Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-17-2007, 06:26 PM   #1
Inactive Account

NOT RUMOUR - New Pentax DLSR spotted 'in the wild' - very much like a D3

This is what I saw. Last Sunday (at dusk) a very slick wedding photog crew - 3 photogs/1 video op. Two of the photogs had Nikon D3's, and even though the light was low, these things were hammering out shots - like 6 - 8 per second - probably ISO6400 and their 2.8 zooms.

Anyway, the third photog didn't have all the extra camera gear that the Nikon shooters had (shoulder bag thingies) and something around their necks plus headsets - like the CIA :-). He just had a camera which I'd never seen before... The new Pentax ('one' of the new models anyway).

At first I saw the back and thought it could be a D300 with a battery grip, but then I saw the front, with the Pentax logo and a DA* 50-135 on it. Cool! Anyway, all I can tell you is this:

Compared to my K10D, this was what stood out:

It has a big screen at the back.

Couldn't tell if it had a battery grip, or if it was moulded into the body, like the D3.

It was shooting at the same speed as the D3's (or near enough) - very, very fast FPS.

The weirdest bit was this - the D3 shooters were chimping every now and then. But the Pentax shooter didn't chimp once, in the 5 minutes I saw him shoot god knows how many shots, he didn't check a single frame - from the back at least - maybe he was reviewing them in the viewfinder? Don't know. And this guy was the lead photog, he got first dibs at every op, and the others all deferred to him.

If you're wondering why I didn't walk up and go "hey man! cool, is that the new K something?" - you should have seen these guys (and one girl on one of the D3's) - they looked like they were at the end of the longest day of their lives. I've never seen a group of people look less happy making a living. And they were sticking like glue to this very rich looking wedding party - not exactly an opportune time to strike up a conversation.

Wasn't going to post this, because I thought, "what the hell would Pentax be doing, trialing a new camera in Brisbane, Australia?.. nope, I saw what I saw, and the DA*50-135 is a VERY distinctive lens - which I have actually used.

If you think this is fiction, good, because I would if I'd have read this - but I saw what I saw. And I've been seriously considering getting a Nikon D3 for it's FPS and low light ability (starting to sell photos now, and pet photography is where I want to go - so, action shots in poor light are typical) - after seeing what I saw on the weekend, I'm going to put the idea on hold until Pentax anounces their new gear - hopefully, it will be cheaper than Nikons.

12-17-2007, 06:52 PM   #2
Veteran Member

I really want to believe you so I'll choose to believe you

viewfinder previews would be pretty cool and something I'd definitely use when shooting sports so I can keep shooting. As long as you could get rid of the preview right away...

I mean, it's basically confirmed that the cameras are coming, we're just wondering what's going to be that big wow thing in them
12-17-2007, 06:55 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I believe you, why not it could be true. No more fake then all the other rumors. So I will say you are telling the truth.
12-17-2007, 07:00 PM   #4
JMS

So, either he was chimping through the viewfinder-- or he had so much confidence in the camera that he didn't need to chimp.

12-17-2007, 07:01 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Yup a real UFO Identified...

QuoteOriginally posted by 123K10D Quote
This is what I saw. Last Sunday (at dusk) a very slick wedding photog crew - 3 photogs/1 video op. Two of the photogs had Nikon D3's, and even though the light was low, these things were hammering out shots - like 6 - 8 per second - probably ISO6400 and their 2.8 zooms.

Anyway, the third photog didn't have all the extra camera gear that the Nikon shooters had (shoulder bag thingies) and something around their necks plus headsets - like the CIA :-). He just had a camera which I'd never seen before... The new Pentax ('one' of the new models anyway).

At first I saw the back and thought it could be a D300 with a battery grip, but then I saw the front, with the Pentax logo and a DA* 50-135 on it. Cool! Anyway, all I can tell you is this:

Compared to my K10D, this was what stood out:

It has a big screen at the back.

Couldn't tell if it had a battery grip, or if it was moulded into the body, like the D3.

It was shooting at the same speed as the D3's (or near enough) - very, very fast FPS.

The weirdest bit was this - the D3 shooters were chimping every now and then. But the Pentax shooter didn't chimp once, in the 5 minutes I saw him shoot god knows how many shots, he didn't check a single frame - from the back at least - maybe he was reviewing them in the viewfinder? Don't know. And this guy was the lead photog, he got first dibs at every op, and the others all deferred to him.

If you're wondering why I didn't walk up and go "hey man! cool, is that the new K something?" - you should have seen these guys (and one girl on one of the D3's) - they looked like they were at the end of the longest day of their lives. I've never seen a group of people look less happy making a living. And they were sticking like glue to this very rich looking wedding party - not exactly an opportune time to strike up a conversation.

Wasn't going to post this, because I thought, "what the hell would Pentax be doing, trialing a new camera in Brisbane, Australia?.. nope, I saw what I saw, and the DA*50-135 is a VERY distinctive lens - which I have actually used.

If you think this is fiction, good, because I would if I'd have read this - but I saw what I saw. And I've been seriously considering getting a Nikon D3 for it's FPS and low light ability (starting to sell photos now, and pet photography is where I want to go - so, action shots in poor light are typical) - after seeing what I saw on the weekend, I'm going to put the idea on hold until Pentax anounces their new gear - hopefully, it will be cheaper than Nikons.
Like in the X-Files, That was a real UFO you saw...I know because I saw the same UFO only really close up. Like I said, Pentax are really going to shake up the market. Of course there will be those that will bitch about stuff that really doesn't matter that much in terms of real front line usage. I mean, when I shoot, I want to forget I'm holding a camera. My idea of a good camera is when I forget I am holding a camera. The more transparent it is in its use the better. The new Pentax is one of those cameras that get very close to that ideal. Not perfect, but what is?

Yup, from the sound of it, you saw the holy grail. Just remember the old adage, "always keep your eyes on the other hand than that which is doing the trick" or something like that.

Ben
"K...D" what?

Last edited by benjikan; 12-17-2007 at 07:12 PM.
12-17-2007, 07:05 PM   #6
Veteran Member

I believe you,
After all every good company wants their product tested in the real world before they release it into the public.

I'm very interested in seeing what it's like, and will hopefully be kicking myself soon for working something out with Canada's only stocking Sigma Camera dealer
12-17-2007, 07:32 PM   #7
Forum Member

Oh **** - I was determined that I would keep my K10D for a couple of years - looks like I have to start saving like mad for middle of next year - still, I will know for sure in about a month, I guess.

Why am I starting to sweat

Rod

12-17-2007, 07:33 PM   #8
Inactive Account

Original Poster
a couple more things...

Compared to the D3 shooters, the Pentax photog looked to be doing it easier - camera weight wise. You could see that the cameras' weight was in issue with the two D3 shooters, as they went from portrait orientation and back. When the Pentax shooter did this, it looked like he could have done it with one hand.

Probably nothing, but at no time did I see the rear LCD show anything on the Pentax... certainly no sign of a 'live-view' system being used.

The last weird thing, and the first thing I noticed about this K whatever Pentax, it looked really, really expensive. I know that sounds silly, but the D3's looked like they were pregnant (ie: not very attractive as these things go), but the Pentax just looked like it was made of higher quality stuff... when you notice things visual (like most of us who visit this forum) this really stood out. Can't put my finger on it, as to why, it just did.

Unlike Ben (hi Ben, LOVE your medium format PS action - thankyou!), I've posted everything I remember from what I saw - but then, I haven't signed an NDA :-)
12-17-2007, 07:38 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Ben said it best... I sometimes forget I have a camera when I'm in the groove - it just becomes an extension of me, it's not really there, whatever it is called...

It certainly sounds like you've seen a new body, based on what you've stated... and what I know (NDA - sorry). I am confident it will address several areas (for my needs), plus much more...

Cheers,
Marc
12-17-2007, 07:47 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by 123K10D Quote
Compared to the D3 shooters, the Pentax photog looked to be doing it easier - camera weight wise. You could see that the cameras' weight was in issue with the two D3 shooters, as they went from portrait orientation and back. When the Pentax shooter did this, it looked like he could have done it with one hand.

Probably nothing, but at no time did I see the rear LCD show anything on the Pentax... certainly no sign of a 'live-view' system being used.

The last weird thing, and the first thing I noticed about this K whatever Pentax, it looked really, really expensive. I know that sounds silly, but the D3's looked like they were pregnant (ie: not very attractive as these things go), but the Pentax just looked like it was made of higher quality stuff... when you notice things visual (like most of us who visit this forum) this really stood out. Can't put my finger on it, as to why, it just did.

Unlike Ben (hi Ben, LOVE your medium format PS action - thankyou!), I've posted everything I remember from what I saw - but then, I haven't signed an NDA :-)
To sum it up..What you saw was akin to a solid piece of finely ergonomically carved black granite. It didn't look like an after thought design wise...
12-17-2007, 07:47 PM   #11
Veteran Member

I would have thought that being a pre-release evaluation model they would have at least gaffered the camera body. But I guess with 1 month more to formal announcement, there isn't anything more to cover up. The Pentax factory must be churning out production even as we speak...
12-17-2007, 07:47 PM   #12
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Now this is interesting. I can visualize another body that might make the K10D my backup. Nice to hear that the lead shooter was so comfortable with his gear that he just shot without having to second guess his results. If he was indeed the lead shooter at a wedding that could pay a pro crew of 4, then this guy had to be totally confident in the camera's abilities.

Time to start saving for the summer.
12-17-2007, 07:58 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Ohhhh sounds very interesting. Higher FPS would be very welcome, maybe Pentax UK can reuse their "Ideal Action" campaign ()especially if they plan on releasing the DA* 200 & 300 around the same time....onwards and upwards.
12-17-2007, 08:04 PM   #14
Veteran Member

With all this talk about features this, ISO that, frame rate this, focus speed that, I haven't read much of anything about ergonomics. The thought of the an ergonomic design that would rival the Minolta 7D is the first thing to peak my interest.

I wonder if the cam holds any advantages for us MF users, or better metering with legacy glass...
12-17-2007, 08:19 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by benjikan Quote
To sum it up..What you saw was akin to a solid piece of finely ergonomically carved black granite. It didn't look like an after thought design wise...

Ben, have you SEEN the new cameras?
Closed Thread