Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-18-2007, 08:02 AM   #16
Not Registered

QuoteOriginally posted by Falcons Quote
Have you got those sales figures Gruoso? I will be very suprised if Nikon is anywhere near canon in market share. .
I saw it sometime ago (summer I think) in several places, it was about the marketshare in Japan. Now I can only find this Nikon secures top position in the Japanese DSLR market: News Discussion Forum: Digital Photography Review. I dont know how reliable was the source. In my personal experience, I have seen lately (in the US, Mexico and Spain) way more people using Nikon that all the other brands together. The real think is that I dont care who win the dslr battle but Canon (nor any other company) cannot afford to loose a 5-10% of the market if they can do something to avoid it.

12-18-2007, 08:09 AM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If it's true that Canon also plans to announce new cameras on Jan. 24th and they've chosen that date to counter Pentax's announcement, I see that as a measure of how good the new Pentax offerings may be. Canon wouldn't be concerned unless the new Pentax's represented a threat to Canon's market share.
12-18-2007, 08:57 AM   #18
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Here are the global sales of DSLR by Brand for 2005 & 2006

Global Digital SLR Camera Shipments by Vendor 2006 and 2005

Shipments Share(%) Shipments Share(%)

1. Canon 2,460,339 (46.7) 1,882,162 (49.5)

2. Nikon 1,740,169 (33.0) 1,280,172 (33.7)

3. Sony 326,240 (6.2) 0 0.0

4. Olympus 311,116 (5.9) 217,135 (5.7)

5. Pentax 285,932 (5.4) 175,112 (4.6)

(Source: IDC)

Data can be interpreted different ways but canon took an almost 3 points hit and Nikon dropped 0.7 - so you could say that the growth of Pentax, Oly & Sony has been at the expense of Canon & not Nikon.

Will be interesting to see the 2007 results, particularly for Sony, as I feel the Alpha system has been a bit of a flop (that is only a gut feel though).

I agree with Gruoso that canon wouldn't want another hit of 3% - so I think they may be choosing their enemy so to speak and giving Pentax a marketing hand as it will still be a significant share 46.7% who will be interested in cameras on the 24th and the 5.4% of Pentaxians can ride those coat tails for all it is worth.

Basically Pentax needs approx 2% of canikonites to convert to Pentax to cement a position as number 3.
12-18-2007, 08:57 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Hmmmm...

Picture this - A small room on the top floor of the Canon headquarters building in downtown Tokyo. Six Canon Marketing execs sitting around the conference table:

Yoshi (looking somewhat amused) - So... Pentax is going to make big product announcements?

Tak (smirk on face) - Pentax and big? Is this not oxymoron?

Kaito - (bigger smirk on face) - Want to have some fun?

Haruki - How so?

Kaito - We announce our new products same day!

Tak (making a squashing action with his thumb on the table) - You one evil son of #%!*, Kaito!

Nods and big (but menacing) smiles all around...

12-18-2007, 09:16 AM   #20
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Frankly, if Canon needs that, thay are desperated.

Any so-called pro are serious amateur would check for Canon/Nikon anyway before buying into Pentax.

And replacing a 5D now just after the Mk3 and 40 introduction (and before they even get the mk3 AF right) would be silly.
12-18-2007, 09:33 AM   #21
Not Registered

QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
Frankly, if Canon needs that, thay are desperated.

Any so-called pro are serious amateur would check for Canon/Nikon anyway before buying into Pentax.

And replacing a 5D now just after the Mk3 and 40 introduction (and before they even get the mk3 AF right) would be silly.
IMO, it is not desperation it is pure and simple marketing. If you are an employee of a big company like Canon and you are responsible of a 3% lost in your department (that you could have avoided easily following the abc of marketing) you can start looking around for a new head.

@ Tom Lusk. Lovely scene I think that it is closer to reality that it seems. You forgot to mention that Hoya and Olympus CEO's were being used as chairs
12-18-2007, 09:36 AM   #22
Veteran Member

Will be interesting to see the 2007 results, particularly for Sony, as I feel the Alpha system has been a bit of a flop (that is only a gut feel though).
what makes you feel it is a flop? the true alpha system has been in existence since 1985 -- it's just that sony is now the brand, instead of sony/minolta, which has quite a loyal fanbase..

12-18-2007, 09:43 AM   #23
Veteran Member

1. Canon 2,460,339 (46.7) 1,882,162 (49.5)

2. Nikon 1,740,169 (33.0) 1,280,172 (33.7)

3. Sony 326,240 (6.2) 0 0.0

4. Olympus 311,116 (5.9) 217,135 (5.7)

Data can be interpreted different ways but canon took an almost 3 points hit and Nikon dropped 0.7 - so you could say that the growth of Pentax, Oly & Sony has been at the expense of Canon & not Nikon.

I agree with Gruoso that canon wouldn't want another hit of 3% - so I think they may be choosing their enemy so to speak and giving Pentax a marketing hand as it will still be a significant share 46.7% who will be interested in cameras on the 24th and the 5.4% of Pentaxians can ride those coat tails for all it is worth.

Basically Pentax needs approx 2% of canikonites to convert to Pentax to cement a position as number 3.
That is very OLD news by todays standards. At the same time last year Pentax France had 6% market share and now they have over 17%...Those numbers will change dramatically in the first quarter of 2008.

Ben
12-18-2007, 09:47 AM   #24
JMS

QuoteOriginally posted by Tom Lusk Quote
Picture this - A small room on the top floor of the Canon headquarters building in downtown Tokyo. Six Canon Marketing execs sitting around the conference table:

Yoshi (looking somewhat amused) - So... Pentax is going to make big product announcements?

Tak (smirk on face) - Pentax and big? Is this not oxymoron?

Kaito - (bigger smirk on face) - Want to have some fun?

Haruki - How so?

Kaito - We announce our new products same day!

Tak (making a squashing action with his thumb on the table) - You one evil son of #%!*, Kaito!

Nods and big (but menacing) smiles all around...
ROTFLMFAO!!!
12-18-2007, 11:09 AM   #25
Veteran Member

calender year numbers?

If those are calender year numbers that means Pentax will most likely top 400,000 units in 2007 since they didn't start delivering the K10D until late November. The original projection was for 13,000 a month and I am sure they have surpassed that. A 6 or 6.5% market share is not out of reach. That is very impressive.
12-18-2007, 03:32 PM   #26
Veteran Member

Now if I was Canon I wouldn't be to overly concerned with Pentax, in fact I would be ex tactic that Pentax, Oly & Sony are starting to gain the momentum to nip at the heels of Nikon.
I think it's Canon's share of the market that's being eaten by Pentax/Olympus/Sony.

Personally, Pentax doesn't need to reschedule anything if they have a great product. As well, announcements from Canon or Nikon tend to linger around longer than announcements from other manufacturers, so it might be a long wait for Pentax should they opt to let the news from Canon die down.

Besides, Pentax needs to generate buzz prior to PMA. Otherwise, they won't get the media coverage that's always helpful in getting potential buyers to consider their products.
12-18-2007, 03:37 PM   #27
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by codiac2600 Quote
Sorry no Canon 5D replacement in the works till after the first half of next year and thats a fact. And if it is an XTi replacement it's 10mp, maybe, just maybe a 3in screen, Digic III and still in a crappy plastic shell. How do I know this, because Canon has never made a major upgrade to their prosumer and entry level cameras ever. They only get small to keep them somehwhat refreshed. The XT has been discountinued, so maybe it's an XT replacement which is a garbage camera anyway.
Yup, Canon has to create distinction between models in different price points. But Nikon et al have been chipping away at Canon's entry-level market share, so that might have spurred them to at least get some innovation in their XTi replacement. Or not.

It would also help Canon if they can announce their 5D replacement, if only to stem the tide of potential D3 switchers/buyers.
12-18-2007, 03:43 PM   #28
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jeffkrol Quote
Canon's always seemed to keep a eye on Pentax it seems. Ever since the D was released as the smallest DSLR on the market and Canon had to "one up" it w/ what seemed to me as an interum upgrade of the dreble to have the title of the Smallest DSLR. AND it was regarded as too small by many. Maybe it's just normal for a company to always fear even small losses of market share but I always believed Canon had more of a fear of Pentax than seems reasonable (at least at the time). Maybe it was just from past history, maybe they respected Pentax engineers but Canon certainly seemed (and still seems) to go out of their way to keep them down... Interesting to me, and maybe it's nothing, but Nikon seems to give little notice to Pentax. At best all they did was put AS in their kit lens but that was years (year) later and a bit slow if they were "worried" about Pentax.... Nikon seems to just worry about themselves, Canon worries about everyone else, and as I stated seems disproportiontly worried about Pentax.
Could be a Japanese home market thing (where Pentax popularity is higher than globally). Don't know........
Any camera company worth their salt (and I'm sure all the players are) would always keep tabs with what the other companies are doing. Canon, being the market leader, has even more reason to keep an eye out for *all* competitors, not only Pentax.
12-18-2007, 03:56 PM   #29
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by TaoMaas Quote
If it's true that Canon also plans to announce new cameras on Jan. 24th and they've chosen that date to counter Pentax's announcement, I see that as a measure of how good the new Pentax offerings may be. Canon wouldn't be concerned unless the new Pentax's represented a threat to Canon's market share.
Only if Canon announces a camera in the advanced amateur level would I think that they're concerned the upcoming cameras from Pentax. A simple Rebel iteration wouldn't hack it.
12-18-2007, 04:08 PM   #30
Veteran Member

The problem with Canon is that many of their cameras aren't really groundbreaking. They opt for small incremental upgrades rather than something very dramatic.