Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-09-2012, 07:22 PM   #181
Pentaxian

Curiouser and curiouser. Is it that Pentax HQ is allocating bodies by continent with America losing its allocation first? Or do local distributors like Pentax Europe and Pentax USA decide the amount that they will order and have to live with the consequences?

In the latter case, Ned may have underestimated demand and was caught being conservative when demand didn't diminish as expected. In the former case, Europe has been a better market than America for Pentax and gets the better allocation. That would be especially true if Pentax can maintain margins better in Europe.

Does anyone know how Pentax distribution works behind the scenes?

01-09-2012, 08:45 PM   #182
Inactive Account

I don't, but I do know when I looked at B&H for a Pentax today, K-r isn't even listed in any way shape or form except "DISCONTINUED".

Nothing, nadda, zilch. No more. Game over. Dead. Missing. Out of production. Retired. No longer being produced. Extinct. Gone. Disappeared. Zero. Out of Stock. The End. Goodbye.
01-10-2012, 02:51 AM   #183
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by glanglois Quote
I've heard a bit of it : after the kind of fail of the K7 in Europe, Pentax Japan change the company that was in charge of retailers across.

Since the K-x, Pentax and it's retailer started to do some "unofficial" adds on the web, Facebook, youtube, etc ...

Few months later, Pentax start doing some adds in magazines, essentially. It was kind of fun : i bought sometime some photo magazine, and in it you could see a comparaison of the K-x with some Canikon bodies, the K-x was told to be better, and few pages after that you could see an adds "Pentax, be interesting".

Since that, the Pentax marketing keep growing, but is faaaaar away from the big two or even sony and oly.
01-10-2012, 06:21 AM   #184
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by glanglois Quote
Curiouser and curiouser. Is it that Pentax HQ is allocating bodies by continent with America losing its allocation first? Or do local distributors like Pentax Europe and Pentax USA decide the amount that they will order and have to live with the consequences?

In the latter case, Ned may have underestimated demand and was caught being conservative when demand didn't diminish as expected. In the former case, Europe has been a better market than America for Pentax and gets the better allocation. That would be especially true if Pentax can maintain margins better in Europe.

If it's like the other japanese companies I've dealt with in the past (no reason to believe otherwise) they different divisions would forecast consumption for their markets and place advance orders up to a year out based on those forecasts. manufacturing would be planned around the various worldwide demands. sometimes one market does better than another and then redistribution of future deliveries can happen. From the looks of it on the Kr I think all markets saw very good demand so there was nothing to move allocations around last fall. Couple that with delays in the new model (for whatever reason but for certain due to Sensor supply) and you have the current scenario.
If Ned's people had forecast the apparent growth curve+ say 5% which would mean remaining quantities now, then it's quite possible Japan looked and said your over optimistic and lowered it. (I've seen that happen with Panasonic and Sony in the past)
Hopefully we hear something this week otherwise we will be waiting for CP+ next month

01-10-2012, 12:30 PM   #185
Veteran Member

Today Pentax USA website had the K-r in both red and black listed along with the K-5. I didn't click on purchase to see what shows up in my cart. I didn't see the 645D listed at Pentax USA website.
01-10-2012, 01:17 PM   #186
Inactive Account

Pentax USA also lists the discontinued K-7 for sale. Of course, this doesn't mean that K-7 is still a current product my friend. It does me though, that Pentax has some back stock.
01-10-2012, 01:44 PM   #187
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ScreamingIdiot Quote
Pentax USA also lists the discontinued K-7 for sale. Of course, this doesn't mean that K-7 is still a current product my friend. It does me though, that Pentax has some back stock.

Yes, I forgot the K-7. It sounds odd and also that they had too many K-7's in stock after the K-5 was released. This time it looks like they didn't have enough K-r's or at least at B&H. Maybe B&H knows something about a future Pentax camera and didn't want to have too many K-r's in stock when the new camera is announced.

Dave
01-10-2012, 02:10 PM   #188
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by DaveBlack Quote
Yes, I forgot the K-7. It sounds odd and also that they had too many K-7's in stock after the K-5 was released. This time it looks like they didn't have enough K-r's or at least at B&H. Maybe B&H knows something about a future Pentax camera and didn't want to have too many K-r's in stock when the new camera is announced.

Dave
it's more than possible the biggest US dealer has known for some time what is coming - at least at the senior buyer level. I'm pretty certain the henry's camera senior buyer in Canada knows something as well. that's the norm.