Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-12-2011, 06:50 PM   #151
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
FWIW NewEgg still has some...body only and the kit with 55-300/18-55. Funny thing is the K5 disappeared from their inventory quite some time ago...maybe 2-3 months or longer IIRC.

12-12-2011, 07:29 PM   #152
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by bogiesbad Quote
FWIW NewEgg still has some...body only and the kit with 55-300/18-55. Funny thing is the K5 disappeared from their inventory quite some time ago...maybe 2-3 months or longer IIRC.
Doom. Sky plummeting earthward. The Rift is opening. Et cetera.

Although if the price does the same thing, I might be tempted to invest for a second body - I shoot with two anyway in certain situations. (Sadly, that approach does not double my ratio of keepers. Which approaches zero asymptotically anyway. )
12-12-2011, 11:25 PM   #153
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote

CES Is Jan 10-13 this January so I imagine we will see a number of announcements there
)
PMA 2012 is also on at the same time as the CES (displacing the adult entertainment show... boo hoo), so I'd be very surprised if there were no new Pentax announcements by then.
12-12-2011, 11:54 PM   #154
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K-r at $499... I wonder how low will old new stocks of the K-x will sell now. And with no official word from Ricoh, things sure look shaky. Or at least suspenseful!

12-13-2011, 04:04 AM   #155
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Alizarine Quote
K-r at $499... I wonder how low will old new stocks of the K-x will sell now. And with no official word from Ricoh, things sure look shaky. Or at least suspenseful!
I wouldn't fret.

Ricoh didn't spend over US$100,000,000 for nothing. I see Pentax under Ricoh in a very positive light.

$499 for a K-r is a great deal:

pentax k-r - Adorama.com

What will follow will be better, at a higher price. Take your pick.
12-13-2011, 06:32 AM   #156
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by glanglois Quote
For those who didn't read the comments to the article on the Forum front page:

Two possible (however unlikely they may be) explanations:

1.) The reported focus problems cannot be fixed in software. Better to cut K-r sales now before the brand's reputation is damaged further. I will gladly accept the flames that will arise, along the lines of "only a few", "entirely overblown", "every model has its problems", etc. Although the latter is more likely to be "every model has it's problems". Sigh ...

2.) Pentax scheduled manufacturing based on the assumption that sufficient inventory would remain to cover the holiday season. And turned out to be wrong as sales picked up unexpectedly. I doubt that they can decide in November to blast out another batch of bodies/lenses/packaging/etc. and get them in dealers' hands world-wide by early December.

(...).
You did not mention a third possibility: the successor to K-r was due to be presented in September, like its predecessors (September 2011: K-r - September 2010: K-x - September 2009: K-m / K2000), but Ricoh decided to cancel the launch for whatever reason, including disappointing K-r sales (which is definitely the case in France, as confirmed by Pentax France representatives) and successor not innovative enough.
12-13-2011, 06:43 AM   #157
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
You did not mention a third possibility: the successor to K-r was due to be presented in September, like its predecessors (September 2011: K-r - September 2010: K-x - September 2009: K-m / K2000), but Ricoh decided to cancel the launch for whatever reason, including disappointing K-r sales (which is definitely the case in France, as confirmed by Pentax France representatives) and successor not innovative enough.
If it was true that the K-r successor was canceled, then I doubt Ricoh would discontinue the K-r.
12-13-2011, 06:50 AM - 1 Like   #158
Loyal Site Supporter

Maybe Ricoh also needs to recall the Tungsten-unaware and crippled K-rs from existing customers - give them their money back.

12-13-2011, 07:26 AM   #159
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by DeadJohn Quote
If it was true that the K-r successor was canceled, then I doubt Ricoh would discontinue the K-r.
Might not be cancelled; might simply be deferred. Occam's razor applies.

Ricoh/Pentax may have decided to defer the launch and spend another few months on developments to improve the new body's competitive position or to wait until one or more components become available in sufficient quantity. Electronics manufacturing has taken quite a hit this year. And Ricoh may want a more competitive product than Hoya was willing to settle for. Low K-r sales may create an urgency (in Ricoh's mind) to deliver more than the market expects or more than Pentax had in mind.

The above would be good news!
12-13-2011, 07:34 AM   #160
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by glanglois Quote
Might not be cancelled; might simply be deferred. Occam's razor applies.

Ricoh/Pentax may have decided to defer the launch and spend another few months on developments to improve the new body's competitive position or to wait until one or more components become available in sufficient quantity. Electronics manufacturing has taken quite a hit this year. And Ricoh may want a more competitive product than Hoya was willing to settle for. Low K-r sales may create an urgency (in Ricoh's mind) to deliver more than the market expects or more than Pentax had in mind.

The above would be good news!
the logical explanation is likely a combination of things.
the floods impacting the production of the planned sensor
the target takeover date of oct 1 delaying a septembeer announcement
due to delays perhaps ricoh decided to have another look at the design and add their 2 cents
12-16-2011, 03:32 AM   #161
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Pardon my ignorance ...

... but what is this thread discussing?

There is plenty of supply still for the K-r (at least in Germany, where e.g., at least two dozen online shops list the K-r black body as on-stock or 2-3 days available, the same holds true for my local retailer). So, there seems to be no shortage of K-r for the holiday season in Europe or Japan, the two markets which currently make Pentax live.

Also, the price doesn't seem to drop really. 450 Euro (19% VAT included) may be close to the US price. But I purchased my K-m new at launch for 350 Euro at my local store ...

So, I think what must be going on is pretty obvious. There is a successor model in the works and production lines are busy with something else (not necessarily, but possibly, the successor). So, they use the xmas season to clear inventory. That's pretty standard practice IMHO. It would imply sealed lips until inventory runs low which may happen early next year.
12-16-2011, 03:49 AM   #162
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
Pardon my ignorance ...

-
-
-
-So, they use the xmas season to clear inventory. That's pretty standard practice IMHO. It would imply sealed lips until inventory runs low which may happen early next year.
I very much agree. Announcing a successor to the K-r before it is ready would jeopardize existing sales without creating any new business. (I come from the electronics industry myself and know how sour things can turn if.......)
12-16-2011, 04:27 AM   #163
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
Pardon my ignorance ...

This thread is about evil fantasies, will-of-the-wisps, nightmares, misinformation, rampant paranoia, and bedbugs. This thread is not about reality. Except maybe the bedbugs, which I fortunately haven't encountered for many decades. But the forum now has three distinct threads discussing a not-yet-official discontinuation. Consider these threads to be amateur vaporware.
12-16-2011, 07:02 AM   #164
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Maybe lots of people react because this is normal way of doing business.
Pentax is rather known for abnormal way of doing.
01-07-2012, 01:52 AM   #165

I was waiting for my K-r loooooooooong time but finally I found one in Germany from where it was sent to Greece.
-and YES the manual is in German hehe thank God there is internet!-

I also think it's a great camera at a great price!
Someone told me that Pentax had a problem with the production of K-r because of a flood...somewhere...... I really have no clue what the talked about but anyway.

I was also thinking about K5 but 900something euros is a bit much for a student like me heh!