Photos: Gallery | Albums
might just have been a pro being spotted

that didn't NEED to chimp
Cheers,
Torge

01-23-2008, 06:32 PM   #167
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Maybe it was a D3 in disguise....it wasn't the K20D....
02-13-2009, 09:15 AM   #168

Check this link...

QuoteOriginally posted by 123K10D Quote
This is what I saw. Last Sunday (at dusk) a very slick wedding photog crew - 3 photogs/1 video op. Two of the photogs had Nikon D3's, and even though the light was low, these things were hammering out shots - like 6 - 8 per second - probably ISO6400 and their 2.8 zooms.

Anyway, the third photog didn't have all the extra camera gear that the Nikon shooters had (shoulder bag thingies) and something around their necks plus headsets - like the CIA :-). He just had a camera which I'd never seen before... The new Pentax ('one' of the new models anyway).

At first I saw the back and thought it could be a D300 with a battery grip, but then I saw the front, with the Pentax logo and a DA* 50-135 on it. Cool! Anyway, all I can tell you is this:

Compared to my K10D, this was what stood out:

It has a big screen at the back.

Couldn't tell if it had a battery grip, or if it was moulded into the body, like the D3.

It was shooting at the same speed as the D3's (or near enough) - very, very fast FPS.

The weirdest bit was this - the D3 shooters were chimping every now and then. But the Pentax shooter didn't chimp once, in the 5 minutes I saw him shoot god knows how many shots, he didn't check a single frame - from the back at least - maybe he was reviewing them in the viewfinder? Don't know. And this guy was the lead photog, he got first dibs at every op, and the others all deferred to him.

If you're wondering why I didn't walk up and go "hey man! cool, is that the new K something?" - you should have seen these guys (and one girl on one of the D3's) - they looked like they were at the end of the longest day of their lives. I've never seen a group of people look less happy making a living. And they were sticking like glue to this very rich looking wedding party - not exactly an opportune time to strike up a conversation.

Wasn't going to post this, because I thought, "what the hell would Pentax be doing, trialing a new camera in Brisbane, Australia?.. nope, I saw what I saw, and the DA*50-135 is a VERY distinctive lens - which I have actually used.

If you think this is fiction, good, because I would if I'd have read this - but I saw what I saw. And I've been seriously considering getting a Nikon D3 for it's FPS and low light ability (starting to sell photos now, and pet photography is where I want to go - so, action shots in poor light are typical) - after seeing what I saw on the weekend, I'm going to put the idea on hold until Pentax anounces their new gear - hopefully, it will be cheaper than Nikons.
22MP DFX body: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

Maybe Pentax has something reallly innovative for us at PMA. Maybe latwer, though.

02-13-2009, 09:28 AM   #169
Veteran Member

Interesting, but I do not have the patience to read the DPReview forum, if that site ever stepped into the 20th century and upgraded the forum software, I would probably troll that site.

02-13-2009, 09:29 AM   #170
Veteran Member

What??? Why???

Why revive a thread that's over a year old???
02-13-2009, 09:30 AM   #171
Veteran Member

Kind of an old thread to be sticking *that* bit of speculation on.
02-13-2009, 09:50 AM   #172
Veteran Member

damn I was just starting to get excited! Then I read the date over a year old man!!!

02-13-2009, 10:42 AM   #173

thank you for reminding us

i got excited by the "rumor" then i noticed the original posting date

thank you for reminding us not to get caught up in the rumor mongering as the day leading upto PMA tick away

between PMA and NAB its a bit of speculation overload

QuoteOriginally posted by tigrebleu Quote
22MP DFX body: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

Maybe Pentax has something reallly innovative for us at PMA. Maybe latwer, though.

02-13-2009, 11:03 AM   #174
ogl
Banned

Pay attention that the user has only 4 posts and registered on June, 2006.
Strange. Maybe it's true - K3D with 23.5*23.5 mm sensor.

The rumor about APS-H sensor is old, it was before K20D.
Before K10D, there was the rumor about Samsung sensor.

Square sensor 22 Mp with main APS-C 14.6 MP mode is cool.
It's much better than classical APS-H sensor 28*19 mm.
02-13-2009, 11:14 AM   #175
Veteran Member

OMG, WTF brought this thread back? I'm reading the first page with my mouth watering and heart racing. After I turn the page and see the date is 2007, my heart just dropped. Reading the first post and automatically thinking it was the k20d. Sigh. Stop bringing old **** back...
02-13-2009, 11:14 AM   #176
Veteran Member

Square sensor though for a brand who's main customers shoot high quality landscapes!?
Still it could be interesting, I see the square format sensor more suited to the medium format camera
02-13-2009, 11:19 AM   #177
ogl
Banned

maybe Mr. dave9t5
Posters Profile: dave9t5: Digital Photography Review
is insider?
02-13-2009, 11:23 AM   #178
m8o
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dave sz Quote
OMG, WTF brought this thread back? I'm reading the first page with my mouth watering and heart racing. After I turn the page and see the date is 2007, my heart just dropped. Reading the first post and automatically thinking it was the k20d. Sigh. Stop bringing old **** back...
die necro-thread die! (edit: tho, I hope my "Your Pet a Day" thread never dies! )
02-13-2009, 11:24 AM   #179
ogl
Banned

If we have a look at the situation with Pentax lenses and economical situation at photo market, square sensor is the genius and great move of Pentax.
The area of sensor is a bit more than classical 3:2 APS-H sensor.
It could be top camera of Pentax for a long period.
02-13-2009, 11:55 AM   #180
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Its a very interesting idea but I have a few concerns:

The bigger sensor is going to be costly but explaining the benefit to a potential customer who isn't already a very experienced SLR or DSLR user is going to be tough.

How will this be represented in the viewfinder? If it isn't then it'll be a touch confusing, especially when shooting in highspeed mode.

Also, I'm not sure I want 22mp RAW files on my hard disk when I will be cropping almost every shot I take from a square format. I also would want unaltered RAWs but not have to manually adjust or confirm the crop when I process them. How will the crop chosen be represented in the RAW in such a way that I do not have a load of extra processing to do? If you follow me.

Who will produce such an innovative sensor? Samsung? It sounds commercially risky... and given the times....?

Also this would take some serious R&D time and money - anything left to spend on AF and exposure systems?

Hmmmmmm.......

I am sceptical
Closed Thread