Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-06-2011, 06:03 AM   #136
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
Photokina 2012 is from 18th to 23rd September.
Your correct My error
BFI the marketing arm of Photokina runs in February (it's an excuse for marketing guys to go to germany and drink beer and discuss why we need a Q for instance )

12-06-2011, 11:34 AM   #137
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by LXNights Quote
if this is true, i wish they hadn't discontinued the K-r until they had another body ready to go. I've come to recognize that when pentax is very quiet for a prolonged period of time, something is in the works. Hope it's a good one.
Ditto. I was planning to downgrade from my K-5 (don't ask why) but if K-r is going with no news of whats to come next...
12-06-2011, 12:35 PM   #138
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by elho_cid Quote
This doesn't have to mean anything wrong. They do not have capacity to produce 4 different DSLR at a time, so to produce new model, they must stop making an old one first.
I imaging Pentax produces bodies and lenses in batches. Therefore, I doubt they would have to discontinue one of 2 dSLR aps-c bodies to make room for a new dSLR.
12-06-2011, 12:36 PM   #139
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
Your correct My error
BFI the marketing arm of Photokina runs in February (it's an excuse for marketing guys to go to germany and drink beer and discuss why we need a Q for instance )
I can send them a Lens Road Map of where to position the Q.

12-06-2011, 03:42 PM   #140

To their credit, Pentax made sure that the Pentax Q had enough lenses when it was released. What is it, something like 7? Meanwhile the Nikon J1 just has 3 lens options.

I wonder if Pentax will support their compact system camera with continued development? Obviously they don't need to do something now, the Q just got a nice little price drop, but maybe in 2013 a new body can come out with a new set of lenses to go with the old ones. Would be neat.
12-06-2011, 03:47 PM   #141
Site Supporter

Great, I hope Ricoh announces some replacement for the K-r soon. This is rather sudden given that the K-r hasn't even been out particularly long (the K-5 has been out longer). If they don't, I'm going to be rather concerned about their plans for the Pentax DSLR (not mirrorless) line.

Well, I'm concerned already, I need to send my K-5 in for repair because buttons are falling off it (works beautifully still, though)!
12-06-2011, 11:19 PM   #142
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by WillWeaverRVA Quote
Great, I hope Ricoh announces some replacement for the K-r soon. This is rather sudden given that the K-r hasn't even been out particularly long (the K-5 has been out longer). If they don't, I'm going to be rather concerned about their plans for the Pentax DSLR (not mirrorless) line.

Well, I'm concerned already, I need to send my K-5 in for repair because buttons are falling off it (works beautifully still, though)!
they surely will keep their intentions under their hat until after Christmas.
12-07-2011, 06:23 PM   #143
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Kryscendo Quote
To their credit, Pentax made sure that the Pentax Q had enough lenses when it was released. What is it, something like 7? Meanwhile the Nikon J1 just has 3 lens options.
2 if you don't count the 3 "toy" lenses But I'll give you that.

Ricoh has been assuring us that their focus will remain on the DSLR lineup, so let's home that come Jan or Feb we hear something definitive.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

12-07-2011, 06:34 PM   #144
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by calculator01 Quote
I can't be caught using a discontinued camera. Guess I will go buy a K5 now.
My poor little K-x. You've hurt it's feelings! It's sitting here now feeling so antiquated and dowdy. I had to pat it and say "Now now a true classic (particularly one clothed in basic black) never goes out of fashion and you my little darling are a classic camera in the making!" I think I mollified it a bit but it's still sitting here just pouting! (wink) T'aint so I tell you. I protest! My K-x is still the epitome of the word "chic!" and we don't care that it's discontinued, not one bit!
12-08-2011, 03:01 AM   #145
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by magkelly Quote
I protest! My K-x is still the epitome of the word "chic!" and we don't care that it's discontinued, not one bit!
agree !!! even if my heart is now balancing between a K5 and the Tammy 70-200/2.8 ...
12-12-2011, 01:34 PM   #146
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
Pentax K-r Discontinued - Pentax Camera News & Rumors - PentaxForums.com

Adam

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

12-12-2011, 01:57 PM   #147

What will be pentax's entry level dslr replacement? Companys rarely discontinue a model without announcing its replacement first. Is pentax going out of buisness? I have invested heavily in pentax cameras for 30 years. I am seriously thinking about investing in a new camera system, sony, canon or nikon. I am very very seriously tired of waiting for pentax to get their act together. My pentax K5 is a good camera the ricoh gxr series is not up to a professional level (their junk).
12-12-2011, 02:36 PM   #148

QuoteOriginally posted by tgclark56 Quote
What will be pentax's entry level dslr replacement? Companys rarely discontinue a model without announcing its replacement first. Is pentax going out of buisness? I have invested heavily in pentax cameras for 30 years. I am seriously thinking about investing in a new camera system, sony, canon or nikon. I am very very seriously tired of waiting for pentax to get their act together. My pentax K5 is a good camera the ricoh gxr series is not up to a professional level (their junk).
Oh for the love of...

First off, it isn't "Official" until Pentax puts out a Press Release. We can speculate that the K-r has been discontinued based on what two large online suppliers tell us what they were allegedly told. Unless we have sources for those, it is just gossip. Sorry, this is totally semantics, but it irks me infinitely as a former journalism major.

Second, why are you asking us what will be the new Pentax SLR? Nobody here has foresight. Pentax wasn't bought by Ricoh to just be shut down. You wouldn't buy a TV to dismantle it. For someone who says they have been with Pentax for 30 years, you sure are impatient.

How about you go out and take pictures to pass the time?
12-12-2011, 05:30 PM   #149
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
Pentax doesn't exactly publish press releases in a timely manner whenever they discontinue an item...if you want, e-mail them and you'll hear the same from them as you did from us.

Adam

12-12-2011, 06:26 PM   #150
Pentaxian

For those who didn't read the comments to the article on the Forum front page:

Two possible (however unlikely they may be) explanations:

1.) The reported focus problems cannot be fixed in software. Better to cut K-r sales now before the brand's reputation is damaged further. I will gladly accept the flames that will arise, along the lines of "only a few", "entirely overblown", "every model has its problems", etc. Although the latter is more likely to be "every model has it's problems". Sigh ...

2.) Pentax scheduled manufacturing based on the assumption that sufficient inventory would remain to cover the holiday season. And turned out to be wrong as sales picked up unexpectedly. I doubt that they can decide in November to blast out another batch of bodies/lenses/packaging/etc. and get them in dealers' hands world-wide by early December.

As I see it, neither suggest that sales were languishing.

I will not accept that even the maladroit Pentax planners of history would arrange things to run out of inventory in December. But perhaps the ghost of Christmas past has returned for an encore .....

PS: Sony took this same path earlier this year, IIRC. The interval to the new announcement was small. But it certainly wasn't at the peak of the year's spend-what-you'd-like-to-think-you-have period.

Last edited by glanglois; 12-12-2011 at 07:23 PM.