Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-22-2011, 11:21 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
This doesn't have to mean anything wrong. They do not have capacity to produce 4 different DSLR at a time, so to produce new model, they must stop making an old one first.

11-22-2011, 11:24 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Is there precedent for Pentax to discontinue a current model without having announced a replacement? Seems kinda a bassackwards way of doing things, but what do I know.
11-22-2011, 11:43 AM   #18
Veteran Member

WOW I just got my k-r last saturday...
11-22-2011, 12:01 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Factoid: Pentax has discontinued the great Kr.
Factoid: No replacement has been announced.
Speculation: Everything else that's been said.
Is speculating more fun than photographing?

11-22-2011, 12:09 PM   #20
Veteran Member

I think the big hit now will be the time laps between diminishing stock of a great little K-r and the stock of the next released camera to hit the shelves.. the camera's announcement itself can have little impact unless it's heads and tails better than it's competition... people can't buy what isn't there.
11-22-2011, 12:18 PM - 1 Like   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Philoslothical Quote
Seems kinda a bassackwards way of doing things, but what do I know.
Not from the retailers viewpoint. I spent 30 years in retail and the worst nightmare is to have a manufacturer announce a nice new shiny product while you have a lot of the nice OLD shiny product still on the shelves.

If a new camera is in the works this is the proper way to do it. Announce some rebates and other incentives and give the retailers a heads-up that the model will be discontinued to give them time to clear the inventory. Makes the retailers a lot more eager (and financially able) to bring in new things if they are not stuck with the old. Note that only B&H has hinted that the k-r is discontinued. As of this morning Adorama and Amazon both list it as "in stock" and there has not been any official announcement from Pentax. My guess is the retailers got advanced warning but were not necessarily supposed to tell the world until their inventory was clear. We do not know how many units are still in the pipeline but this is the right time of year to clear all that out.

Sounds like great marketing to me.
11-22-2011, 12:21 PM   #22
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
If a new camera is in the works this is the proper way to do it. Announce some rebates and other incentives and give the retailers a heads-up that the model will be discontinued to give them time to clear the inventory. Makes the retailers a lot more eager (and financially able) to bring in new things if they are not stuck with the old. Note that only B&H has hinted that the k-r is discontinued. As of this morning Adorama and Amazon both list it as "in stock" and there has not been any official announcement from Pentax. My guess is the retailers got advanced warning but were not necessarily supposed to tell the world until their inventory was clear. We do not know how many units are still in the pipeline but this is the right time of year to clear all that out.

And there was some news for retailers prior to this thread!

11-22-2011, 12:37 PM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
Not from the retailers viewpoint. I spent 30 years in retail and the worst nightmare is to have a manufacturer announce a nice new shiny product while you have a lot of the nice OLD shiny product still on the shelves.

Plus 1 on this 25 years of CE retail and it used to drive me nuts. some companies are much better at holding the price line than others. Sony used to be this way, but i'm not sure they still are
11-22-2011, 12:39 PM   #24
Pentaxian

Well, there's your "gap in the market." Plug away, Ricoh!
11-22-2011, 12:49 PM   #25
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
A k-5 super and something new for the intro level market would definitely be a step in the right direction...guess we'll have to wait and see.
Well, i just hope they wont wait 3 more month to replace this widely applauded entry level product... or they shall miss something important for the label and "year-junction" income.
11-22-2011, 12:53 PM - 1 Like   #26
Veteran Member

I bet they will try and make the Q their "entry level" product.. stepping up to a K-5, then maybe K-3 and K-Y(FF or APS-H).. K-Y because it'll be sexy.
11-22-2011, 01:32 PM   #27
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Philoslothical Quote
Is there precedent for Pentax to discontinue a current model without having announced a replacement? Seems kinda a bassackwards way of doing things, but what do I know.
Yes. Diminishing stock is the general pattern before a new model is announced. Announcing the new model kills sales of existing stock, so it makes sense that they'd want to do it that way, but of course there's a lot of lost potential sales in cutting it too close.
11-22-2011, 01:41 PM   #28
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mattdm Quote
Yes. Diminishing stock is the general pattern before a new model is announced. Announcing the new model kills sales of existing stock, so it makes sense that they'd want to do it that way, but of course there's a lot of lost potential sales in cutting it too close.
Well the best time to do it is when demand is high if there are sufficient stocks remaining. Typically in CE a lot of items go clearance directly after christmas with new items hitting the shelves by February (January is a very soft month by the time returns come out of sales). I remember January and early February as being very tight times for stock and selection in most categories. Hopefully there are enough Kr's kicking around the supply chain to cover sales potential until the new model launch.
At this point there isn't a lot to be had by rushing a new model to market because it will hit shelves to late to take full advantage and it will lose value in the new year.
11-22-2011, 01:52 PM   #29
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
Factoid: Pentax has discontinued the great Kr.
Factoid: No replacement has been announced.
Speculation: Everything else that's been said.
Is speculating more fun than photographing?
When your at work, chained behind a desk, yes it is
11-22-2011, 01:57 PM   #30
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

For those of us who follow the Apple Way, the way you know a product update is coming is when the retailer supply becomes "constrained".