Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-13-2009, 12:08 PM   #181
ogl
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
maybe Samsung can make non-expensive square sensor...

The main mode is the same - APS-C 14.6 MP - it's K20d in new body with build-in battery pack and with higher speed.
I think that it could be switch to square mode by selector on camera's body or in menu.
I don't see any problem. To launch FF is more risky now.
Sony launched A900 and has a lot of problems with photo division.

02-13-2009, 12:10 PM   #182
ogl
Pentaxian

The area of square sensor is 52% more than APS-C.
02-13-2009, 12:13 PM   #183
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
maybe Samsung can make non-expensive square sensor...

The main mode is the same - APS-C 14.6 MP - it's K20d in new body with build-in battery pack and with higher speed.
I think that it could be switch to square mode by selector on camera's body or in menu.
I don't see any problem. To launch FF is more risky now.
Sony launched A900 and has a lot of problems with photo division.
Maybe if Pentax implemented that Patent for an E.L display in the viewfinder it could superimpose a crop area over the viewfinder and you could use the d-pad to move it around or something?

Anyway, Samsung could make the sensor but I wonder if they could make a square sensor on their current fabrication process? And given that the wafers are round would square sensors waste more space on the wafer and therefore be proportionaly more expensive than a same sized sensor in a 3:2 apsect ratio?
02-13-2009, 12:20 PM   #184
RaduA

QuoteOriginally posted by Caat Quote
Its a very interesting idea but I have a few concerns:

The bigger sensor is going to be costly but explaining the benefit to a potential customer who isn't already a very experienced SLR or DSLR user is going to be tough.

Of course this will be a high end camera with little concern about p&s converts or people too afraid to think outside any box. Buying it it's 100% optional for Pentax fans but it has one advantage: it's unique on the market hence others could be attracted as well!

How will this be represented in the viewfinder? If it isn't then it'll be a touch confusing, especially when shooting in highspeed mode.

I suppose they will provide overlaying guides for "cropped" 3/2 mode and perhaps other ratios. Besides the VF could be bigger and brighter than K20D's helping somehow with framing the shot.

Also, I'm not sure I want 22mp RAW files on my hard disk when I will be cropping almost every shot I take from a square format. I also would want unaltered RAWs but not have to manually adjust or confirm the crop when I process them. How will the crop chosen be represented in the RAW in such a way that I do not have a load of extra processing to do? If you follow me.

Then you haven't read the original post. You can use the camera in "classic" 3/2 - 14.6 Mp with a supposed 5.5 fps and switchable vertical and horizontal mode. The 22Mp mode is optional and up to the user (also if the post is to be believed penalizes the speed to 3.5 fps).

Who will produce such an innovative sensor? Samsung? It sounds commercially risky... and given the times....?

Who else? Why would it be risky or for that matter "innovative" as such? The idea it is but the sensor it's more or less complex at a "micro" level: pixel size, microlenses, circuitry. The size only determines the complexity of the process hence the final yield. It's more than certain a one pass sensor with a good geometrical yield anyway (number on the waffer) and I bet much cheaper to produce than a FF one.

Also this would take some serious R&D time and money - anything left to spend on AF and exposure systems?

IF the camera exists this was a project developed all the past year. The R&D money and stuff will be about the same than for a smaller sensor only the technological challenge for the foundry is different and that must be Samsung's money. Even more if the rumor is correct we already have the proof that major internal changes were made:

1) A new processor capable of 5.5 fps @ 14.6Mp and
2) a new shutter capable of 5.5 fps

It would be plainly insane not to have a 100% new AF system especially for tracking (AF-C) and low light.

Hmmmmmm.......

Indeed!

I am sceptical

I am hopefull!
10 chars and stuff.

Radu

02-13-2009, 12:27 PM   #185
ogl
Pentaxian

I remember that Pentax's top manager said that new sensor will be close to FF in quality and noise.
It seems to me that information about K3D* is close to truth and it could be real information leakage from Pentax.
02-13-2009, 12:27 PM   #186
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RaduA Quote
10 chars and stuff.

Radu
Oh I understand that the camera will discard the rest of the unused space. And I think its a great idea - just that I always like to fiddle a lot with crops ad woud feel that not recording all 22mp would be a waste Its a psychological thing.

Of course P&S upgraders will consider this camera - even if its expensive - but as you say they would not necessarily be the direct target market. My point was that if you spend time composing well to begin with the extra pixels and flexibility become less of a benefit but you still have to pay for them. It could be argued that its a bit gimmicky - you and I know that it isn't but you need to think about it a lot to get there; and many may still see it as such. Its a minor point I know.
02-13-2009, 12:28 PM   #187
ogl
Pentaxian

If K3D* will be real it would be one of the happiest day in my life.

22 MP ~ 4672*4672

Last edited by ogl; 02-13-2009 at 01:00 PM.
02-13-2009, 12:32 PM   #188
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Buddha Jones Quote
Interesting, but I do not have the patience to read the DPReview forum, if that site ever stepped into the 20th century and upgraded the forum software, I would probably troll that site.
You are not alone in that opinion! Mostly that forum is just FF vs APS-C arguing and squirrel talk though.

02-13-2009, 12:33 PM   #189
ogl
Pentaxian

If Radu has no serious doubts, I think it's leak, not rumor.
02-13-2009, 12:48 PM   #190
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
This is exactly what is to be expected from Pentax. Not another 'me-too' camera but something really unique. The idea of a camera that needs to be turned in order to get the frame you want is really outdated - and only a square sensor makes the best use of the image circle of a lens. Imagine a wide-angle zoom like the Pentax-DA 12-24: it will you will get a lot more image with the same lens.

Very, very clever idea and I would buy that camera in a heartbeat.
02-13-2009, 12:57 PM   #191
Pentaxian

I've read enough science fiction that I can suspend more disbelief before breakfast than most do in a lifetime. It keeps life from getting dull.

I just don't make investment decisions while in that state.

Let's go PMA!
02-13-2009, 01:13 PM   #192
Inactive Account

NDA contract

QuoteOriginally posted by benjikan Quote
I'm in NDA land until the Press Conference...Like I said "I saw a UFO really close up..."

Sorry Guys.

Best Wishes
Ben
Ben say it in french I swear not to translate., this should be OK with your contract
P.S. Amazing the set with Vahina Giocante !!!
02-13-2009, 04:24 PM   #193
Veteran Member

About the original poster...unless a camera has already been released, I am fairly sure that they are REQUIRED to cover up any logos. Sorry, I just don't believe it. But I'll be first to apolgoize if you're right...
02-13-2009, 04:35 PM   #194
Pentaxian

Genius ! Simply genius !
02-13-2009, 04:55 PM   #195
Loyal Site Supporter

Hmmm, what I've been hoping for is a bigger, brighter viewfinder. As long as were indulging in wild speculation, I'm going to take this tale as offering hope in that regard.

And what's up with this 'granite' business anyway? You guys have been reading too much ad copy!
Closed Thread