to see someone in our store be the musician to call upon but unfortunately, despite the growth in that area of the store, what with all the new cables and amps and gizmos, its still a relatively limited market and certainly not one that I get frequently asked about.

12-11-2011, 06:45 AM   #24

If I remember correctly, a few years ago the Best Buy in my area was carrying the *istD and K-10 at one point. After that, no Pentax. I wonder what changed? The specs and size alone of the K-5 would make many not buy a Nikon or Canon.
12-11-2011, 10:27 AM   #25
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by t3swept Quote
I wonder what changed?
Hoya?
12-14-2011, 11:05 AM   #26
m8o
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Colbyt Quote
Best Buy online and in the retail stores in larger metro areas are now selling Pentax cameras and lenses.
Is this something new that I missed before or did it just happen. Our local stores are not stocking but the Louisville store is stocking.
They had the K10D on sale back in 2007 when I was shopping for it (just read someone pointed out they even had the *istD). I do recall Pentax disappeared from BestBuy stores at various points in the past. Good to hear they're back and/or avail whenever I hear it.

Pentax really needs to do something about their name recognition tho. Still makes me laugh every time someone sees my Pentax and thinks it's a new name. That certainly can't help sales in a purely consumer setting.
12-14-2011, 11:12 AM   #27
Loyal Site Supporter

Future shop (a Canadian division of Best Buy) did carry Pentax. the last model was the kx. they never picked up the K7, they started carrying them with the release of the *ist ds (which is where i bought mine since i worked there at the time). only carried crap add on lenses in store (Sigma 50-200, Pentax 50-200 and the af 360 flash. may have had a couple of lenses like the 16-45 online) . I can't remember if the had the K20 but they did have the K10 and the K100, the DL the DL2, and the K200 i believe at various points.
01-02-2012, 01:20 AM   #28

I wish my Best Buy carried Pentax. They actually carry some very nice higher end cameras and lenses. They have the Canon 60D, 7D and 5D. They also have the Nikon, D90 and D7000. I would love to see them stocking the K-5 and some Pentax lenses.
01-02-2012, 07:46 AM   #29

Photos: Albums
Having worked for Best Buy for a number of years I an pretty much assure you that Pentax will not make the shelves. It is a matter of brand name. Pentax has no national advertizing which is a must in Best Buy's decision making on what to carry on their shelves. The current inventory of Canon and Nikon higher end cameras is a holiday only event. As soon as the inventory is gone you will see that entire locked display case disappear and the only DSLRs will be on the low end EOS and Nikon 3100 and 5100. They will join the pedestal mounted point and shoot display.

My hope is that Pentax (Ricoh now) decides to invest in a larger presence on Amazon and focus on one well known online retailer such as B&H or Adorama. Their own online store is pathetic and will never compete for a large share of business. We Pentax users (I have 3 bodies and 11 lens) know the value of Pentax - why is that not enough for a national advertizing campaign..
01-02-2012, 02:13 PM   #30

QuoteOriginally posted by TimB5388 Quote
Having worked for Best Buy for a number of years I an pretty much assure you that Pentax will not make the shelves. It is a matter of brand name. Pentax has no national advertizing which is a must in Best Buy's decision making on what to carry on their shelves. The current inventory of Canon and Nikon higher end cameras is a holiday only event. As soon as the inventory is gone you will see that entire locked display case disappear and the only DSLRs will be on the low end EOS and Nikon 3100 and 5100. They will join the pedestal mounted point and shoot display.

My hope is that Pentax (Ricoh now) decides to invest in a larger presence on Amazon and focus on one well known online retailer such as B&H or Adorama. Their own online store is pathetic and will never compete for a large share of business. We Pentax users (I have 3 bodies and 11 lens) know the value of Pentax - why is that not enough for a national advertizing campaign..

Wrong. On several points. Color coded to avoid a lengthy quoted mess.

It's not a brand name thing. We carry plenty of Pentax cameras on our website and have Casio, Vivitar, and a few other smaller brands in store.

Best Buy doesn't look at what commercials are on. They look at what is selling. The cameras they feel have the best odds make it to the stores. Also I believe some spots are sold off to retailers- like Sony will buy X-number of spots for P&S cameras.

I don't know about your Best Buy, but ours has had models up to the D7000 and Canon 7D on display and carried in store for many, many months now. A nearby store even has the 5D MKII on display. Now I am, in a more populated suburban area, so that may have something to do it, but like hell my store is going to give up the sweet DSLR display system and glass case for put mounting them on a stand like Target does. Which are consumers more likely to buy from, a store that treats DSLRs like P&S or by one that puts them on their own display with a glass case of lenses to experiment with.

Pentax's online store is not meant to compete with other guys. Pentax doesn't want to be in the online sales business. They are in the camera business. They are not the only ones that have a website that lists things at or close to full MSRP. Some people just feel better from buying from the manufacturer directly- hence why they added that.

Furthermore, Best Buy has carried several Pentax refurbished bodies on their website for very cheap. About 4 months ago, I saw a K10D go for $220. Not bad at all.

Also, at my Best Buy, we have a display for Sony's WX9 point and shoot camera. The camera is practically impossible to find now and is in the process of being discontinued but I cannot tell you how often that end cap draws attention. A flashing LCD computer screen showing off "oooh, 3d panoramic pictures, 5x zoom!" It generates interest, like a good sign should do. This where I think Ricoh can make the biggest ground- and besides, they said they'd invest more into market presence. Lets be patient.

As far as what we should do as sales people is find people solutions. We know cameras better then they do, so we need to listen and chime in when we need to with suggestions. I recommend the Pentax K-r when someone is looking for ease of use, affordability and something to get started with. Handsomely I recommend it. But I can also recommend the Nikon seeing as their sibling may have a number of Nikon lenses, or that they have friends who have Canons so they can feel like they can relate. My job is to find what works best for my customers. It is true though, for every 100 Canon or Nikon SLRs I sell, I sell 1 Pentax.