Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 8 Likes Search this Thread
11-22-2011, 09:54 AM   #1
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pentax K-r completely discontinued

(you may want to read earlier discussion here first: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-k-r-forum/166053-pentax-k-r-discontinued.html)

I just spoke with my contact at B&H and they said that the K-r has been completely discontinued.

He said that there's still a sizeable quantity of cameras in stock, but once they're gone, they're gone. For me this is a little hard to believe, but if it's true, then something new's gotta be in the works, right?

11-22-2011, 10:19 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
it's kind of strange.

Maybe with the takeover, Ricoh want to be sure the new body will be very good, and delayed it.

It can make sense because Pentax was supposed to show a new body at the "Salon de la Photo" in Paris, France, in september or october. Pentax didn't, arguying it was a "mistake" !

If Pentax can release it before christmas it can be really wonderful !
11-22-2011, 10:21 AM   #3
Veteran Member

I'm not surprised Adam, it is well past a replacement date at this point. I would not be surprised to see an announcement of more than one model in the not to distant future
This is a really good time to discontinue. high retail demand clears out the old stock so the new comes in clean. Maybe the replacement will have the K5 sensor (damn that could get me to downgrade from my K7 at the right price)
Ricoh has hinted about big plans, maybe we'll see a mass Ricoh-Pentax launch in January with MILC, 2 APS-C bodies and a FF. that would certainly make an impact
11-22-2011, 10:23 AM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by aurele Quote
it's kind of strange.

Maybe with the takeover, Ricoh want to be sure the new body will be very good, and delayed it.

It can make sense because Pentax was supposed to show a new body at the "Salon de la Photo" in Paris, France, in september or october. Pentax didn't, arguying it was a "mistake" !

If Pentax can release it before christmas it can be really wonderful !
Pretty short for christmas. Ideally you want to be in store by Black Friday. Margin wise though a post Black Friday launch has a big benefit (at least for North America since most Canadian retailers react to Black Friday pricing now that the $ is at par or so)

11-22-2011, 10:25 AM   #5
Banned

Photos: Gallery
Well it could be just K-s (or something) wich would be just a little upgrade to the K-r with the 16 megapixel sensor (only 12-bit) from K-5.

Could also be a new direction and completely new product without mirror addressing to that market.
11-22-2011, 10:28 AM   #6
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
A k-5 super and something new for the intro level market would definitely be a step in the right direction...guess we'll have to wait and see.
11-22-2011, 10:29 AM   #7
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
Ricoh has hinted about big plans, maybe we'll see a mass Ricoh-Pentax launch in January with MILC, 2 APS-C bodies and a FF. that would certainly make an impact
Well in that story (fairytale) I would trow in 645D Super and some lenses for all systems.

11-22-2011, 10:35 AM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
A k-5 super and something new for the intro level market would definitely be a step in the right direction...guess we'll have to wait and see.
Please no K-5 super but a K-3 which will trounce the K-5 in all aspects.
11-22-2011, 10:35 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
Well it could be just K-s (or something) wich would be just a little upgrade to the K-r with the 16 megapixel sensor (only 12-bit) from K-5.

Could also be a new direction and completely new product without mirror addressing to that market.
I think a Ks is likely as you described, but I imagine there is an APS-C mirrorless around the corner as well, and a K3 (or whatever the 24mp K5 will be) so if they also go FF (or APS-H for you Ron) there could well be 4 new cameras in the wings. There has been some movement on K5 pricing (we've seen under $1000 more than once now in Canada) and it is close to it's replacement schedule.
They certainly seem to be better at keeping a lid on upcoming product than anyone else. That was why I thought a January launch of 4 cameras is a possibility (NEW Cameras New Company with 60 years of heritage ....blah blah blah type idea) Certainly Ricoh has the cash and seems to be moving into advertising positions with the new york times last week, and sponsoring the new under dog in the french premiere league (Dijon FC who were just promoted)
I think there is some good advertising to be had from an underdog (Pentax) pairing with an up and coming underdog (DFC) Synchronicity happening there
11-22-2011, 10:51 AM   #10
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
I think a Ks is likely as you described, but I imagine there is an APS-C mirrorless around the corner as well, and a K3 (or whatever the 24mp K5 will be) so if they also go FF (or APS-H for you Ron) there could well be 4 new cameras in the wings. There has been some movement on K5 pricing (we've seen under $1000 more than once now in Canada) and it is close to it's replacement schedule.
They certainly seem to be better at keeping a lid on upcoming product than anyone else. That was why I thought a January launch of 4 cameras is a possibility (NEW Cameras New Company with 60 years of heritage ....blah blah blah type idea) Certainly Ricoh has the cash and seems to be moving into advertising positions with the new york times last week, and sponsoring the new under dog in the french premiere league (Dijon FC who were just promoted)
I think there is some good advertising to be had from an underdog (Pentax) pairing with an up and coming underdog (DFC) Synchronicity happening there
Digital Fullframe Camera
That would explain the new sponsoring
11-22-2011, 10:52 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Digital Fullframe Camera
That would explain the new sponsoring
BWahahaahaaa nice one
11-22-2011, 10:56 AM   #12
Veteran Member

I think this could be a distinct possibility.
11-22-2011, 11:02 AM   #13
Veteran Member

A bit strange to discontinue the camera just before christmas shopping season. But if they're also reducing the K-5 price now, so perhaps they plan to make it the new entry level model and a new one above it should come sooner or later.
11-22-2011, 11:11 AM   #14
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Raffwal Quote
But if they're also reducing the K-5 price now, so perhaps they plan to make it the new entry level model and a new one above it should come sooner or later.
The K-5 for entry-level? That is an interesting idea. That needs some nice new camera's above it. I can see APS-H as mid-level and Full Frame as top-level.
11-22-2011, 11:12 AM - 1 Like   #15
Site Supporter

For the record, the K-r is a great camera at a great price, and I hope whatever replaces it will provide similarly excellent value.