Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 8 Likes Search this Thread
12-02-2011, 04:26 PM   #106
Veteran Member

Again , I am pretty sure this is because of shortage of sensors from Sony as I mention in previous message .When you launch a new model, you need to fill the network and need large quantity of sensor

12-02-2011, 04:57 PM   #107
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Edgar_in_Indy Quote
Well, it's possible that there are a few K-r users who don't fancy themselves "videographers", and would just like to be able to take a casual in-focus video clip of their kids when their kids are moving. Kids do tend to do that occasionally.
Well, that explains a lot. About my photos of the two three-year-old girls unfortunate enough to be my descendants. If they slowed down enough, I could see that they are moving.
12-02-2011, 07:41 PM   #108
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Well, it's possible that there are a few K-r users who don't fancy themselves "videographers", and would just like to be able to take a casual in-focus video clip of their kids when their kids are moving. Kids do tend to do that occasionally.
I'd be surprised if any current DSLR based AF in video could keep up with kids running around. With a little practice AF with a finger isn't that difficult, just choose a lens that has a short throw.

My point was that many don't see it as a feature to leave a system over, but that post was yet another "I'll leave the system over such and such feature." Extra is generally nice to have as long as it doesn't add bloat or extra bulk. In this case it shouldn't as long as the processing system is fast enough.
12-02-2011, 07:50 PM   #109
Veteran Member

I agree, I shoot video's of my kids with my 43ltd and I find it pretty easy to grip with the right hand and adjust focus with my middle finger because the lens is small and has a short enough throw.. oddly I find it a PITA to do the same with my 18-135..
I wonder when Pentax-Ricoh imaging will setup a press announcement next.. their cutting of the K-r line was pretty quiet overall..

12-04-2011, 06:09 AM   #110

im not a videographer either. my main interest is photography but it would be a good feature for me to have. i have a few lenses already so i dont want to switch. but i have my wants/needs so its my choice.
12-04-2011, 04:06 PM   #111
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by sjwaldron Quote
I'd be surprised if any current DSLR based AF in video could keep up with kids running around.
I wouldn't expect the AF system to "keep up" with little people on the move, but it could certainly "catch up" once they light somewhere.

I also do the manual focus thing with the finger on the lens while filming, but judging focus can be hard with the low-resolution screen on my K-x.
12-04-2011, 04:45 PM   #112
Veteran Member

but judging focus can be hard with the low-resolution screen on my K-x.
It's hard enough on the K-r, with its much larger screen, and especially in bright daylight. I've said it before, and I'll say it again: If you want to shoot video comfortably, pick up a $300 video camera. The video function on DSLRs is a bonus, but not a substitute for the proper tool.

12-04-2011, 08:58 PM   #113
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Philoslothical Quote
It's hard enough on the K-r, with its much larger screen, and especially in bright daylight.
Not only is the screen on the K-r larger, but, more importantly, it also has four times as many pixels (921,000 vs 230,000). The low resolution on the K-x is the real problem with judging focus. The K-x/K-r shoot 720p video, which is 720x1280, which equals 921,600 pixels. So the K-r is able to display nearly all the detail of 720p video, assuming your eyes are sharp enough to see it. But with the K-x, you can only tell when the video is approximately in focus. The better screen alone has tempted me to upgrade to the K-r, but at this point I'll just hold off for the new model hoping it has the K-5's sensor.

QuoteOriginally posted by Philoslothical Quote
I've said it before, and I'll say it again: If you want to shoot video comfortably, pick up a $300 video camera.
I know very little about camcorders, but I don't think they can match the shallow depth of field of a DSLR with a fast lens, and from what I've seen video quality is very poor in low light or even regular indoor lighting.
12-04-2011, 10:17 PM   #114
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote

So that whole december 9th date is starting to look realistic as maybe a last shipment date or something like that? I'm not sure what they're thinking discontinuing the K-r before the holiday season...
Has Pentax got a reputation for discontinuing a camera model *before* it has got another in place? I thought they always had the new model announced at the very least (if not released) before discontinuing the older ones. I'm not really that hopeful of seeing a new one to replace the K-r

I'm wondering if this is a death knell for entry level Pentax DSLR and maybe (just maybe) there will be an announcement of a MFT or APS mirrorless to replace it (a la Olympus which has dumped all its entry and mid level DSLR in order to concentrate on the PEN).
12-05-2011, 12:53 AM   #115
Forum Member

Video function of dslr is great, if you want the same IQ and Dof with a camcorder you have to spend a lot more money and I think that all is missing is the manual controls.

The lacks of in video af is ok, to make well done videos AF is useless and counterproductive, all you need is a lcd-viewfinder.
Simply having the manual controls you can do pro videos equipping the dslr with some accessories, lcdVF, camera rig or steadycam, follow focus, external audio recorder etc
12-05-2011, 01:01 AM   #116
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by befocus Quote
all you need is a lcd-viewfinder.
This would probably make a big difference. My main difficulty with it is seeing the screen clearly enough in bright daylight. Converting it to a viewfinder with one of those LCD loupes would probably help a lot.
12-05-2011, 05:44 AM   #117
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by kyteflyer Quote
Has Pentax got a reputation for discontinuing a camera model *before* it has got another in place? I thought they always had the new model announced at the very least (if not released) before discontinuing the older ones. I'm not really that hopeful of seeing a new one to replace the K-r

I'm wondering if this is a death knell for entry level Pentax DSLR and maybe (just maybe) there will be an announcement of a MFT or APS mirrorless to replace it (a la Olympus which has dumped all its entry and mid level DSLR in order to concentrate on the PEN).

You might be quite right, and if this arises it will be very bad news for the K mount ;as the entry level was the one with higher quantities sold, acting as a magnet for new pentaxists - often beginners, entering the market...
Then replacing K-r line by any mirrorless, and i cannot see Ricoh-Pentax have any hope to compete with Canikons as generalist actors. They will be late-commers in this already overcrowded segment, and loose competitive advantage of the long-lasting K mount regardless of continuity and compatibility ...
The dissuasive K-mount lens prices have already worn out a lot of Pentax's affordability thanks to Hoya's policy... so the second-hand market has become an interesting alternative, but can this situation continue without a completely new - but not difficult to engineer - lens roadmap of cheaper products ?

Last edited by Zygonyx; 12-05-2011 at 05:55 AM.
12-05-2011, 06:16 AM   #118
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by kyteflyer Quote

The problems with the Sony sensor plant likely have more to do with it than anything nefarious. It's caused issues for Nikon as well. Pentax probably had so many sensors that were ready to go when the plant got wiped out. That stockpile has likely been depleted. Since the camera was slated for replacement in any case it makes sense to let it go allowing the more limited sensor fabs to focus on making the new sensor the replacement will use. The reason the new model was delayed probably had as much to do with the ownership handover as the flood (notice the D800 still hasn't come out even though buying the D700 is near impossible)

I imagine there is a Milc of some sort in the pipeline (not mft though) but i'd be surprised to see the entry DSLR with K mount go (unless the entry K mount became mirrorrless and there was a Mid and high apsc k mount to complement)
12-05-2011, 07:29 AM   #119
Veteran Member

Not only is the screen on the K-r larger, but, more importantly, it also has four times as many pixels (921,000 vs 230,000). The low resolution on the K-x is the real problem with judging focus. The K-x/K-r shoot 720p video, which is 720x1280, which equals 921,600 pixels. So the K-r is able to display nearly all the detail of 720p video, assuming your eyes are sharp enough to see it.
There is another assumption here, which is unfortunately wrong. You're assuming that the resolution figure for the screen is not a lie, but for reasonable definitions of lie it is. The screen is 640x480 pixels, and then since each pixel has one R, one G and one B component, it gets counted three times, for "1920x480". (Same way sensors are counted, except there's no interpolation of the extra components, so it's less true.)
12-05-2011, 09:46 AM   #120
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by drougge Quote
There is another assumption here, which is unfortunately wrong. You're assuming that the resolution figure for the screen is not a lie, but for reasonable definitions of lie it is. The screen is 640x480 pixels, and then since each pixel has one R, one G and one B component
Well that's a bummer, and is extremely deceptive. So what is the actual resolution of the K-x screen vs the K-r screen?