Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 8 Likes Search this Thread
11-30-2011, 01:30 AM   #76
Veteran Member

I am not surprised at all. The K-r is over a year old and like Pentax has shown over the last few years with its "entry level" body, is replaced regularly (see the K-m and the K-x). Of course Pentax will release a replacement body, most probably a scaled down version of the K-5 (same sensor, lots of common functionality, non-weather sealed) as it will be due by Spring...and most certainly a K-5 replacement in 2012 as well.

Jason

11-30-2011, 02:10 AM   #77
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Considering how big is B&H i think it's normal that Pentax tell them it is discontinued and not to all other.

Let's empty the stock and show us the new baby
11-30-2011, 02:23 AM   #78
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Yeah.. start dusting them off for $550 with DA 55-300 lens on it... Hell I'd take 2!
11-30-2011, 08:41 AM   #79
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Under normal conditions, I'd certainly expect a new top of the line DSLR from Ricoh Pentax in 2012 (but I'm not clear on what enhancements it would offer.) OTOH, given the possibility of a major global financial melt-down, they might decide to focus their efforts on the more reasonably-priced K-r replacement and the augmentation of the lens line-up.

11-30-2011, 11:06 AM   #80
Veteran Member

It could just be that Sony Thailand plant cannot supply enought sensor because of the flood. Instead they want to keep the volume that they will not produce of K-R for the launch of the next camera building stock. It's standard practice in manufacturing to manage when a crisis like that happen
11-30-2011, 12:08 PM   #81
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by bobmaxja Quote
It could just be that Sony Thailand plant cannot supply enought sensor because of the flood. Instead they want to keep the volume that they will not produce of K-R for the launch of the next camera building stock. It's standard practice in manufacturing to manage when a crisis like that happen
i didn't think it was the Sony sensor Fab plant, i thought it was the actual camera assembly plant
11-30-2011, 01:15 PM   #82
Veteran Member

It's one of their sensor plant
Sony’s Sensor Manufacturing Plant Hit Hard by Thailand Floods

11-30-2011, 01:26 PM   #83
Veteran Member

from the Wall Street Journal - its a sensor assemble plant not a sensor plant - still caused issues but they moved assembly back to japan temporarily

QuoteQuote:
Sony Corp. plans to keep its lucrative image-sensor operations in Japan despite the yen's persistent strength, which is driving electronics makers overseas for better profit margins, a senior executive said Monday.

"Even if manufacturing stays in Japan, [our image sensors] are competitive," Executive Deputy President Hiroshi Yoshioka told reporters at company headquarters in Tokyo.

Mr. Yoshioka said most of Sony's businesses that target corporate clients, including components such as image sensors, are more difficult to move overseas than consumer appliances like television sets because the key technologies that define Sony's components rely on Japanese engineers.

Read more: Sony to Keep Image-Sensor Business in Japan - WSJ.com

But the business has been affected by the recent flooding in Thailand, where Sony has an image-sensor assembly plant. Two of Sony's three Thai factories, including the sensor plant, were damaged.

The company said it is temporarily shifting some of the Thai plant's operations to Japan.

Read more: Sony to Keep Image-Sensor Business in Japan - WSJ.com

Sony to Keep Image-Sensor Business in Japan - WSJ.com
11-30-2011, 01:44 PM   #84
Veteran Member

But that still limit the volume available and that was my points
11-30-2011, 06:44 PM   #85
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
FWIW I contacted B&H again and they are insisting on the fact that Pentax is telling them that the K-r has been discontinued. Still seems a bit strange to me...
With the news that Wallmart is carrying the different colors, how can this be?
11-30-2011, 08:19 PM   #86
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Clinton Quote
With the news that Wallmart is carrying the different colors, how can this be?
Maybe it's a cost effective way for Ricoh/Pentax to clear out multi-coloured Japanese stock before the new entry level model is announced?
11-30-2011, 11:40 PM   #87
Veteran Member

If the K-r is discontinued, someone should tell Pentax Japan about it:

Products | PENTAX

It is not on the discontinued models list there.
12-01-2011, 01:34 PM   #88
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
If the K-r is discontinued, someone should tell Pentax Japan about it
From what I can see on the B&H website only certain SKU's are discontinued. That may mean simply a reduction in the number of different packages being offered at this time. My feeling is that the k-r has a definite end of production date, which we may or may not have passed, but that they are clearing the decks by reducing the different SKU's and trying to clear inventory. Sometimes it is a matter of not wanting to make another run of the packaging or a particular color part. It looks like everything has been discontinued except the single kit lens SKU, and the 2 lens kit with the 55-300mm. Those were almost certainly the best selling SKU's and it makes sense to keep those going but get rid of the slower packages.
12-02-2011, 06:14 AM   #89
Pentaxian

Some news from Pentax Japan:

Twitter

My limited Japanese does not allow me to clearly understand whether:

- December 9, 2011 is the end of the possibility (i) for dealers to order K-rs from Pentax or (ii) for customers to order K-rs from their dealer

- this apply (i) to coloured K-rs only or (ii) to all K-r SKUs and, if (i), whether black (and white?) K-rs were discontinued before December 9, 2011 or will be discontinued at a later stage (i.e. still remain available for order).
12-02-2011, 10:06 AM   #90
Veteran Member

Well google translates it as " I Kr is approaching the end of the service ordered, the color order . I want to soon! the way , will end on 09 December 2011"
see.. clear as mud!