Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-24-2011, 10:32 AM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Walmart.ca does not carry the Pentax BTW just .com
the only 2 dslr i saw on the canada site were the rebel xs and rebel t3, no sony, nikon, olympus or pana interchangeable lens product

11-25-2011, 07:50 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteQuote:
DENVER, Nov 23, 2011 (BUSINESS WIRE) -- If you dream of owning a PENTAX K-r digital SLR in a color that stands out in a crowd, your wait is over! PENTAX RICOH IMAGING AMERICAS CORPORATION just announced that the K-r digital SLR will soon be available exclusively on Walmart.com: Save money. Live better. in limited edition colors including pink, purple, blue, green, yellow, navy, metallic brown, gold and silver. Each new color kit ships with an 18-55mm lens and an array of advanced features.
just checked wal-mart.. no color choices listed but ford black.........
New PENTAX K-r Colors Coming to Walmart.com - MarketWatch
11-25-2011, 08:25 PM   #18
Veteran Member

We need to get Pentax more known, nowadays everyone doesn't even know about Pentax...
11-26-2011, 09:09 AM   #19

I have seen a couple of Optios over the years at Wal-Mart, but never a DSLR.

11-28-2011, 07:11 AM   #20
Banned

Walmart: K-5 body only $1,499.98

QuoteOriginally posted by Traveler01 Quote
The Walmart site does not offer the rebates for the K-5. It's $300 more than B&H, Amazon and some camera stores. I would rather not buy from Walmart.
Find this K-5 Pentax Digital SLR Camera at Walmart.com. Save money. Live better.

Plus 7% NJ sales tax for me vs $984.95 w/free shipping from Abe's of Maine w/Promotion Code: LOYALTY15
http://www.abesofmaine.com/item.do?item=PNK5&id=PNK5&%20k-5
11-28-2011, 09:44 AM   #21
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jogiba Quote
Find this K-5 Pentax Digital SLR Camera at Walmart.com. Save money. Live better.

Plus 7% NJ sales tax for me vs $984.95 w/free shipping from Abe's of Maine w/Promotion Code: LOYALTY15
Pentax K-5 Digital SLR Camera Body
Absolutely. If I didn't have the K-5 already... I'd pick one up from Abe's, Amazon, B&H or Adorama today.
12-02-2011, 06:50 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Walmart only carried Pentax online at Walmart.com.
This is good news though if they would carry it in-store since I get a lot of marked down goods in-store.
I'll definitely keep an eye out.
If the Pentaxs' don't sell in-store then the more reason for Walmart to mark them down to be able to sell them..and that would be good news to me indeed!
12-04-2011, 11:27 AM   #23

A quick look at Wal-mart shows two K-5s, a body only kit for $1499, and +18-55 kit lens for $1449.
So much for any 'savings' there. Not in stores near me, listed as online only.
A white k-r with 18-55 seems to be 'on sale' at 699, while bodies alone are listed at 649.
A black K-r with 18-55, otherwise identical to the white K-r kit, is $799.98 - for another $50, you could get the K-r with 18-55 and 55-300 from B&H, or 18-55 = 55-300 for $709 at Amazon.

Whatever it is Wal-Mart's doing, it's not competitive, and not in the stores. It's fine by me in a way, as while I would prefer to not see Amazon take over sales on everything, I'd much rather be ordering from Amazon, Adorama, B&H over Wal-Mart. It would be nice to see some in stores for brand recognition for the masses, though.

12-04-2011, 12:46 PM   #24
Loyal Site Supporter

Walmart is only competitive when it's in store and shopping local pricing otherwise they stick pretty close to accepted MRSP (Maybe they think this fools the competition who likely shop their stores weekly or more)
12-04-2011, 01:13 PM   #25
Pentaxian

Walmart also has a strategy of getting you in the store with advertising and a general reputation for low prices, but they are in-fact priced higher than the competition on many items by design. People think Wal-mart = cheap, so when they want to buy a bigger ticket item they often will just go there thinking the prices will be best for a TV or a lawnmower when they aren't necessarily.
12-04-2011, 01:52 PM   #26
Loyal Site Supporter

Aside from the 1,000 or so items that people tend to have a feel for price on by shopping (ie toilet paper diapers soap bleach etc) they are always high. On the main items though they will sell as a loss leader to get you in and buy the other crap from them. If you dont like walmart and its practices the best way to hurt them is actually to shop them but only for loss leaders. enough people do this and they hurt (can you tell i dont like walmart )
12-04-2011, 03:30 PM   #27
Loyal Site Supporter

Cheaper at Wal Mart - Ain't Always So

This is so true. I went shopping for a lawn mower this past spring. I honestly believed that Wal Mart would be less expensive but I found a better product for less at Sears. You are always smart to do comparison shopping whenever you are in the market for a bigger ticket item.

This was also true of my big screen TV.
12-04-2011, 03:38 PM   #28
Loyal Site Supporter

for electronics in general i think there are better places thn wally world. Even Sears (who really aren't noted for low prices)

Anything large though if i'm not buying a used item the first place i look is local. If local is close on price i'll ask for a match and accept a price close to the best i've found (I actually find I can negotiate a better price in B&M than i can find on line in most cases)
12-04-2011, 06:20 PM   #29
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Pioneer Quote
This is so true. I went shopping for a lawn mower this past spring. I honestly believed that Wal Mart would be less expensive but I found a better product for less at Sears. You are always smart to do comparison shopping whenever you are in the market for a bigger ticket item. This was also true of my big screen TV.
W@lmart uses a trick, they pick one representative product out of a class of products, let's say hair dryers, that has good margins, discount it below their competition, and prominently advertise it. If you walk down the aisles, these are the items sitting in the middle of the floor with a big price sign above them and some nonsense about rolling back prices. What these products are designed to do is make you think that everything that W@lmart carries is an equally good value. So maybe they have a BlowCo hairdryer for $9.95 which is the best price in town on that model, but their price on a Braun hairdryer is actually closer to the MSRP, and who pays retail these days?

It's good that they're selling the K-r at full price, Pentax does not want to be the company that W@lmart picks to be it's "representative price point" for DSLRs, that would mean the end. If it came to that, Pentax would be wise to tell W@lmart where they can shove their price point.

Last edited by maxfield_photo; 12-05-2011 at 12:35 PM.
12-04-2011, 06:29 PM   #30
Veteran Member

On long drives across Mexico we've stayed in or near beautiful elevated Zacatecas a few times. Downtown is at about 8500ft / 2550m and the 'burbs go up to maybe 10500ft / 3150m. World-class museums; downtown looks Italian except for the indigenous people in traditional garb; on the outskirts, a Corona brewery about the size of the Vehicle Assembly Building at Cape Canaveral. And a few Norteamericano-style shopping complexes. I went looking for certain electronics and found that the local W@lMart was the HIGH-PRICE store in town -- much better deals at other megastores nearby. In Zac, only the prosperous can afford W@lMart.

Travel tip: Sometimes the air in Zac seems a bit thin. The beautiful peaceful town of Jerez is about 1/2 hour west of Zac, at 7000ft / 2100m, much easier to breathe. Scenic mountains are nearby; cultural life is astounding; and living is very very inexpensive. One can rent a new McMansion for maybe US$80-100 per month, housekeeper included. Stay on the 9th floor of at the Hotel Leon for a couple days to get acquainted, then rent a house for an extended stay. You'll be glad you did.