Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-20-2007, 01:57 PM   #61
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I believe, I believe...

12-20-2007, 02:28 PM   #62
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by 123K10D Quote
The weirdest bit was this - the D3 shooters were chimping every now and then. But the Pentax shooter didn't chimp once, in the 5 minutes I saw him shoot god knows how many shots, he didn't check a single frame - from the back at least - maybe he was reviewing them in the viewfinder?
When I used film, I too never checked a single frame - and I did not review them in the viewfinder.
What is so weird about that?
12-20-2007, 02:47 PM   #63
m8o
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RMabo Quote
When I used film, I too never checked a single frame - and I did not review them in the viewfinder.
What is so weird about that?
As my rear screen is broken, it's been the same for me the last few months.
12-20-2007, 04:53 PM   #64
wll
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jgredline Quote
I believe, I believe...

LOL, LOL

wll

12-21-2007, 04:10 AM   #65
Veteran Member

Um..

Good news if it is not a K10. But are you sure? Anyway, the new Pentax won't be a Full Frame DSLR, unlike the D3 and 1DS.

QuoteOriginally posted by 123K10D Quote
This is what I saw. Last Sunday (at dusk) a very slick wedding photog crew - 3 photogs/1 video op. Two of the photogs had Nikon D3's, and even though the light was low, these things were hammering out shots - like 6 - 8 per second - probably ISO6400 and their 2.8 zooms.

Anyway, the third photog didn't have all the extra camera gear that the Nikon shooters had (shoulder bag thingies) and something around their necks plus headsets - like the CIA :-). He just had a camera which I'd never seen before... The new Pentax ('one' of the new models anyway).

At first I saw the back and thought it could be a D300 with a battery grip, but then I saw the front, with the Pentax logo and a DA* 50-135 on it. Cool! Anyway, all I can tell you is this:

Compared to my K10D, this was what stood out:

It has a big screen at the back.

Couldn't tell if it had a battery grip, or if it was moulded into the body, like the D3.

It was shooting at the same speed as the D3's (or near enough) - very, very fast FPS.

The weirdest bit was this - the D3 shooters were chimping every now and then. But the Pentax shooter didn't chimp once, in the 5 minutes I saw him shoot god knows how many shots, he didn't check a single frame - from the back at least - maybe he was reviewing them in the viewfinder? Don't know. And this guy was the lead photog, he got first dibs at every op, and the others all deferred to him.

If you're wondering why I didn't walk up and go "hey man! cool, is that the new K something?" - you should have seen these guys (and one girl on one of the D3's) - they looked like they were at the end of the longest day of their lives. I've never seen a group of people look less happy making a living. And they were sticking like glue to this very rich looking wedding party - not exactly an opportune time to strike up a conversation.

Wasn't going to post this, because I thought, "what the hell would Pentax be doing, trialing a new camera in Brisbane, Australia?.. nope, I saw what I saw, and the DA*50-135 is a VERY distinctive lens - which I have actually used.

If you think this is fiction, good, because I would if I'd have read this - but I saw what I saw. And I've been seriously considering getting a Nikon D3 for it's FPS and low light ability (starting to sell photos now, and pet photography is where I want to go - so, action shots in poor light are typical) - after seeing what I saw on the weekend, I'm going to put the idea on hold until Pentax anounces their new gear - hopefully, it will be cheaper than Nikons.
12-21-2007, 04:20 AM   #66
Veteran Member

I believe, I believe...

LOL! It really looks like an UFO story for what a witness told! :-)
12-21-2007, 04:28 AM   #67
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I have a brand new credit card....polished and waiting!

12-21-2007, 04:58 AM   #68
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RiceHigh Quote
LOL! It really looks like an UFO story for what a witness told! :-)
Ah Rice High Nice to hear from you again. You'll love the new camera. It's 1 Fps, 2.3 Mp, 50,000 pixel 1x1" LCD. Total plastic chassis. 1 AF point and uses the original AF system from the SF-X. it should give you hours of writing pleasure. I can't wait till your next blog installments.
12-21-2007, 05:27 AM   #69

Good news if it is not a K10. But are you sure? Anyway, the new Pentax won't be a Full Frame DSLR, unlike the D3 and 1DS.
It won't cost one fifth of their price either....
12-21-2007, 07:18 AM   #70

Sounds very interesting.

Did you happen to ask if it would still work with my FA Limiteds?
12-21-2007, 07:39 AM   #71
Veteran Member

new request for pentax after digging myself out of the latest snowstorm: Hey pentax, can you put a snowblower in this thing?
12-21-2007, 07:58 AM   #72
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by B051LjKo Quote
It won't cost one fifth of their price either....
It won't be as good neither if so.
12-21-2007, 08:04 AM   #73
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Peter Zack Quote
Ah Rice High Nice to hear from you again. You'll love the new camera. It's 1 Fps, 2.3 Mp, 50,000 pixel 1x1" LCD. Total plastic chassis. 1 AF point and uses the original AF system from the SF-X. it should give you hours of writing pleasure. I can't wait till your next blog installments.
1 fps - my old reliable Ricoh FF-9 P&S has this frame rate!

2.3 MP - the Pentax's first DSLR EI-2000 has this pixel count and well, it is a good camera!

1" LCD - only very old mobile phone with camera has this!

1 point original AF system of SFX - it is actually more accurate than most of the Pentax DSLRs which are designed and produced two decades later! Ridicious? But, it's true. Believe it or not! The SFX has red focus assist beam built-in in the body too. What is it in the K10 or K100? Annoying continous flashing pulses for AF?
12-21-2007, 08:45 AM   #74
Veteran Member

I believe, I believe...
[/IMG]
Is that Pentax new GPS-controlled 3D multi-angular camera with Anti-Gravitational Shake Reduction?
12-21-2007, 10:24 AM   #75
Inactive Account

Well RiceHigh, according to you we won't even have a new DSLR announced in January. Do you wish to retract that statement?
Closed Thread