Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-23-2007, 09:47 AM   #46
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by nosnoop Quote
Actually, Pentax has the patent of in-body stabilization well before KM, just that they don't have the cash to put it in a body at that time. And you have not given Pentax enough credit for their clever HyperProgram and HyperManual; and Sv/TAV modes; and Av/Tv modes with direct adjustment of ISO. But you are not alone though. Almost no reviews pay any attention to these very useful and innovative handling features which I use every day.

I agree, the SV feature, those obvious takes some thinking out of the film box. It turns the 2 legged milkstool of TV and AV into a 3 legged milk stool, and that is news. News as big as coupling the light meter to the shutter, or producing the '2 legged program mode' in the first place.

12-23-2007, 04:52 PM   #47
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rvannatta Quote
It's the down side of having the announcment date of Pentax leaked ahead of time.
give the other guys a chance to try to steal the thunder and all the editors will
take the canon press release and the Pentax press release and write them into one article and put the Canon first.

I'll be you pentax tinkers with their date a little,--- or keeps the date but has
an 'authorized leak' a few days ahead.... so they can try to get a press headline
instead of an 'also released' subtitle on the bottom of a rephrased canon press release.
Canon can only steal the thunder if they produce the rumored 5D upgrade. If it turns out they only have a 450D to show, then the K20D will possibly garner most of the headlines, unless that 450D has something totally new compared to its predecessor, and enough to match the new features the K20D will have.

What I'm guessing is an incremental upgrade to the 400D (from 10 MP to 12, and then live view, and maybe an incremental bump in FPS count, then the inclusion of the cheap 18-55 IS lens as kit lens). Nothing much to write about there.
12-23-2007, 06:03 PM   #48
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by vinzer Quote
Canon can only steal the thunder if they produce the rumored 5D upgrade. If it turns out they only have a 450D to show, then the K20D will possibly garner most of the headlines, unless that 450D has something totally new compared to its predecessor, and enough to match the new features the K20D will have.

What I'm guessing is an incremental upgrade to the 400D (from 10 MP to 12, and then live view, and maybe an incremental bump in FPS count, then the inclusion of the cheap 18-55 IS lens as kit lens). Nothing much to write about there.
Not much to right about, but C***n marketers will make it into a full article lengthpress release even if the only change is the color of the ink on the shipping crate. When the 'journalist' if you want to call them that cuts and pastes the two press releases together, the bigger company will get the headline and the first part of the article. Biggest company first is simply the default order. After all they bought the biggest ad, and you don't want a call in the middle of the night from their advertizing director...
12-24-2007, 10:28 PM   #49
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rvannatta Quote
Not much to right about, but C***n marketers will make it into a full article lengthpress release even if the only change is the color of the ink on the shipping crate. When the 'journalist' if you want to call them that cuts and pastes the two press releases together, the bigger company will get the headline and the first part of the article. Biggest company first is simply the default order. After all they bought the biggest ad, and you don't want a call in the middle of the night from their advertizing director...
*sigh* I guess you're right. Media outlets probably will give precedence to one who pays their salaries partly...

01-02-2008, 08:28 AM   #50

QuoteOriginally posted by nosnoop Quote
It has been speculated widely that Pentax Press conference has been scheduled on Jan 24 for their big pre-PMA DSLR announcement (and also the embargo date for NDA).

In previous years, manufacturers would try to schedule big announcement on different days to maximize media coverage. E.g. 40D and D3/D300 announcement was separated by 3 days. Now, it looks like Canon decided otherwise and would do the same on the SAME day as Pentax:

Rumor: Canon Announcing Digital Rebel XTi or EOS 5D Successor Jan. 24

What do you think? Is Canon sensing the potential impact of Pentax break through cameras (as hyped) and now trying to lessen the impact? Or was Pentax not even in their consideration when these things were planned (Pentax? What Pentax?)
Do you think Pentax should reschedule the press conference or make a surprise early announcement before Jan 24? Or go head to head with Canon with their presumed 5D replacement or possibly XTi replacement announcement?

Sony is expected to announce some new camera models as well (A500?). So it's going to be a very interesting Jan & PMA 2008 indeed.
I don't think Pentax will have any breakthrough cameras. The cameras will most likely be me-too. It will be the K200D, which is a me-too camera that sort of matches the Nikon D80 in spec, surpassing it in some way (e.g. in body shake reduction) but falling short in others (e.g. pentamirror). The K20D will almost certainly have a 12mp Sony sensor seen in the Nikon D300 and Sony Alpha 700.

So, whenever Pentax chooses to announce its cameras, it will most likely be overshadowed by whatever announcements Canon may have. It would be good for Pentax to announce its me-too cameras before Canon, so it will enjoy a few days of free publicity.

Even if Pentax were to announce a full frame, it would still be overshadowed by the likely announcement of the Canon 5D full frame replacement. A full frame would be a breakthrough for Pentax but no big deal for Canon.
01-02-2008, 12:14 PM   #51

QuoteOriginally posted by codiac2600 Quote
Nikon's D3 high ISO noise is more than a 5D and the IQ is less, so how is this a step forward? Actually ISO 200 is noisier than Canons 5D...

I believe Nikon put a bunch of great features in a really expensive camera at a massive premium again. Some of that technology was Nikons own advances like the leveling in the viewfinder and the massively editable custom functions. Other than that it's a light upgrade. I haven't handled a D3 but customers have brought me in sample pictures to peak at and they are much better than people on DPR make them out to be, but there is still much room for improvement compared to a 1Ds MKII/1Ds MKIIn/ 1Ds MKIII/5D. The colour was stunning compared to the like the 5D which has always been a bit blah to me, but the rendition was les desirable.

ROFLMFAO.
The D3 has a 1-2 stop noise advantage over the 5D. The D3 is cleaner at 3200 than the 5D is at 1600, in fact the D3 at ISO 5000 will match a 5D at ISO 1600. I've used both. The 5D (and 40D which has similar noise performance) are roughly the same performance as the D300 (which is a little cleaner due to better chroma noise reduction) rather than the D3. Both the D3 and the 1DmIII destroy the 5D in high ISO performance.
01-02-2008, 01:46 PM   #52
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Anastigmat Quote
I don't think Pentax will have any breakthrough cameras. The cameras will most likely be me-too. It will be the K200D, which is a me-too camera that sort of matches the Nikon D80 in spec, surpassing it in some way (e.g. in body shake reduction) but falling short in others (e.g. pentamirror). The K20D will almost certainly have a 12mp Sony sensor seen in the Nikon D300 and Sony Alpha 700.

So, whenever Pentax chooses to announce its cameras, it will most likely be overshadowed by whatever announcements Canon may have. It would be good for Pentax to announce its me-too cameras before Canon, so it will enjoy a few days of free publicity.

Even if Pentax were to announce a full frame, it would still be overshadowed by the likely announcement of the Canon 5D full frame replacement. A full frame would be a breakthrough for Pentax but no big deal for Canon.
Why don't you buy yourself a 1dmk3 or a D3 and write your stories in a Canikon forum ?
01-02-2008, 07:10 PM   #53

QuoteOriginally posted by mawz Quote
ROFLMFAO.
The D3 has a 1-2 stop noise advantage over the 5D. The D3 is cleaner at 3200 than the 5D is at 1600, in fact the D3 at ISO 5000 will match a 5D at ISO 1600. I've used both. The 5D (and 40D which has similar noise performance) are roughly the same performance as the D300 (which is a little cleaner due to better chroma noise reduction) rather than the D3. Both the D3 and the 1DmIII destroy the 5D in high ISO performance.
What he is saying is that this is only achieved through softening. The 5D would look just as noiseless if it had as much processing going into eliminating noise.

01-03-2008, 12:54 AM   #54
Veteran Member

This guy anastigmat is probably Rice High's son. Full-frame and 12mp Sony sensor all the time, vinyl scratching... get a life.
01-03-2008, 01:11 AM   #55

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Anastigmat Quote
The K20D will almost certainly have a 12mp Sony sensor seen in the Nikon D300 and Sony Alpha 700.
Just wanted to quote this line for posterity.

bazz.
01-03-2008, 05:45 AM   #56

QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
Why don't you buy yourself a 1dmk3 or a D3 and write your stories in a Canikon forum ?
QuoteOriginally posted by ricardobeat Quote
This guy anastigmat is probably Rice High's son. Full-frame and 12mp Sony sensor all the time, vinyl scratching... get a life.
What's with the opinion-bashing? True or not, can't we have a critical view?
01-03-2008, 01:31 PM   #57
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by fishy Quote
What's with the opinion-bashing? True or not, can't we have a critical view?
You wil prbably get the same reaction if you post 10+ times the exact same baseless .. let's say trash.

But you don't and hopefully will not in the future.
Am I the only having already 3 posters in my ignore list?
01-03-2008, 01:39 PM   #58

QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
You wil prbably get the same reaction if you post 10+ times the exact same baseless .. let's say trash.

But you don't and hopefully will not in the future.
Am I the only having already 3 posters in my ignore list?
3 already huh? Its a great feature that will definitely help reduce blood pressure.
01-03-2008, 01:42 PM   #59
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by equinox Quote
3 already huh? Its a great feature that will definitely help reduce blood pressure.
Sure enough
01-03-2008, 03:04 PM   #60

Well Pentax just intoduced something interesting for digicams.

source: Pentax binoculars

Pentax UA-1 digital camera adapter
Also announced is the Pentax UA-1 digital camera adapter that allows users to attach almost any compact digital camera to the Pentax PF-80ED or PF-65ED series of spotting scopes. The highly adjustable nature of the adapter along with the high-quality optics of the Pentax scopes makes this the perfect digiscoping tool.

This could probably be reworked to fit on a telescope eyepiece as well. I know it is not a DSLR product, however I will assume there are fixed lens camera owners here too.