Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 8 Likes Search this Thread
11-24-2011, 09:50 AM   #61
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Aura Topp Quote
I hope they are not stopping this model as I hope to buy one next year, is this true?

I'm still trying to save up for this camera.
don't worry, a new one will replace it, and you will still find them plenty almost new on second hand market.

11-24-2011, 10:00 AM   #62
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Aura Topp Quote
I hope they are not stopping this model as I hope to buy one next year, is this true?

I'm still trying to save up for this camera.
It looks like it's around for a bit, but i would bet the replacement is in the wings. I would imagine the replacement will come in not far off the price with some upgrades if history is an indicator so no need to worry
11-24-2011, 11:35 AM   #63

Seen on the pentax facebook page:
"The K-r digital SLR will be available soon exclusively on walmart.com in limited edition pink, purple, blue, green, yellow, navy, metallic brown, gold and silver."

Anyone with a clear idea of what to make from this? this seems to indicate they didn't stop producing the camera?
11-24-2011, 11:59 AM   #64
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Interlink Quote
Seen on the pentax facebook page:
"The K-r digital SLR will be available soon exclusively on walmart.com in limited edition pink, purple, blue, green, yellow, navy, metallic brown, gold and silver."

Anyone with a clear idea of what to make from this? this seems to indicate they didn't stop producing the camera?
there are several threads already on this

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/official-pentax-news/166355-new-pentax-k-...lmart-com.html

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-news-rumors/166379-pentax-wal-mart.html

it actually looks like bh may have jumped the gun on this a bit. Walmart may also have locked up the remaining production (at some point production has to move to new models to have them ready for launch - which is when the pictures will start leaking on the interwebz )

11-24-2011, 03:38 PM   #65
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by top-quark Quote
So presumably, you don't drive a Toyota MR2.
It's called MR in France, for reasons obvious to those who speak French .
11-24-2011, 03:47 PM   #66
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
It's called MR in France, for reasons obvious to those who speak French .
Merde!
11-24-2011, 06:04 PM   #67

Black and Yellow

Walmart.com: Pentax K-r 12.4MP DSLR Camera Bundle w/ 18-55mm Lens, 3" LCD, HD Video (Assorted Colors) w/ 50 Bonus Prints: Thanksgiving Day Online Specials
$599.99 not bad. K5 prices are to much. Pentax Q is $799.99

11-24-2011, 07:58 PM   #68
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Raffwal Quote
A bit strange to discontinue the camera just before christmas shopping season.
Yeah, really!
11-25-2011, 01:03 AM   #69
Pentaxian

MR2 = "Em-mer-deux" = ... ? Next the Pentax K-k ?

QuoteOriginally posted by top-quark Quote
So presumably, you don't drive a Toyota MR2.
Bonjour,

For those of you who have and/or can find an appropriate French dictionary, look up the word "emmerdeur" to understand this joke ... same pronunciation as "MR2" ...

PS - the 1973 film, "L'Emmerdeur", is really pretty good, worth the watch ... Allez, salut - Jean le Frog

Last edited by Jean Poitiers; 01-07-2012 at 04:50 AM.
11-25-2011, 01:21 AM   #70
Pentaxian

K-r still in supply at Phox Photo - France.

Re-bonjour,

Just FYI - I asked yesterday about this K-r situation at my local French camera store/franchise chain (Phox), and they said there was no "discontinuation" information concerning the K-r ... still in available for their retail sales, etc.

Et voila, salut ... J Frog
11-27-2011, 06:41 AM   #71
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by John Poitiers Quote
Re-bonjour,

Just FYI - I asked yesterday about this K-r situation at my local French camera store/franchise chain (Phox), and they said there was no "discontinuation" information concerning the K-r ... still in available for their retail sales, etc.

Et voila, salut ... J Frog
Just like the new product announcement at the French show was a "mistake".

When my employer asked me to lie on their behalf, I quit.
11-28-2011, 05:12 AM   #72
Pentaxian

wow, I feel happy reading this news - seems like clearing the way for a new release.
11-29-2011, 11:53 PM   #73
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Unsinkable II Quote
It is indeed a great camera, but I hope what replaces it looks better. The K-r was the worst looking Pentax DSLR... it reminded me of a conehead (or for UK readers, the Tefal guys).
I agree. I own a white K-x and love the looks, but I always thought the K-r was a little ugly. The biggest problem is how pointy it is on top, as compared to the kind of swept-back look of the K-x. They also made the body on the K-r a little more angular in general. And I don't think that the addition of the black texture and black USB port cover on the right side helped either. And although some people complained/joked about the chrome stripe running around the K-x, I actually liked it. I think that it divides the body horizontally, making it look less blocky.

Call me shallow if you want, but the fact that I thought that the K-r was rather fugly is one of the reasons I didn't really consider upgrading from my K-x. So I hope they improve the styling on the K-r successor, because if it has all the features of the K-r plus the 16MP sensor from the K-5, I'll be in regardless of how it looks.

11-30-2011, 12:48 AM   #74
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
FWIW I contacted B&H again and they are insisting on the fact that Pentax is telling them that the K-r has been discontinued. Still seems a bit strange to me...

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
11-30-2011, 01:26 AM   #75
Inactive Account

My bet is they will kill the K-5 soon after... I am using my K-x now almost exclusively with Pentax lenses for wildlife. Best little camera I have ever purchased.

Last edited by garyk; 11-30-2011 at 01:36 AM.